COUP IN KYIV?

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:36 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If you expect us all to doff our caps and thank you very much when you glorify a period in your history when you liked to kill us, then you'll have a rude awakening.

You directed your comment about George Washington at me, not at anyone else, because I'm British. What was the point of that if not to issue a veiled threat about us knowing our place?

How would you feel if I kept on going on about what a brilliant man Ho Chi Minh was, and directed those comments at you when you were the only American on the thread?

In my opinion, many of the European countries, regardless of the EU propaganda about being "Europeans," have a collective hubris about their respective country that is almost comical. The French, the Germans, the British, the Italians, the Spanish - ask one and you'd think their respective culture was God's gift to the world, in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Izzy: You directed your comment about George Washington at me, not at anyone else, because I'm British. What was the point of that if not to issue a veiled threat about us knowing our place?
//////////

Paranoid much?

Do you know your place amongst Brits of a higher social class?
Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:50 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:
America is huge, yet so many of you go on about immigration. Baldimo talks about little else.

This is because the demographic face of America is changing. By 2040 Latinos will outnumber whites in the US. We can see this already in that Latinos, African Americans, Liberals, Independents, Gays, elected a black president....TWICE!

Republicans are sh*tting bricks. Each state with a Republican governor is instituting repressive measures against voting by introducing new laws which include voter ID, shorter voting days to vote, fewer voting machines, etc.

The GOP's base is rigidly against giving immigrants a chance to become citizens, and it's this ungenerous attitude which turns Hispanics and other minorities off. The GOP is against Gays, and the base is highly racist against non-whites. In mainstream presidential elections, it's doubtful if a rightwing Republican will ever be elected with their antiquated mode of thinking....sticking their nose into the bedroom and introducing ultrasound for women seeking an abortion. It's too late to turn back the tide because even if immigration were stopped tonight, the Latinos who're here already have been multiplying and they are everywhere. Menus are written in Spanish and English now in the US. We see a proliferation of educated Latinos in all the professions and many as TV anchors. America is turning brown.

In my own opinion, I would think that the U.S. might one day be more like South America, similar to the tv novellas, where the upper classes are white, and everyone else is some darker shade. That might reflect the fact that we all have a global economy, and in other countries, whiteness is still an advantage. So, we could one day have a cradle to grave welfare state for the masses; however, the upper class will likely remain white, since the upper class women, for the most part, want the next generation to look like them, in my opinion.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 01:06 pm
UK 262 people per square kilometre

USA 32 .33 people per square kilometre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:17 pm
Swiss diplomat: Russia agrees to observer mission in Crimea
Quote:
The Kremlin has reportedly agreed to support an observer mission in Crimea. Meanwhile, Russia has conducted military exercises near the Ukrainian border, while Kyiv has voted to establish a new national guard.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:19 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, many of the European countries, regardless of the EU propaganda about being "Europeans," have a collective hubris about their respective country that is almost comical. The French, the Germans, the British, the Italians, the Spanish - ask one and you'd think their respective culture was God's gift to the world, in my opinion.
People who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones ...
panzade

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:20 pm
@Foofie,
I get a tingly feeling when a Jew discusses Scientific Racism.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:56 pm
@Foofie,
You might not know Foof that GazProm is the main sponsor of the Champions League.

You might not also know that while our football teams are second rate in world football our Premier League broadcasts are the most watched around the world.

If a Chinese player is in one of the games it puts 50,000,000. or thereabouts, on the Chinese TV audience. An English player playing in China would do nothing here.

And you post in English. As more and more do. It's our style you see.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 03:18 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
You might not also know that while our football teams are second rate in world football our Premier League broadcasts are the most watched around the world.

The popularity of the Premier league puts the Superbowl in the shade with almost six times the global audience, especially when you consider that the Manchester Derby was just a league game, no cup, title or anything was dependent upon the outcome.

Quote:
An estimated 650 million television viewers worldwide watched the Man City-Man United blockbuster at Etihad Stadium yesterday, City’s home ground.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/05/02/manchester-set-a-club-television-audience-world-record/

Quote:
In 2014, Super Bowl XLVIII became the most-watched American television program in history with an average audience of 111.5 million viewers,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 03:54 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You directed your comment about George Washington at me, not at anyone else, because I'm British. What was the point of that if not to issue a veiled threat about us knowing our place?

How would you feel if I kept on going on about what a brilliant man Ho Chi Minh was, and directed those comments at you when you were the only American on the thread?

Ah, give it a break, iz. If you've ever mentioned WWII, does that mean you are extoling the virtues of killing Germans? Probably not. So far as going on about it, she isn't and hasn't. You have and are.

This has been a good, informative thread. I hope it stays that way.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 04:04 pm
@panzade,
I take that too as a virtue of a2k. This goes awry, but I think it still works.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 04:13 pm
@roger,
Yes, excellent thread.
Let's not squabble and show the Roosskies any cracks in our alliance...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 04:27 pm
@roger,
Wrong thread.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 04:46 pm
@roger,
Give it a break? You're the one bringing it up again.

For the record I've never directed a comment about WW2 to Walter.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 06:45 pm
@izzythepush,
No. You fall on the first step. It's not America's job to step into this. Crimea isn't the West's to give (or keep.)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:05 pm
@roger,
I remember thinking ho chi minh wasn't all bad.
Besides, we flamed their country so it wouldn't domino.
I've friends who died in all that. I piss at the uselessness.

It is still to me a very informative thread.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Another opinion by DW ...
Russia holds the cards in Crimea
Quote:
Sanctions and harsh words for Russia matched with solidarity with Ukraine's interim government: The US president has exhausted his options in the Crimea crisis, but his Russian counterpart still has cards to play.
[...]
"The US is most exposed when it comes to what we call the NDN, which is the Northern distribution network," Chivvis said. "This is the supply system that was set up to supply our forces in Afghanistan."

All 38,000 US troops are scheduled to use the NDN, which runs from the Baltic States across Russia and central Asia to Afghanistan. During the war in Afghanistan, about 40 percent of all US military goods were transported via this route, and Washington paid Moscow about $1 billion (720 million euros) annually for use of its roads.

Obama will have to hope Putin still wants that check.
[...]
Putin is currently considering barring foreign inspectors. That's unfortunate, but it needn't spell the end to the key disarmament treaty, according to David Cortright, director of policy studies at the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies of the University of Notre Dame.
"It's something that can be accepted if it's not long term - there are other means of monitoring Russian nuclear forces," he said. "Even if we lose those onsite inspections for some period, I don't think it's an irreversible danger."

What is much more dangerous is what a breach of the treaty would signal to countries like North Korea and Iran, Cortright said.
And there's another problem that vexes Cortright. After the breakup of the Soviet Union, Ukraine signed the 1994 Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances, agreeing to give up 1,600 nuclear warheads. The United States, Great Britain and Russia in turn agreed to guarantee Ukraine's territorial integrity. Moscow appears to regard the treaty as void.

"The collapse of the security assurances that were provided to Ukraine in 1994 is also serious in terms of the implications for non-proliferation, because security assurances are important for convincing states to give up their nuclear weapons," Cortright said.
[...]
But Putin might just turn the tables on US economic sanctions, according to Cortright, and put a stranglehold on Europe's economy by cutting the energy supply to the West. "The goal of that, of course, would be to try to split the US from the European Community so there is not a united front."
... ... ...
gungasnake

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Russia holds the cards in Crimea

No ****...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 02:24 am
@Lash,
You're the one who's fallen, and doesn't really understand what's going on. You don't seem to have learned the lessons of the 1930s.

America, Britain and Russia are all signatories of a treaty guaranteeing the territorial integrity of Ukraine.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 02:41 am
The latest.
Quote:
US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov are preparing for key talks on Ukraine in London, as a disputed referendum in Crimea looms on Sunday.

Mr Kerry is expected to warn Mr Lavrov that the referendum and Russia's military intervention in Crimea could trigger concerted US and EU sanctions.

He has warned of "very serious steps" if Russia annexes the region.

Russia insisted at the UN on Thursday it did "not want war" with Ukraine.

During an emergency meeting of the Security Council, Moscow's ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin defended the right of Crimea, which is predominantly ethnic Russian, to decide whether or not to join the Russian Federation.

Russia's military intervention followed the fall of Ukraine's pro-Moscow President Viktor Yanukovych on 22 February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26572530
0 Replies