littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 06:35 pm
<I can't play the CRAFAX one, I know what it is>
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 06:38 pm
little k, the aim of the game is to know. PM me the definition and if it's right, you get three points. If it's not right, it's ten years in the dungeon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:00 pm
Should we do something about the definition that is correct for a proper noun, brand name, but presumably not for the balderdashy word?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:52 pm
anybody know the answer to Sozobe's question? Do you mean Sozobe you want to know if a brand name for a word can be used as a definition? I don't think so. What do others think?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:26 pm
Sozobe: My response is "huh?" I think that we have to go with words, however obscure, that could be found in some sort of dictionary. That would preclude proper names or brand names for products.

Lola:
The answer is obviously #8...unless it's #13. I'll go with #8.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:32 pm
Lola, I know what Soz is saying - I'll PM you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:44 pm
Sorry that wasn't clear -- I'll PM Lola too (though I bet macsm already covered it.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:51 pm
ok, I voted.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:26 pm
OK, I think we have a problem with this round. There is a brand name definition which is sort of correct. But there is another definition that Bib provided. This is all too confusing, so I suggest we scrap this round (I'll tell the Bib definition if we decide to do this) and go on to realjohnboy's round. Do I hear any reason for not doing this? If not, let's proceed with the next round.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:27 pm
ok with me
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:28 pm
me too
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 11:20 pm
fine with me
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 02:16 am
I will go for 3 for carfax.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 03:49 am
ok wid me. So we are going to do

THRIP Question

I'm dying to know carfax - first I was going with 12, then 11, but I think it might be 6. But I assume the problem is with it being a product name, so maybe it is 12 or 3. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 11:53 am
I think the non-product name definition for carfax is #6.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 01:59 pm
Just for the record:

The CARFAX definition which I forwarded to Lola is the dictionary definition for this rare word, and it is NOT a product/trade description/brand name item.
The purpose of Balderdash word games is to provide words which can be located in dictionaries - especially dictionary definitions which have long since been removed, and discarded, from common usage. CARFAX, as I have defined it, is such an obscure and disused word.
Please note, even words which were in vogue as little as thirty years ago, are now no longer shown in certain dictionaries, and as such, obscure and disused words may not necessarily be "old, or ancient" - in fact, they may even refer to recent technologies that have rapidly progressed, and made such terminology redundant.

Anyhow, enjoy the rest of the game.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 02:08 pm
OK, I'm not sure what to do. We could just go ahead and throw out #3, but that has a problem of the person who guessed it...how many, if any points would he/she get. So.........in the name of efficiency and sanity, let's move on to the next round. Realjohnboy, you're up.

The real definition of CARFAX, is #5. Thanks Bib for that excellent word. I'm sorry it didin't work out.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 02:12 pm
My Oh My.....

I missed the whole thing!!

I'll send a bluff definition to realjohnboy, later today.....

I hope there isn't a product called "Thrip". If there were, would you find it at a "thrip mall"???

Very Happy
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 02:37 pm
I wonder why Bram Stoker made "Carfax" Abbey Dracula's English abode? I wouldn't think Dracula would like living at a 'CROSSroads'.
Maybe "thrip" is the sound Drac makes while sucking blood out of peoples' necks.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 03:47 pm
Band-Aid® Brand Sheer Adhesive Thrips
0 Replies