Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:56 pm
Wow! You guys have been very busy and prompt. I'll post the bluff definitions soon........anyone wanting in on this first round send in your bluff or correct definition right away.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 09:23 pm
Hi Lola, I sent my bluff in. Hope I'm not too late. I love balderdash!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:18 pm
OK, last call.........posting definitions in a few minutes
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:39 pm
1. a type of canoe used primarily by Western Indian tribes in the early 1800s

2. an albino cockroach

3. Ojibwa word meaning flat boat, such as a barge

4. a wooden rattle

5. hot spring or geyser surrounded by permanent ice or snow

6. a haughty old hag

7. Reindeer milk

8. square-bottomed boat commonly used by native Alaskan fishermen

9. A slang of German origin meaning dung beetle

10. Nonsensical or foolish babble

11. an Eskimaun word meaning boat or canoe

12. A conversation consisting of inane, loud, meaningless sentences

OK that's it, good luck all.

P.S. Employing the dasher's perogative, I have also offered my own bluff definition in addition to the real definition.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 06:40 pm
hmmm...surprising that #1, #3 #8 and #11 are so similar, but then again #10 and #12 seem pretty close to each other also.
I'm not ready to vote yet, but I'm eliminating the others.
When I was in the Army one of my friends was from Alaska and had some wierd words in his vocabulary, so I'm inclined towards #8. But I'm going to mull over the differences and will get back to vote later.

PS Thanks, Lola, for directing me to Toys-R-Us to find the cards needed to do my duty as Dasher in later rounds. Alas, they were sold out. I checked again with some local toy/game stores, only to get the same answer. I WILL get a deck of those things at some point! Have a nice evening. -rjb-
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 11:01 pm
Okay, I'll take the plunge. I'm going for #2 - an albino cockroach. Why, you might ask? First of all, picturing one of those things makes me alternately laugh and cringe. Also, it's usually the one you think is the least likely to be correct. It was a tossup between that and reindeer milk, but I think someone had Christmas on their mind when they thought that one up. Very Happy

small disclaimer and then again I might very well be wrong, so don't let me influence you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:51 am
I'm gonna go with #4.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:55 am
You can't have your kakkerlak and eat it, too.

For some reason a lot of us seem to think this word is from the far north- maybe Eskimo or Scandinavian.

But I think I will go a different direction: I guess #6, haughty old hag. I can just hear her cackling, hence kakkerlak.
0 Replies

mac11

I'm going with #2, although it gives me the willies just to think about seeing such a thing. (Especially the big cucarachas we get here!)
0 Replies

Equus

Felix Noir would have said it was the sound of coughing up a fur ball.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:56 am
i will go for 4!

And that word ain't English! LOL
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 02:15 pm
I'm going with #2, it would make etymological sense and jive with an Afrikaans word a South African friend once taught me.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 05:56 pm
Yes, it's not quite the same without Felix Noir, Taffy la Blanc and Cheshire. Maybe we can invite them to A2K.

I"m going to guess #5.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:22 am
Yes, it's too bad we get only one identity per person here. I know it's all for the best.......I know.........I know, please don't explain......I know, but I do so miss Felix Noir, Cheshire and Taffy le Blanc, not to mention Wassau, Blossom and Prissy. The guessing is very interesting, so far.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:37 am
Multiple identinties are not a problem, multiple identities used for mischief is.

Since there is no name cloning or ratings on this site there is little incentive to have multiple accounts.

So if it's for fun go for it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:31 am
Felix Noir, etc. should definitely join. No problem here.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:50 am
Hi Lola......

I'll choose #12.

Very Happy
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 06:47 pm
I'm dumping the boat people and going with #5
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:29 am
I'm wondering if it is related to kakocracy? Since I have no idea, I'll go for #10.

Equus, Felix Noir asked me to tell you that he was very impressed with your guess of what his guess would be. He wants you to know that it really is the sound of a cat coughing up a fur ball, but that sound is made only by vulgar, unmannerly cats.

Refined, discriminating cats make a uuugh, eghk hak, hak, egacheg, ecch, urp, kind of sound.

Jes, Felix has given serious consideration to joining. If he is sure of a warn welcome, including a few warm laps, and as long as the people here don't mind his happy drool when he is petted, he would be delighted to be part of this exemplary group.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 02:07 pm
I'm probably too late to join, but my guess for KAKKERLAK would be on #2 - My grandfather's cat used to catch them repeatedly when he was stationed in the Lowlands of Holland during WWII.
0 Replies