Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:07 pm
Can Cheshire be the dasher? Or Felix Noir? Or Stardust the Cat? I'll bet they're winning.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:50 am
Humbly,and shuffling my feet with embarrassment at the responsibility, I would offer the word-

Kinnikinic

if I were to be so honoured as to be chosen by my fellow inmates to be the new "dasher".

I am quite dashing I have been told on more than one occasion although I did suspect that they were devious tricks to wheedle money out of me.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:53 am
you've got money? that's interesting.

you have to be able to receive a PM in order to play, Spendius. the players have to send their bluff definitions to you by private message.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:58 am
What's the point of that my leeteel cheekin'?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:57 am
because if the bluffs were sent to you on the thread, everyone would know the bluffs and could, by the process of elimination, know the real definition.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
Lola;-

I told you I was thick.

But suppose the word was "Kinnikinic" and you posted a definition how would anybody know whether it was right or wrong, and that is assuming
they even care bearing in mind that it is a wit contest.And the same if others posted.I am not that interested in the points I can tot up.It is laughs.
Somebody who knows the word might choose to post a false definition just because s/he finds it a funny pattern of words.

You Manhattan sophisticates are so competitive.

Why don't we try it?I don't think the earth will wobble on its axis even if your worst case scenario came to pass and everything went titties-up.We can always return to an orderly and well-planned system later and simply write the experiment off as an utter and dismal failure and all my fault.

I'm not trying to be obtuse.It is only a suggestion from the stalls which might improve the game and avoid these PMs which you already know I dislike.

If it is not competitive enough for American tastes then so be it.I try to get threaders a bit of a giggle and I like those best who try to get me one.I do not wish to defeat them at all.

Love and kisses.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:21 am
Just try reading some of the previous pages, sp. It isn't as complicated as you'd think. I shall pm you with my def. shortly.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:22 am
hugs and cuddles, you dense person. You want to suggest a word and let everyone make up a definition without the competitive part of guessing which one is right. And actually, that might make it more fun and wouldn't discourage competitive types like me from playing. It would also make it easier for the dasher. But it wouldn't be Balderdash either, would it? It would convert the game into a funny make up definitions game and the bluff would be no more a part of the game. I'm not sure if it would work.

What do the rest of you think? It looks like you've stopped keeping score a long time ago. Anybody want to try it the spendius way and see how it works? It's up to you. We can tell spendius he has to do it right or not at all or give it a try. Either way, it's ok with me, as far as that goes. But that's not far, since I haven't been around the Balderdash game for some time now. Many of you have been playing for a long time.

Quote:
You Manhattan sophisticates are so competitive.

And you're not competitive? Excuse me while I laugh myself silly. Laughing

And I don't know you don't like PMs. I just thought you weren't set up to exchange them or something. Why don't you like them anyway?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
I've sent him a definition to start the ball rolling...
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:42 am
oh dear Clary, you may have violated our dear friend. Spendi, how are you feeling, now you've been PMed? Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:06 am
Lola:-

Well my ball isn't rolling if that's what you mean?

I did get a charming PM from Clary offering her definition which has a certain finesse but nothing more.I got some hugs as well which are very nice.
And some more with cuddles added.I think I'll go look for a bowling alley-I might need some room.

I don't see how one can compete at guessing unless one wishes to give a new meaning to the word "compete".Some of us might even laugh at the one who gets it right for being boring and pedantic.But that is not the sort of laughter that heals.

Let's try it.It won't hurt.

So Clary-post your definition of "kinnikinic" or another one if you choose.Entries are free and the competition closes at a venue near you when the dasher,myself,decides your wits are exhausted and my judgement is final as will be that of future dashers when their turn comes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:09 am
Ten attempts constitutes a Balderdash.GO!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:37 pm
Spendi,

You must learn to play cooperatively with others or many will not play. We have to ask the others if they want to change the rules before you can change them. So you've suggested and I've asked. Clary has tried to do it the way it's always been done before, indicating a possible preference for maintaining the current rules. We have not yet heard from others.

You have to wait. Now behave!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
Yes Madame!!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
hmm. realjohnboy has drifted away from Balderdash for a spell. But I do check it out periodically. I have been a player and, on a number of occasions, have been the dasher. Interest has withered a bit from the heyday when we might have the number of bluffs hitting 20 but the game has been with us for a long time (300 plus pages) and it strikes me as more than a bit arrogant to try to change the rules to turn Balderdash into something other than what Miz Lola created way back on page 1.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 02:05 pm
Well-why had interest withered?Bums on seats.

When something is withering,which I never said,you did,and Lola did,a change is needed and I never claimed my idea would be better but if something once starts withering it usually keep on going until it returns to nothing and you admit you did nothing to prevent Lola's thread withering so the best thing to do is go hang yourself out on the washing line like a wombat drying in the sun.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 02:40 pm
now Spendi........play nicely or your friends will be few.

It's ok with me. However, if others don't agree, we'll have few participants and that's not as much fun. Clary, what do you think?

Or would others perfer I start a new thread with a new game created by spendius? That might be a good idea. Then we wouldn't be pooping in everyone's party here.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 02:46 pm
I don't want my definitions being judged by spendius. I like the original game, and since there aren't any others flocking to Spendius's banner, let's ditch him/her/it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:26 pm
Spendious: I certainly can't compete with "yourincrediblylongrunonsentencewithnospacesandnopunctuation"
As a Virginia gentleman, I have no desire to get into a p**sing match with you. But as an aside, there is a concept of business management called "institutional memory." The idea is that the old folks know what was tried and worked before and what was tried and didn't work before.

Being the dasher is a bit tough. johnboy knows that. Once, when interest seemed to be withering (my choice of the word) the dasher spent a rainy Sunday collecting the pm addresses of every player from the last hundred pages and sent individualized messages to each of them inviting them back for the alumni/anniversary game. It was a ruse of course but it worked.

If you don't like the way the game is structured, start your own game under a different name.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
Right on, johnboy! I'm with you all the way.
0 Replies