All by myself for the first time...

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 05:28 am
Suzy- For years you have defined yourself by your relationship to others...........Mommy. Now it is time for you to rediscover Suzy. It is difficult at first. I remember when I saw my son off on the plane to college, I cried my eyes out.

IMO it is important for you to discover who YOU are. What things did you want to do when the kids were around, but couldn't? I would be careful about immersing yourself in a whirlwind of activity, with no purpose other than being busy. That really does not allow you the time to take stock, to really understand what you are all about. One idea is to sit down and make yourself a plan. What would you like to be happening in your life in six months? In a year? Think it through, set your goals, and then take steps to implement them.

As far as cooking is concerned, why don't you make up a dish that would serve three or four, eat one, and put the others in the freezer for later?
In that way you will cut down on the time that you have to spend in the kitchen, and not have to resort to takeout!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:30 am
All the advice above is good suzy. It took me a while to get used to living alone. But know I like it a lot most of the time.

During the lonely times I try to live it fully. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself and boohoo and the go get a pint of Jamoca Almond Fudge and eat the whole thing (chocolate does help). Other lonbely times I go somewhere to a musuem or just a drive.

On the plus side I never have to endure that part where a person says, "why did you do that, that way". Now that is pleasant.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
"why don't you make up a dish that would serve three or four, eat one, and put the others in the freezer for later?" ... I keep meaning to do that! :wink:

"why did you do that, that way". That's true! Iwon't miss that query. Very Happy

I picked up my key this evening! very exciting!
Have avoided packing up, for some reason.
But I took the rest of the week off to move. If
I'm hanging out here too much tomorrow, feel free to yell at me! I gotta get my butt in gear. Confused
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:05 pm
Oh, I'll have a pity party with you!! I'm raising two rotten teenagers and have thoughts of wishing I could run away at times. I haven't been through it myself, but remember a feeling of shock when my youngest was at school full time and I had the whole day alone. I definitely wasn't used to it. I was used to always having someone around me.

I can only imagine coming home to an empty house every day knowing your kids wont be walking in the door. It is a very tough adjustment. It's like your whole life dramatically changes. It is upsetting.

I think you got some great advice. It will take a bit of time to adjust, but you will find things you like to do and a lot more freedom in your life that I think you will learn to enjoy.

Best wishes to you!!
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
Thanks!
I've been on the phone a lot today, transferring the electric and gas bills, changing my address for many of my credit accounts, blah blah.
Realizing I'll probably have to live without cable TV.
Ever so slowly packing my things...
Do I need to order new checks, or can I use these ones until they run out? I still have a whole box!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 01:21 pm
suzy wrote:
Do I need to order new checks, or can I use these ones until they run out? I still have a whole box!

Depends did you change your Drives license?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
suzy wrote:
Thanks!
I've been on the phone a lot today, transferring the electric and gas bills, changing my address for many of my credit accounts, blah blah.
Realizing I'll probably have to live without cable TV.
Ever so slowly packing my things...

Suzy
You can use up all your checks until they're gone. All you have to do is white out or cross out your old address on the check and write in your new address. I still use my checks from when I lived in Mass.

Husker
Changing her license would have no effect on her checks.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
Wrong they would not match - that being the problem - which in I would wait until I was either:
1. out of checks
2. forced to change my license

what I was saying is don't change it until you have to
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
Husker
Your bank checks have nothing to do with your license. I have a Canadian license now and changing my license had no effect on my bank account there.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
it the address on them both sweets when 1 and 1 do not compute you have trouble
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:52 pm
Not true husker ;-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:21 pm
I beg to differ but this isn't the place.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:27 pm
When I moved here, I changed my info with the RMV. They sent me a sticker with the new address to put on the back of my license, that's all. So I guess I will get that again. The front of my license still has my Natick address, while my checks are of this town. Nobody has ever asked about the discrepancy, and nobody ever looks at the back of my license, so I guess I'll be okay using these, right? I'll be in the same town I'm in now. Minutes away, actually. If I were real strong, I could just carry my furniture to my new place!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:30 pm
Husker
You obviously change your address with the bank when you move so you can get your statements. I am proof that you are wrong. I moved to another country where I obviously changed my license and I have been using the same checks I had before I moved 4 years ago and I have never run into that problems. I don't mean to argue with you about it here, but Suzy has enough on her plate right now to have to worry about more.
Trust me, I'm right on this one.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
another note on the husker/montana issue...my checks have a po box on them....so, its very easy although some people never got it--ones a mailing address..a few managers were called over on occassion but, you know..after a while..its just no big deal.
Now, I only write 1 check a month..and she knows where I live..the landlord Smile

suzy--Quincy is hard to get down till you've circled the church a few dozen times on Hancock. After that its just about where you really want to get to and which way you want to get there. You'll have to join us like k says....it would be good for ya...and we dont bite but, we do tend to laugh a great deal Smile Always willing to go gind someone lost in Quincy somewhere...at this point I know alot of the usual somewheres that people get lost in so, that helps Wink

As for the single thing, takes a it of getting used to right at first...then..zoom..its all good.
I try to make a monster meal once a week and put extras up for lunches/dinners for late nights, etc. It works out really well. I do find though that the longer I live alone..the harder it is for me to eat a real meal, or a healthy meal each and every day--half the time, I just nibble and forget it.
You do Thirsty Thursdays??? WOW...thats kewl. It must be an area thing I guess. Must start those up again now that its nice weather myself.
Doing things for yourself, and doing things when you want to do them are both areas you'll have to explore the possibilities on, it might take a it of getting used to but, you'll enjoy it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:34 pm
Suzy
You'll be just fine. Hey, I moved to another country and that's one thing I never had any problems with. I still have my bank account over there and everything is A-OK :-D

No worries ;-)

If I was still there Suzy, I'd help you with your move. I know how time consuming it can be.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:35 pm
Yeah, Thirsty Thursday prob'ly is a townie thing here. I guess I'll miss it this week (if I have any sense)! Time will tell... Smile I guess I could attempt a crock-pot meal for a week, anyway. I really prob'ly should get myself on a schedule, but it's never been my thing. I'm not sure I even have any goals beyond (bleep)... (second thoughts on putting that here!) "till you've circled the church a few dozen times on Hancock." Ah,yes, the freakin church! Smile
We will surely hook up at some point!
Thank, Montana. I hate moving.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:39 pm
Me too Suzy. I'll be thinking of you.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:53 pm
Crock Pots be the answer to many a things....I say go with it Smile
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
Actually, you do legally have two months to change your drivers license or can be cited for this. This only applies if you happen to get pulled over or get into an accident, your fault or not.

I got pulled over on my way home from work on the expressway after moving and not changing my address. I was going less than 10mph over the limit and had cars right on my bumper and zipping around me. I sped up. I got pulled over by a state trooper. They take no bull. Thankfully, he left we with a verbal warning is all, but I could have been cited for speeding and who knows what fine they have in store for you because you did not report a new address. It's not worth the risk.

These two things are an easy and cheap fix. Yes, you can use your checks with the old address. You can also get away with the drivers license. I am one with the only accident where I was at fault when I first learned to drive. I get a ticket maybe once every seven years for speeding, as usual in stupid places, that are cop traps where you would cause a traffic jam driving the speed limit.

My car has been hit at a complete stop twice. What is this about red cars? Mine is actually a deep burgandy color, but they still have that dreaded repuatation. Now, I believe it! Anyway, in case of an accident some other moron caused or being pulled over, you better go on the safe side and get you license changed. It's cheap, but you might want a touch up on you new pic and lie about your new weight! lol! It doesn't cost much at all, but does require a trip to the courthouse and time. Do it.

As far as the checks go, you can use them easily for bills. I hate wasting money as much as anyone. A box of checks really isn't that expensive either. Order new ones with your current address. I adore my credit/debit card and wear it out. All stores don't accept this.

I would advise to spend less than $25 on both. Get yourself a new drivers license within two months or you are out of legal compliance. You never know what can happen when you turn that key and it isn't necessarily your fault at all. You can be cited, wich will cost a lot more money than you will ever save, by not getting a new and correct drivers license.

I don't go for pretty checks. We are talking about roughly $15 here. Get new checks with the correct address. If you use a card that takes dirrectly from your checking account as I do, it could take an eternity to go through one box of checks with the wrong address. Get new ones.

We are talking petty cash and very little time here. Moving has it's costs and these two are so minimal it isn't worth it to save a box of checks or be out of compliance with the law.
0 Replies