Ethel2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:31 pm
you're not making up that definition are you Spendi? Oh well, if you do, that will be fine. We'll all guess and whoever gets the most hits wins, I suppose.......and as you point out, it should be fun.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:07 am
Lola:-

You can have two goes.One for you and one for your gallant chevalier.

I accept defeat in my modest proposal.But this is what I had in mind.

1-Word.

2-Ten entries(say) which were required to be false and mere exercises in making Balderdashers laugh.Or smile.Even wanly.

3-Dasher judges best laugh and declares result.

4-Dasher gives correct answer attempting to match the wit of the entries.

5-Winner is next Dasher.

It is a threaders variation on the popular TV programme Call My Bluff on which appeared some of the finest wits in the land.

*George.As that might not have been clear at first I will permit a revised entry.The Dasher does the correct version.

It is a lovely word though.I like lovely words.One can learn things from them.

So come on-give it a try.Stubbornness is a big weight to carry through life.Loosen up ye wallflowers.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:38 am
Again I scratch my head while de-spendifying a post.
Considering the state of my pate, a bad idea.

Let me see whether I've got it.

* We are following the original rules EXCEPT that we are not supposed to
submit the correct answer.
* We must submit witty bluffs only.
* After all bluffs are submitted, they are posted together with the correct answer.

That right?

Any changes to scoring?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:02 am
George;-

More or less but it won't matter if we,well I I suppose,make a totaltittyupdishevelementimbroglio of it.WE can iron perfections later.

Scoring is 100% subjective which does,I'm afraid,give ladies a slight advantage on the handicap.Fillies get a 3lb sex allowance.When I'm dashing I mean.

My preference is for posting entries on the thread rather than using PMs but it's too late for that now on Kinnikinic.All words in games should be unheard of.

The basic idea is an elite club which allows us to get these ladies cornered and to give them more experience with the use of dictionaries.

Best of British.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:12 am
<lying>I see.</lying>

OK, I'll submit a new entry.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:36 am
Mystifying... I think it's the same as the original but without scoring, and with the onus on wit rather than likely meanings.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
Clary dear,if the onus is on wit rather than meanings then there is a vast difference.Wit requires intelligence,effort and patience whereas meanings require one to simply Google and copy.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:53 am
no, because in true call my bluffery - you have to make it credible, don't you? And the real meaning must be sufficiently odd not to stand out from the rest... I don't really understand why this is all so complicated compared to the original game!?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:58 am
well, it certainly solves my problem with always being wrong and never getting any points.

It retains what I like best about the in person real game and it sounds like fun. Since the game seems to have died in popularity anyway.......why not?

But to be fair, Spendi, may I suggest (being the originator of the thread and all) that the best or funniest definition be judged by popular vote of the participants? Otherwise we'll have a bit of cronyism going on around here. And we can't have that.......it would soon kill the game, or at least it would limit the possibilities.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:03 am
Clary:-

There are probably quite a number of things you don't understand,Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle for example,but that is no reason to have negative attitudes.As far as I could see the previous format needed a bit of life putting back in it and I never claimed I could do that but only that I would try.It isn't as if it matters anyway.Grumbling has caused the complications.

Just play.Oops you already have done.What on earth are you doing playing a game you don't like and can't understand and think is pointless.Cricket looked pointless once.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:10 am
come on Clary, let's give it a try

It could be fun and a lot less work for the dasher
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:29 pm
I was the first to send a bluff; but reserve judgement...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:44 pm
It isn't a particularly good policy reserving judgement.One should dive in with enthusiasm.Any game will go with enthusiasm.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:56 pm
STOP PRESS.

George has just taken the lead.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
I stopped.
I pressed.
I hurt myself.

There are leads?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:13 pm
Oh yes G.Lola was leading last night but she's gone for a massage and lost her position.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:58 pm
no fair.......the massage was great, btw

anyway, we'll see who wins the popular vote..........I'm going to be a loser again, I can feel it, I know.........if only I were less competitive....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
So what are you kids going to name this new game you're working on inventing?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 05:06 pm
Lola:-I should hope it was.We have been discussing it most of the night in the pub.We have covered it pretty thouroughly.I don't think there's an aspect of it we have put our minds to work on.
Had it not been "great" it would have made us all look silly.

George has produced a nice touch of wit.I liked your take on Kinnikinic but now there's a new standard to aim at which I think maybe you could do if you developed your original idea.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 05:11 pm
Beth:-

Quite astute of you to notice that we are only "working" on it.Spot on that.Perhaps if you read the rules and joined in you might get in the door before it slams shut on about 10 members.Too many members is always a difficult proposition I feel.
0 Replies