Real Benghazi Scandal

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:57 pm
@JTT,
One way might be to not cut the appropriation to security the President and State ask for. Keeping someone from fulfilling his obligation as chief executive and then blaming him for the bloody results us disingenuous and amounts to manslaughter when it kills Americans.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:34 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Your focus is badly skewed, Bobsal. The USA wouldn't need those huge sums if the USA wasn't the top terrorist nation/group on the planet. If the USA didn't commit war crimes and terrorist acts against these people they wouldn't need mighty fortresses as embassies.

If this USA ambassador had been doing his job as a diplomat instead of acting as a terrorist this event may never have happened.

What is really disingenuous is this back and forth between USA political groups whining about how the USA's war crimes and terrorism are affecting Americans.

It is unbelievably callous and uncaring. Is that what the USA is all about?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 06:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Well, here's something for you to dispute. The American diplomatic mission reported that they were in danger and needed protection but they didn't get any.

Wow.. talk about living a rich fantasy life. Would you care to point to the documents that show the mission in Benghazi was in danger and asked for help?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/us/politics/inquiry-into-libya-attack-is-sharply-critical-of-state-department.html?_r=0

Quote:
The investigation into the attack on the diplomatic mission and the C.I.A. annex in Benghazi that resulted in the deaths of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans also faulted State Department officials in Washington for ignoring requests from the American Embassy in Tripoli for more guards for the mission and for failing to make sufficient safety upgrades.
parados

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 06:53 pm
@Brandon9000,
It appears you aren't aware that Tripoli is over 600 miles from Benghazi.

But lets' actually look at the report.
Quote:
The Ambassador did not see a direct threat
of an attack of this nature and scale on the U.S. Mission in the overall negative
trendline of security incidents from spring
to summer 2012. His status as the
leading U.S. government advocate on Libya policy, and his expertise on
Benghazi in particular, caused Washington to give unusual deference to his
judgments.

Quote:
The Board found that intelligence
provided no immediate, specific tactical
warning of the September 11 attacks.

Quote:
the Department were well aware of the anniversary of the September
11, 2001 terrorist attacks but at no time were there ever any specific, credible
threats against the mission in Benghazi related to the September 11 anniversary

Quote:
Special Mission Benghazi’s uncertain future after 2012 and its “non-status” as a temporary,
residential facility made allocation of resources for security and
personnel more difficult, and left responsibility to meet security standards to the
working-level in the field, with very limited resources

There is really nothing in the report that says they "were in danger and needed protection."
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 07:10 pm
@parados,
of an attack of this nature and scale on the U.S. Mission in the overall negative
judgments.

----------------

His "expertise" was very likely of the nature of a lot of USA expertise.
If he had maintained a diplomatic position instead of a USA terrorist, it never would have happened.

When you're the top dog terrorist, is it any surprise when you get some in return?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:11 pm
@parados,
What "Board" made this rep;ort?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:12 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

It appears you aren't aware that Tripoli is over 600 miles from Benghazi.

But lets' actually look at the report.
Quote:
judgments.

Quote:
The Board found that intelligence
provided no immediate, specific tactical
warning of the September 11 attacks.

Quote:
the Department were well aware of the anniversary of the September
11, 2001 terrorist attacks but at no time were there ever any specific, credible
threats against the mission in Benghazi related to the September 11 anniversary

Quote:
Special Mission Benghazi’s uncertain future after 2012 and its “non-status” as a temporary,
residential facility made allocation of resources for security and
personnel more difficult, and left responsibility to meet security standards to the
working-level in the field, with very limited resources

There is really nothing in the report that says they "were in danger and needed protection."

Nor did I say that. I said that they asked for it.

Do you think they were in danger now?
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon: I said that they asked for it.
--------

That's what I said too, Brandon. We're in agreement. When you commit terrorist acts you are asking for it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

parados wrote:

You didn't say that? Then I guess I am unclear as to what these words actually are.

http://able2know.org/topic/235957-1#post-5589610
Brandon9000 wrote:

Well, here's something for you to dispute. The American diplomatic mission reported that they were in danger and needed protection but they didn't get any. Their fear turned out to be correct and people died.

It sure looks to me like you were claiming "they were in danger and needed protection." When I asked for a source you provided a news story about the report I quoted from that you now seem to think doesn't support your statement or you are saying you didn't make that statement or you are just blowing stuff out your ass because your original statement was blowing stuff out your ass.

I guess I am unclear by how your "they reported that they were in danger and needed protection" is a true statement based on the evidence you presented to support it.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:48 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

parados wrote:

You didn't say that? Then I guess I am unclear as to what these words actually are....

I didn't say that the report stated that they were in danger. I said that they expressed their opinion that they were in danger and they asked for help. However, the report does fault the State Department for ignoring the request for help. It is pretty clear in retrospect that they actually were in danger.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:38 pm
It is pretty clear that Republicans want these deaths to seem more important than the deaths in other, similar attacks, under earlier presidents, but innocent lives lost are equal. This is a politically motivated issue.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 01:17 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Whatever happened after the marine barracks were blown up in Lebanon? DOD civilians were also killed or badly injured. I don't remember Reagan's administration catching beat from investigative bodies in the House.

Yet another absurd argument based on the illogic that is if someone did something wrong in the past it provides a free pass to all who do likewise thereafter.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 01:25 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

That the GOP stripped at least half the funding the President and State requested for security of overseas diplomatic posts...

Good Lord will this absurd argument never die? The GOP didn't "strip" funding of the Libyan embassy. It was a general reduction in funding and so if Hillary chose to express those reducations acraoos the board or to some inequal state Libya, shame on her.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

... that the President and Satate were falsely accused of stopping a rescuemission ignoring how many (more than twenty) who were evacuate from the mission,

Huhhh?

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

that the four dead were an unusual occurrence when Bush lost many, many more in multiple occurrences of this sort of attack in his administration. Let alone the embassy bombings in Nirobi, El Khobar Tower (Clinton), Beruit (Reagan), etc. Please. MOUNTAINS of bullshit.

Trying to get past your feverish ranting...How many ambassadors did Bush "lose?"

All the rest of your crap: And?[/quote]
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 04:04 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It is pretty clear that Republicans want these deaths to seem more important than the deaths in other, similar attacks, under earlier presidents, but innocent lives lost are equal. This is a politically motivated issue.

It's not the number of deaths that's the problem. It's the fact that concern was expressed about security and help requested but not given. The motives of the person saying this are irrelevant since it is the truth.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:59 am
@Brandon9000,
Plain old horse ****.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:14 am
@Brandon9000,
The report is what you gave as evidence to support your statement. OK.. since you now agree the report doesn't support your statement, do you have any other evidence?
parados

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:21 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
It's the fact that concern was expressed about security and help requested but not given.

You mean this request that was turned down?
Quote:
Democrats enacted $1.803 billion for embassy security, construction and maintenance for fiscal 2010, when they still controlled the Senate and House. After Republicans took control of the House and picked up six Senate seats, Congress reduced the enacted budget to $1.616 billion in fiscal 2011, and to $1.537 billion for 2012.

The administration requested $1.801 billion for security, construction and maintenance for fiscal 2012; House Republicans countered with a proposal to cut spending to $1.425 billion. The House agreed to increase it to $1.537 billion after negotiations with the Senate.

The administration requested $1.654 billion for the State Department’s Worldwide Security Protection program for fiscal 2012. House Republicans proposed funding the program at $1.557 billion. Congress eventually enacted $1.591 billion after the Senate weighed in.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/250237-gop-embassy-security-cuts-draw-democrats-scrutiny#ixzz2uL78l7w9
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:12 am
@edgarblythe,
What innocent lives might those be, Edgar?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:17 am
@parados,
Democrats enacted $1.803 billion for embassy security, construction and maintenance for fiscal 2010, when
////////////////

Were those your tax dollars, parados, or money stolen from some starving kids living under some USA brutal dictator?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:12 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

The report is what you gave as evidence to support your statement. OK.. since you now agree the report doesn't support your statement, do you have any other evidence?

I said:

Brandon9000 wrote:
The American diplomatic mission reported that they were in danger and needed protection but they didn't get any. Their fear turned out to be correct and people died.

You said:

parados wrote:
Wow.. talk about living a rich fantasy life. Would you care to point to the documents that show the mission in Benghazi was in danger and asked for help?

In which I took the important part to be "asked for help." I then answered:

Brandon9000 wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/us/politics/inquiry-into-libya-attack-is-sharply-critical-of-state-department.html?_r=0

Quote:
The investigation into the attack on the diplomatic mission and the C.I.A. annex in Benghazi that resulted in the deaths of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans also faulted State Department officials in Washington for ignoring requests from the American Embassy in Tripoli for more guards for the mission and for failing to make sufficient safety upgrades.

which shows that help was asked for and ignored, thus refuting your implication that this was my "fantasy."