COUP IN KYIV?

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:59 pm
@panzade,
Lets all try to get Ukraine into the EU and a member of NATO, THEIS WEEKEND!!

I think that forces our hands should the Poot try to play STalin
spendius

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
Been playing with your toy fort again have you old boy?
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:55 pm
@Lash,
Perhaps this is what you are looking for, Lash.
--------

Media, GOP forget Bush's feeble response to Russia-Georgia conflict
by Jon Perr Mar 03, 2014 12:26pm PST

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/03/1281857/-Media-GOP-forget-Bush-s-feeble-response-to-Russia-Georgia-conflict

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:56 pm
@spendius,
Between playing with his ewes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Lets all try to get Ukraine into the EU and a member of NATO, THEIS WEEKEND!!
I think that forces our hands should the Poot try to play STalin

Unfortunately there are still a large number of Russians in Ukraine. They will never agree to joining NATO, and they vote in Ukrainian elections.

There probably won't be a majority of Ukrainians in favor of NATO membership unless Russia carves away east and south Ukraine first.

However, we might be able to use the threat of Ukrainian membership in NATO as a lever to prevent Russia from seizing east and south Ukraine.

It is long past time that we welcomed Georgia into NATO though, and maybe the Georgians would be willing to allow the US Navy to have a permanent base on the Black Sea.

I'm not sure we really want to tie up a significant portion of our Navy in the Black Sea, but even a small base with just one or two warships would send a message to Putin.

Also maybe time for us to build up a troop presence in Poland and Romania, if they are willing to allow us bases.

And maybe we could ask Poland and Romania if they'd each like to be a repository for 10-20 of our new tactical nukes.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:53 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Unfortunately there are still a large number of Russians in Ukraine. They will never agree to joining NATO

According to Gates during the last push to get Ukraine into NATO France made it clear NEVER!...The French and many others are not willing to die for Ukrainians. The West is willing to give them a bit of money and some nice words, but if the Russians are willing to die to get Ukraine then they win.

This is POWER 101, Obama and the rest of the morons on Capital Hill best learn up.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 02:45 am
He is a sly old fox, that Putin.....

Here's Crimea's new Attorney General.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/20/article-2585515-1C7320DF00000578-773_634x423.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2585515/The-new-face-Crimea-Blonde-Russian-seductress-33-regions-new-attorney-general-pictures-emerge-non-military-issue-red-high-heels.html
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 03:18 am
In a tit for tat response to this, Mr Cameron has talked the Queen into sassing herself up a bit.....

http://images.spoof-media.com/thespoof/royal/hrh.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 03:23 am
@Lordyaswas,
Natalia Poklonskaya previously served as a prosecutor for the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's office and before that as a senior prosecutor for the city of Simferopol after having started as a junior prosecutor Kiev.

This is a (more recent) photo of her ...
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps33cdf420.jpg

... and this the latest
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsa45f5567.jpg

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 03:29 am
@farmerman,
The EU rumbles along slowly. This is Serbia's route. Note Serbia is not a member of the EU, and a date for membership has still not been set.

Quote:
The accession of Serbia to the European Union is the process of the Republic of Serbia being admitted into the framework of the European Union as a full-fledged member state. Serbia officially applied for European Union membership on 22 December 2009, and the European Commission recommended making it an official candidate on 12 October 2011. After the vote of the 27 EU foreign ministers on 28 February 2012, where with 26 votes for and 1 vote against, a candidate status recommendation was issued, and Serbia received full candidate status on 1 March. On 28 June 2013 the European Council endorsed the Council of Ministers conclusions and recommendations to open accession negotiations with Serbia. In December 2013 the Council of the European Union approved opening negotiations on Serbia's accession in January 2014, and the first Intergovernmental Conference was held on 21 January at the European Council in Brussels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Serbia_to_the_European_Union
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 03:47 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
According to Gates during the last push to get Ukraine into NATO France made it clear NEVER!...The French and many others are not willing to die for Ukrainians.

If Russia annexed southern and eastern Ukraine, extending NATO membership to the rest would not be quite the same situation.

But if any NATO state truly thinks that other people should not be protected from Russia, perhaps it is they who do not belong in NATO.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But if any NATO state truly thinks that other people should not be protected from Russia, perhaps it is they who do not belong in NATO.
I think, you better re-read some official documents about NATO-membership and -purpose.
oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I think, you better re-read some official documents about NATO-membership and -purpose.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't say that the only point is to defend ungrateful western Europeans from Russia.

Eastern Europe is far more worthy of our protection and friendship, IMO.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:42 am
The only nation that has had cause to invoke the NATO charter after being attacked, is America. Right after 9/11, when NATO allies began flying fighters over New York.
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:49 am
You're pathetic--you just obsessively hate Americans and the United States. Let's discuss the Ukraine, given that that is the topic of the thread.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:53 am
@Setanta,
Just pointing out the facts. I didn't call any other NATO nation ungrateful, but instead of looking at the facts you'd rather take Oralboy's side. Now that really is pathetic.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:55 am
The latest.

Quote:
EU leaders have signed an agreement on closer relations with Ukraine, in a show of support following Russia's annexation of Crimea.

The EU signed the deal hours after announcing more targeted sanctions.

Pro-Moscow leader Viktor Yanukovych's abandonment of the deal in November had led to deadly protests, his removal and Russia taking over Crimea.

On Friday, Russia's upper house unanimously approved the treaty on Crimea joining the Russian Federation.

'Rule of law'

The EU Association Agreement is designed to give Ukraine's interim leadership under PM Arseniy Yatsenyuk economic and political support.

EU President Herman Van Rompuy said in a statement that the accord "recognises the aspirations of the people of Ukraine to live in a country governed by values, by democracy and the rule of law".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26680250
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:57 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't say that the only point is to defend ungrateful western Europeans from Russia.

Eastern Europe is far more worthy of our protection and friendship, IMO.

Q1. Ungrateful. Are you sure that you used the correct word here? If so, why?

Q2. Given that you have more than one brain cell and therefore understand that any joining by Ukraine of NATO right now will immediately lead to a thousand tanks being driven right up their chuff, is it just the fact that you are sitting in an armchair a few thousand miles away that makes you so brave?
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
Bullsh*t, i didn't take anyone's side, and you do obsessively hate Americans and the Untied Staes. Grow up.
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Given that you have more than one brain cell and therefore understand that any joining by Ukraine of NATO right now will immediately lead to a thousand tanks being driven right up their chuff, is it just the fact that you are sitting in an armchair a few thousand miles away that makes you so brave?

That bore repeating.
0 Replies