Congratulations, House Republicans!

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:13 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Lip service is all liberals give the military. The VA deaths tell you that.

I'm a vet. I use VA and I know who's screwing with VA funding. Its people like you. Go **** yourself.

http://www.legion.org/veteransbenefits/95316/legion-opposes-proposal-cut-va-spending (another source you don't like, right?)

Legion opposes proposal to cut VA spending
The American Legion - January 29, 2011
Featured in Veterans Benefits Center
Legion opposes proposal to cut VA spending

Responding to a proposal by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) to freeze VA health-care spending and cut veterans disability payments to help reduce federal spending, American Legion National Commander Jimmie L. Foster said his organization steadfastly opposes the initiative.

"It is absurd to suggest such a thing when we are fighting two wars and creating more veterans every day who have served their country honorably and have already earned their benefits," Foster said.

The plan, which proposes to cut a total of $400 billion in federal spending, is derived from an Oct. 28 report from the Heritage Foundation that projects $2.5 billion in savings from a freeze on VA health-care spending increases, and $1.9 billion in savings from scrapping disability payments for veterans already receiving Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) .

Peter Gaytan, executive director of The American Legion's office in Washington, said "Congress must find other ways to reduce federal spending that don't affect veterans benefits and health care.

"The need for high-quality veterans health care certainly isn't decreasing, so the VA budget shouldn't, either. Congress needs to stay focused on providing an adequate budget to care for those who have made sacrifices in Iraq, Afghanistan or in previous wars."

Tim Tetz, legislative director of The American Legion, said the idea of taking SSDI away from veterans receiving disability payments "has been floated before and thankfully defeated every time.

"Why would anyone want to take away disability benefits veterans have already paid for, simply because they have earned additional benefits through their honorable service in the military?"

The American Legion has consistently opposed any attempts by Congress to reduce or eliminate veterans benefits. It considers such benefits as earned and has urged the federal government to find other methods to reduce its expanding budget.

The Legion stands by the sentiments expressed long ago by George Washington: "The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

"Of all the items in our federal budget that could be drastically cut, or dispensed with altogether, why would a member of Congress think it might be a good idea to take benefits away from those people who protect the very freedoms they operate under?" Foster said.

Foster said he agreed that Congress needs to take decisive action in reducing the federal budget, "but we must be mindful of the sacrifices borne by the men and women who have served and sacrificed in America's armed forces."

GOP blocks veterans jobs bill with budget vote

By Ramsey Cox

Senate Republicans stopped the veterans jobs bill Wednesday by forcing a budget point of order vote.

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (R-Ill.) requested a motion to waive the budget point of order, which was raised by Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.). Democrats needed 60 votes, but got only 58.

“This violates the Budget Control Act, there is no dispute about it,” Sessions said in a floor speech Wednesday. “The bill will not even go through the House and it violates the Constitution because it says revenue bills must be started in the House ... [and] this is a revenue bill.”

The Veterans Jobs Corp Act would have created new job-training programs to help veterans find work in targeted fields such as national park conservation, historic preservation projects, police work and firefighting, among others.

Sens. Scott Brown (Mass.), Susan Collins (Maine), Dean Heller (Nev.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Olympia Snowe (Maine) were the only Republicans who voted for the waiver, in a 58-40 vote.

“It’s clear that commonsense bipartisan legislation is being thwarted in this chamber over politics,” said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), who sponsored the bill.

The $1 billion bill was to have paid for itself with new revenue over 10 years. Republican senators say the bill allows for more spending at the Veterans Administration than what was agreed to in the Budget Control Act, which is why they raised a point of order.

“This point of order puts a price on what we are willing to provide our veterans and it says ‘not a penny more,’ ” Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairwoman Patty Murray (D-Wash.) said before the vote. “It’s a point of order that will not only kill our ability to pass this bill, but that could also affect nearly every effort we make to improve the lives of veterans going forward.”

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said these types of pay-go bills are part of the problem of the growing national debt.

“The question in my mind is, will we at some point in the future recognize the hole we’re in,” Coburn said on the floor Wednesday. “When we find ourselves in $16 trillion of debt and we pay for a five-year bill over 10 years, we make the problem worse.”

S. 3457 has been returned to the calendar, leaving H.J.Res. 117, the six-month spending resolution passed by the House last week, as the only business left in the Senate before election recess. That vote on the motion to proceed to the resolution is expected shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday.

If the waiver had gotten enough votes, the Senate would have proceeded to a vote on the motion to end debate on an amendment by Murray. Her substitute included provisions by Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.).

“At every turn, we have sought compromise. But instead of meeting us halfway, we have been met with resistance,” Murray said. “Instead of saying yes to the nearly one million unemployed veterans, it seems some on the other side have spent the last week and a half seeking out any way to say no.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/09/23/senate-gop-obstructionists-throw-veterans-under-the-bus-vote-down-bill-to-help-vets-in-need-of-jobs/2/ (Forbes, the guy who wrote the Communist Manifesto)

Senate GOP Obstructionists Throw Veterans Under The Bus-Vote Down Bill To Help Vets In Need Of Jobs

Logo of the Veterans' Employment and Training ...

For those who continue to believe that obstructionism at any cost is not the goal of the Senate Republicans, consider the behavior of the GOP Senators who, on Friday, blocked a bi-partisan effort to pass a bill that would put veterans to work in jobs that look after the nation’s federal land while also giving our fighting men and women a leg up when it comes to getting them hired by local police and fire departments.

The legislation would have provided a relatively small allocation of $1 billion in funds to accomplish the goals of the program.

In order to bring the bill to the floor, a procedural vote was required to waive a technical limit placed on such spending as agreed to in Congress during last year’s budgetary fiasco. Despite the sum of money having been fully offset by cuts and modifications to other planned expenditures, Senate Republicans used the required vote to shoot down the proposed legislation as the Democrats, with some Republican assistance, were able to manage only 58 of the 60 votes required to accomplish the waiver.

Commenting on the loss, Senate Veterans’ Affairs Chairwoman Patty Murray (D-Washington) confirmed that the cost of the bill—which was to be spent over a five-year period—had been fully offset, thereby adding nothing to the deficit as a result of the effort. But even the offset could not overcome the votes of the Republican Senators who would so willingly play politics to the profound detriment of those to whom we owe the most.

“A vote to support this point of order says that despite the fact that we have paid for this bill, despite the fact that one in four young veterans are out of work, despite the fact that veterans suicides are outpacing combat deaths, and despite the fact that more and more veterans are coming home, we are not going to invest in these challenges,” Murray said.

It was not just the Senate Democrats left stunned by the callous and ungrateful behavior of their peers.

GOP Senators Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Susan Collins and Oympia Snow of Maine, and Dean Heller of Nevada joined with the opposition in the effort to provide our veterans with a bit of help.

While Senator Heller indicated that he was proud to support the bill, noting “After everything our veterans have done for us, the least we can do is make sure they are afforded every opportunity to thrive here at home”, GOP Senator Tom Coburn provided the rationale for those who were in opposition—

“We ought to do nothing now that makes the problem worse for our kids and grandkids,”

Apparently, while Senator Coburn is consumed with worry over how a $1 billion spending bill might impact on our children and grandchildren somewhere down the road, the Senator—along with his unappreciative cohorts in the Senate—was unable to generate much concern for the more present and immediate impact their votes have on the children of our veterans who go off to risk their lives for their country and return unable to gain employment. One is additionally left to ponder what those veterans who did not make it home—leaving their children to live with the most immediate and tragic consequences—would think about Senator Coburn’s priorities.

So, allow me —just this once—to speak on behalf of my grandchild as I’m convinced she would say it herself were she not just shy of 3 years old.

Go ahead and spend the money, Senator Coburn. My grandchild will gladly risk the exposure to whatever debt you believe she may inherit from this $1 billion expenditure and will do so willingly and proudly if it will help someone’s mommy or daddy, who recently returned from risking his or her life in Afghanistan for my granddaughter’s country, to get a job.

I think we all understand that we are in the heat of an election year and that Republicans want to do all they can to deny the President re-election. Fine. That’s politics.

But how does even the most dedicated Republican live with the knowledge that their party’s top elected officials can so easily cast a vote to send an American solider off to war, only to refuse a comparatively small sum of money to help that veteran get his or her life back in they event they actually make it home?

With 720,000 unemployed veterans of foreign wars in the United States—220,000 of whom have served since the events of September 11, 2001—it is clear that we cannot count on these elected officials to do the right thing.

So, my suggestion and reminder is that you do the job yourself. Hire a veteran…and then hire another one.

If these shameful chuckleheads—and let’s be clear that I speak of Republican elected officials— cannot muster the decency to take responsibility and do what should be done, we’re just going to have to find a way to do the job for them.

UPDATE: A Twitter friend notes that Republican Senators Mike Johanns from Nebraska, Richard Burr from North Carolina, Pat Toomey from Pennsylvania, and John Boozman from Arkansas actually co-wrote this piece of legislation to help our veterans only to turn around and vote to kill it. Just following orders, I suppose, and doing what is required…putting the Republican Party first.

Contact Rick at [email protected] and follow me on Twitter @rickungar
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:25 am
@coldjoint,

GOP Voted Against 7 Bills to Help Veterans since Obama took office--- May 2012

Here's the Bills in numerical order. In short, the GOP has voted TO NOT SUPPORT THE TROOPS at least 7 times. I think that is sufficient to call the GOP House Hypocrites and Phonies.

Bill's Blocked By Republican's Since President Obama Took Office.

David Gregory, John McCain, and the media aren't covering this story so we have to.

Here's a concise extraction for easy viewing for those who are INTERESTED IN VETERANS ISSUES and need to know which party supports veterans and which party does not.

The rejected Bills are named:

H.R. 466 – Wounded Veteran Job Security Act became H. R. 2875.

H.R. 1168 -- Veterans Retraining Act

H.R. 1171 – Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization

H.R. 1172 -- Requiring List on VA Website of Organizations Providing Scholarships for Veterans

H.R. 1293 -- Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009

H.R. 1803 -- Veterans Business Center Act

H.R. 2352 – Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act

DETAILS OF BILLS REJECTED BY REPUBLICANS:

H.R. 466 – Wounded Veteran Job Security Act – This bill would actually provide job security for veterans who are receiving medical treatment for injuries suffered while fighting in defense of their country. It would prohibit employers from terminating
employees who miss work while receiving treatment for a service-related disability.

H.R. 1168 -- Veterans Retraining Act – This bill would provide for assistance to help veterans who are currently unemployed with their expenses while retraining for the current job market.

H.R. 1171 – Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization – This bill would reauthorize programs in support of homeless veterans, to assist them with job training, counseling, and placement services through the Department of Veterans Affairs through 2014.

H.R. 1172 -- Requiring List on VA Website of Organizations Providing Scholarships for Veterans which does nothing more than direct the Department of Veterans Affairs to include information about scholarships for veterans.

H.R. 1293 -- Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009 – Here’sanother bill in support of those who have fought for their country, passed by House Democrats and blocked from becoming law by Republicans.

This would increase the amount paid by the VA to disabled veterans for necessary home structural improvements from $4,100 to $6,800 for those who are more than 50% disabled, and from $1,200 to $2,000 who are less than 50%, disabled. This means, if a veteran lost the use of his legs in service of his country, the country will pay for the wheelchair ramp so that he can live at home.

By the way, the last time this ceiling was lifted was in 1992. There isn't even a fiscal reason for being against this bill, as the total cost of this bill, according to CBO estimates, would be a “whopping” $20 million. That's about a quarter (25 cents) per family of four.

H.R. 1803 -- Veterans Business Center Act – This bill would set up a Veterans Business Center program within the Small Business Administration, which would specialize in such programs as grants for service-disabled veterans, help them develop business plans and secure business opportunities. In other words, folks, it would create jobs and offer opportunities those who have fought in defense of our country.

H.R. 2352 – Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act – This bill essentially combines a number of other bills that Republicans had blocked in the Senate previously, and adds a few elements. The bill would again establish a Veterans Business Center Program; .... it would establish a Military Entrepreneurs Program; ...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/16/1091597/-GOP-Voted-Against-7-Bills-to-Help-Veterans-
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:53 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:

Now tell me how fair our tax code is when someone like me who does my part here in the US, but someone who doesn't and makes poor choices in life gets a vacation each year.

Well... that would be hard to say for sure without seeing her taxes but many people don't adjust their withholding to what it should be so they are essentially using the Fed government as a bank, overpaying their taxes by thousands and then getting a refund in April.
Baldimo

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:33 am
@parados,
It has nothing to do with adjusting withholding's and you know it. Low income people do not pay federal taxes and they always get more back then they pay in. It is the scam of the system when people who pay nothing each year get thousands back, they are not paying federal taxes, they are a net suck on the system.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:56 am
@Baldimo,
Your kind of myopia hurts our country. Those folks who are not paid enough to make a decent living struggle to make ends meet, because the GOP will not approve a federal minimum wage. Then they complain that they're sucking the well dry. What sucks the well dry are all the wars the GOP starts that are not only illegal and not paid for but kills tens of thousands of people.

People like you suck the well dry; no brains.

After WWII, the government provided our GI's with the wherewithal to attend college. Yes, that cost billions of dollars. If you believe they sucked the well dry, they transformed our country into the economic super power of this world.

Our country represents only five percent of the world's population. If we don't take care of our own, who will?

Many families like ours had no father, and we were very poor. Our mother collect welfare to shelter, feed, and clothe us. To make a long story short, all my siblings worked in the professions; doctor, lawyer, and RN. They all paid back in taxes what we got in welfare benefits, and we never thought we were cheated by our poorer brothers and sisters who needed assistance from our government. My brother, a doctor, went to other countries to help with their medical care for free. My two nephews, both doctors, went to other countries to help people who could not afford to pay for medical care. My sister opened a senior center in Oahu to help the elderly with volunteers. When we were in Hawaii last January, those volunteers invited my sister and us to their home for dinner. My nephew who lives in Hawaii is a physician at Queens Hospital. He volunteers and goes to poor countries to train doctors. He was in Bhutan for three months in January.

All my brothers and I all served in the military of our country.

What have you done for humanity and this country besides gripe?

People like you are an poor excuse as a human.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
People like you are an poor excuse as a human.

Because he doesn't agree with you? What the **** kind of argument is that? You and others are the small and narrow minded. And in your case, just plain stupid.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 12:21 pm
@coldjoint,
No. You have it wrong every single time. You have no brains to think.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
No. You have it wrong every single time.

I am not calling people poor excuses for human beings. There is something wrong about that. I think Baldimo should punch your lights out.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 12:53 pm
http://cdn.ricochet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/exjon.jpg

We need a real president. Badly.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 12:57 pm
http://cdn.ricochet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Obama-Memorial.png

What a joke our president truly is. The world is laughing.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 01:25 pm
Hashtags?
Quote:
6. That the girls that have been kidnapped are being raped up to 15 times a day by their captors and that those amongst them that have refused to convert to Islam are having their throats cut (read the testimony of one of the girls that ‘’escaped’’ on page 8 of the Vanguard Newspaper, 5th April, 2014).

Read the other ten facts about what goes on in Nigeria. And then tell me when the UN is going to start with hashtags too. The largest voting block in the UN is Islamic, and it shows.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/05/90-of-abducted-nigerian-schoolgirls-are-christians-jihadists-released-muslim-girls
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 02:04 pm
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1013/5321/original.jpg
http://www.acidpulse.us/images/smilies/lolol.gif
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 02:31 pm
@coldjoint,
Did you know you're a simple minded idiot?
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 07:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Did you know you're a simple minded idiot?

Did you know even if that were true it would not change one thing about this corrupt, inept, and lying administration.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:00 pm
@coldjoint,
All administrations have lied. You're too stupid to understand simple political life.
Quote:
About Iraq Before Invasion: Study
President (GW Bush) cited as most frequent liar, with 259 false statements about weapons of mass destruction and more.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
All administrations have lied.

And when they have there have been uproars(Watergate, Iran Contra) not media support and useful idiots like you dismissing the lies.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:20 pm
@coldjoint,
Show me where I have ever dismissed their lies. You're a liar and too stupid to even communicate with. You're on Ignore; I may peek in once in awhile to enjoy your ignorance of all things. They say laughter is the best medicine.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Show me where I have ever dismissed their lies.

Every time you post you jump on the bandwagon and take a hard suck at Obamas pump. That is dismissal and ass kissing. You don't want the truth. You want one way no matter how it is come by, including thuggery, censorship and media bias to the point of no bad news about Obama at all.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're on Ignore;

Good let's keep it that way. I have no need to talk to a dumbass .
parados

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:01 am
@Baldimo,
Since you have seen this person's taxes, can you send them to me so I can see if you are correct?

You have no idea what the person is making or paying in taxes. You only see them go on a vacation every year.

Quote:
Low income people do not pay federal taxes and they always get more back then they pay in.

You don't seem to understand what federal taxes are. Federal income taxes make up less than 50% of federal revenues. FICA makes up 40% of federal taxes. You don't get EIC if you don't have income. If you get income you pay FICA on it.

Let's look at a couple on the EIC instruction booklet. They have an income of $25,000 with 2 children. Standard deductions means they have a taxable income of $5000 so they pay $500 in income taxes. They also paid 7.65% for FICA so that means they had $1912.50 taken from checks. Their employer would have also paid $1912.5. That means the government collected $4325 in taxes from the couple without including any excise taxes.According to the EIC table, they get back $4918.

So let's look at it. Paid in $4325. Got back $4918. Hardly thousands above what they paid in.