Ethel2

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 11:10 pm
How about a new game of Balderdash? I'll post the rules below and we'll see who wants to go first.

The game is interactive, please feel free to enter or leave the game at any time. Here's how it goes: The dasher (we take turns being the dasher) pulls a card from the dictionary or from their Balderdash game and the dasher writes the word for everyone to see. Then everybody sends a definition (to the dasher by PM) for the chosen word. If you know the true definition, you can either send it or you may still choose to send a bluff definition. Most of us have to bluff anyway. You can be funny or what ever you please.

We are keeping score, but you don't have to worry about the score if you don't want to. If you're playing, I'll include you in the scoring, but you can ignore it if you prefer.

This is the way it's scored:

1. If you guess the correct definition, you get 2 points.
2. If someone guesses your definition, you get 1 point for each successful bluff.
3. If no one guesses the correct definition, the dasher gets 2 points.
4. Any player who submits an answer which is similar or very close to the correct answer earns 3 points.
5. A player who reaches exactly 13 points, automatically receives a double score for the NEXT round.
6. In our version of the game, the dasher may also submit a bluff definition.

IMPORTANT: If the dasher receives an answer from a player which is similar or very close to the correct meaning, he or she should not list this player's answer. Rather, the dasher should put the answer aside, automatically award 3 points to this player, listing the player's answer only after the round is over. That round will be played as usual (with one less answer), but the player who wrote the similar answer does not take part in the voting. Note: If the dasher receives more than one answer closely resembling the correct answer, the round is canceled and the dasher chooses a new word. However, each and every player who submits an answer closely resembling the correct answer still receives 3 points.

The definitions have to be submitted privately to the dasher, via PM, but the guessing will be done on the thread. When you guess, feel free to tell your reasoning, it makes the game more fun. Humor is welcome and encouraged.

I can start, but first, are there any volunteer dashers?

NOTE: The dasher is responsible for updating the score tally.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 154,496 • Replies: 3,784
No top replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 12:48 am
Sounds fun Lola. I love Balderdash! Right now I'm too tired to think of anything, but I'll check back later.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 12:23 pm
Thanks for posting this. Yay Balderdash! :-D
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 02:35 pm
I'm in! Should we start the scoring over from our last Abuzz game?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:00 pm
Yay, Balderdash!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:11 pm
I suggest we start new, unless someone wants to do it the other way. Do you want to start with the old score, macsm?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:16 pm
Thanks, Lola, for starting a Balderdash Game. I don't really care if anyone keeps score. It's just fun to play the game!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 08:14 pm
Lola et al...I was an observer on the next to last game on Abuzz and a participant (scoring 2 pts as I recall) in the "final" game there. I felt a little guilty; I seem to be the kiss of death to a lot of threads. Body-odor, perhaps?
I suggest we start with a blank scorecard. Most of the old players never seemed to care about the points. The fun was in the playing.
Perhaps in this new venue there might be some more competitive minded folk so we should all start at zero.
I'm not yet qualified to be Dasher so, ha-ha, Lola, I nominate you.
If we can keep this going I pledge to take my turn after a couple of rounds.
Welcome back to the old players and for those new people I would say that you might find this amusing. -rjb-
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 09:04 pm
I absolutely think that we should start the scoring anew!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 10:10 pm
I'm in! And anew is nice with a new forum, new group of participants, etc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 10:40 pm
I'll try to play a round. I love this game.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 12:19 am
OK, I'll start as dasher. This should go much faster because we have PMs here.

The new word:

KAKKERLAK

Now taking definitions.........
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:26 am
I don't get something -- "2. If someone guesses your definition, you get 1 point for each successful bluff." How does anyone but the Dasher guess your definition if your definition is sent to the Dasher by PM? Is it that a certain number of definitions are gathered, then posted on the thread, and everyone guesses among them?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:05 am
That's correct, Sozobe.....sorry that's not clear. Welcome to the game. I'm now accepting bluffs or real, which ever you have. I received three so far.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:13 am
Hi Lola --

Thanks for being the Dasher!!

Great Word!!

I'll be PM'ing my bluff definition to you today!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:17 pm
I see! Thanks, Lola. Will send the absolutely 100% correct definition to you via PM. (See that, all future voters? Wink)
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:46 pm
Hi Lola -- Did you receive the Private Message that I sent (with my definition)? The PM is sitting in my "Outbox". Not in my "Sentbox". I don't know..... does that mean that the message was not sent? I'll check again tomorrow.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:51 am
I'm pretty sure that's not an English word (but then again I must remember that I haven't seen them all) but I'll send my definition in as well.

PAL, that means it hasn't been read yet. When they are read they move over to the sent box.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 04:26 am
I am in - for a few games at least...
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:49 pm
ckecking my PM inbox now..........
0 Replies