spendius

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:32 am
jespah:-

I tried page 1.How is it working out?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:43 am
We're kind of in the middle of a game. The word is Caponier. I think it's a page or 2 back or so. Just pick an answer and see if you're right. Welcome to the game.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:00 am
I'll go with No2 and No 6.

Can I do two.I presume Googling or reference books constitute underhanded cheating slimeballing attempts to look better than you are at this.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:14 am
spendius wrote:
I'll go with No2 and No 6.

Can I do two.I presume Googling or reference books constitute underhanded cheating slimeballing attempts to look better than you are at this.

Yes, it's definitely slimeballing and not allowed. We're on the honor system, obviously. How could be police it?

You can only chose one. The aim of the game is to guess (or to point out) the one you think (or know) is correct. If you get it, you get some points. If you're the dasher, and no one guesses the correct definition, then you get some points. I'm only good at this game in person. The fun of it for me is the bluffing and the sense of rich humor it inevitably brings out in the participants. But without the body language, it's harder to do the most fun part. Also, we have some devilishly knowledgeable people here who actually know the meanings of the words. I'm used to playing with people who have no idea about most of the obscure or archaic words. I'm too dumb for this group. Enjoy.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:56 am
Lola explained-

Quote:
But without the body language, it's harder to do the most fun part.

I understand that pretty good.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:41 pm
Devriesj, it's good to see you. Lola, long time since we last saw you here. Please stay and play the next game.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:07 pm
I'm writing an article and then I have to go out of town. I'll maybe come by when I get back. You guys have fun.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:33 am
Last call for guesses

Equus wrote:
CAPONIER possible definitions

1. The person whose job it is to dress or prepare chicken after slaughter and make ready for market

2. A button or hook on formal military uniforms with which a cape or sash is attached to the shoulder

3. A person who sells or cooks chickens for mass consumption

4. A covered walkway over or through a defensive ditch or moat

5. The person who removes the testicles of roosters or rabbits to make them into capons

6. A feathered hat popular in the early thirties before WWII

7. A hatstand

8. A French kitty with fluffy, feathery fur. Yowzer!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:05 pm
#2.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:09 pm
ok, I'll chose #1 because I don't want to mess up Equus' game by popping in.
0 Replies

Cheshire

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:11 pm
It's obvious that the correct answer is #8......hi there, miss fluffy white kitty, what's your name? Cool :wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:44 pm
Who won?WE can't settle the bets till we know that.

I'd backed Lola.Is she the miss fluffy white kitty?

I got 4 to 1.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:36 pm
You have to wait a little, Spendius. The dasher, in this case, Equus will post the answers and winners soon. Patience is required.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:12 am
I had a premonition that might be the case.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:48 pm
CAPONIER

1. The person whose job it is to dress or prepare chicken after slaughter and make ready for market (bluff bydevriesj. Picked by Lola)

2. A button or hook on formal military uniforms with which a cape or sash is attached to the shoulder (bluff by Equus. Picked by Jespah & Spendius)

3. A person who sells or cooks chickens for mass consumption (bluff by Jespah. No takers)

4. A covered walkway over or through a defensive ditch or moat (CORRECT DEFINITION. Didn't fool Clary, Just the Fax or devriesj)

5. The person who removes the testicles of roosters or rabbits to make them into capons (bluff by just the fax, picked by diane)

6. A feathered hat popular in the early thirties before WWII (bluff by diane, no takers)

7. A hatstand ((bluff by Clary, no takers)

8. A French kitty with fluffy, feathery fur. Yowzer! (bluff by Felix Noir, picked by Cheshire and Stardust the Cat)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:08 pm
Sod it.I'm not backing Lola again.

When the next race?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:45 pm
Pick a new word & we're off, Spendi-! Care to take a crack at dasher?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:53 pm
In the morning.It would take too long to give 8 definitions all of which would make you laugh.Go ahead without me by all means and if you do I'm not backing Lola again.I can wait.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:22 pm
Oh, Spendi - You ARE a hoot! Stick around and play by all means. I think it'll be a little while before you'll be dasher.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:03 pm
I told you I was bad at this game on the internet, spendius....oddly enough, in person, I almost always win......it's the bluffing I can do. Sorry, but I did warn you.

And btw, you don't make up the definitions, you just choose the word. The other participants each contribute one bluff if they don't know the answer. Then all you have to do, as dasher is keep score. The aim of choosing the word is to come up with a word that has a definition that no one will guess. You can do that easy, I'm sure.
0 Replies