COUP IN KYIV?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 03:44 pm
@Foofie,
You just love picking up the wrong end of the stick. I never said there weren't benefits to Polish immigration. The fact remains anti immigration parties like UKIP have become a lot stronger, and Britain, as you're so keen to point out, is only a tiny island. There is a limit to how many people can live here. America is huge, yet so many of you go on about immigration. Baldimo talks about little else.
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 04:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk: not all victims of brutal aggression get saved by the global do-gooders brigade, at least in a timely manor...
///////

Still, even after you know the truth you go on in your delusion, Hawk. Iraq was under Saddam under the USA.

You forgot to include the USA is brutally oppressive.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 04:22 pm
@Foofie,
Foof: Please don't begrudge the U.S. for having a 3,000 mile wide country.

Please don't begrudge the U.S. for stealing a 3,000 mile wide country.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 04:29 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Its really interest I am sitting here talking to somebody so far away, thinking of you being so right there, is kind of mind boggling, while I am sitting here in a little rural town of KY.

Is that where the jelly comes from?
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 07:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
America is huge, yet so many of you go on about immigration. Baldimo talks about little else.

This is because the demographic face of America is changing. By 2040 Latinos will outnumber whites in the US. We can see this already in that Latinos, African Americans, Liberals, Independents, Gays, elected a black president....TWICE!

Republicans are sh*tting bricks. Each state with a Republican governor is instituting repressive measures against voting by introducing new laws which include voter ID, shorter voting days to vote, fewer voting machines, etc.

The GOP's base is rigidly against giving immigrants a chance to become citizens, and it's this ungenerous attitude which turns Hispanics and other minorities off. The GOP is against Gays, and the base is highly racist against non-whites. In mainstream presidential elections, it's doubtful if a rightwing Republican will ever be elected with their antiquated mode of thinking....sticking their nose into the bedroom and introducing ultrasound for women seeking an abortion. It's too late to turn back the tide because even if immigration were stopped tonight, the Latinos who're here already have been multiplying and they are everywhere. Menus are written in Spanish and English now in the US. We see a proliferation of educated Latinos in all the professions and many as TV anchors. America is turning brown.
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 06:54 am
I am hopeful that Izzy is not an example of the British people. The other day, I did not mean to stir up a hornets nest. I've never been to the UK or anywhere you have to take a plane or a ship simply because we didn't when I was growing up and my husband refuses to do so now so I have no actual experience with any place other than the US, and not all the states in the US either. I love to read and personal preference is romance as I have already said, but, it is only historical romance and mostly set in London anywhere from the 1700's to 1900's. I suppose like historical southern romance books give a rosy view of the south, those books must give a rosy view of the UK. I also love watching on KET repeats of "Keeping up with Appearances or "Summer Wine". I like the accents. What I am getting at in a long and rambling way (sorry) is that despite perhaps my post of the other day, I have nothing against the British and certainly don't want our troops over there to kill them all.

PS, I am sure there are lots of people who make jelly, right in their own homes in their little old kitchens and then store them in mason jars in KY.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:37 am
@revelette2,
If you expect us all to doff our caps and thank you very much when you glorify a period in your history when you liked to kill us, then you'll have a rude awakening.

You directed your comment about George Washington at me, not at anyone else, because I'm British. What was the point of that if not to issue a veiled threat about us knowing our place?

How would you feel if I kept on going on about what a brilliant man Ho Chi Minh was, and directed those comments at you when you were the only American on the thread?
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
I don't expect anything. When I used George Washington as an example of a leader who led during a change of government, it was thoughtless and I am sorry for having done it.

My going on was with JTT, but again, my apologies.

If you went on about Ho Chi Minh it probably wouldn't have bothered me, but I am sure it would have bothered those who fought in the war or family members. As an American on these threads, pretty used to anti-American comments.

Don't worry I don't expect any doffing of hats. In fact, I would just as soon move on. I can ignore you and you can ignore me, the rest of the thread can move along. .
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy: You directed your comment about George Washington at me, not at anyone else, because I'm British. What was the point of that if not to issue a veiled threat about us knowing our place?
//////////

Paranoid much?
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:55 am
@revelette2,
Rev: I don't expect anything. When I used George Washington as an example of a leader who led during a change of government, it was thoughtless and I am sorry for having done it.
///////

Yeah, it's not the best to use war criminals as a example of your finest.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:58 am
@revelette2,
Suits me, I'd rather focus on Ukraine.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 08:57 am
The latest.

Quote:
Ukraine's parliament has voted to create a 60,000-strong National Guard to bolster the country's defences.

The vote came ahead of Sunday's referendum in Crimea, now controlled by pro-Moscow forces, on whether citizens want to join Russia.

President Vladimir Putin insists Russia is not to blame for the crisis.

But Germany's Angela Merkel says Moscow faces "massive" political and economic damage if it refuses to change course. The US has also threatened action.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian gas tycoon Dmytro Firtash was arrested in the Austrian capital, Vienna, police there confirmed.

Mr Firtash, believed to be one of the richest men in Ukraine and one of the backers of the ousted Ukrainian President Yanukovych, is wanted by US authorities on suspicion of corruption.

Austrian police told the BBC the arrest had nothing to do with current political events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26558288
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
Interesting comments following the RT-report about Merkel's speech today

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps195822fc.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well that certainly fits in with Russia's attempt to portray all Ukrainians as fascists. I didn't think Germany had much, if anything, to do with the Balkans. I wonder if they're as happy to do without German money when you start buying your gas from elsewhere.

These posts could be sponsored by the Kremlin, as are some posters on A2k. They're quite easy to spot because they often claim to be British but write in American English. Then again they might just be idiots, or ordinary people fed a steady drip drip of Russian propaganda. If RT is to be believed there are no Russian troops in Crimea save those aboard ship, and Kiev is populated solely by Ukrainian brownshirts going around assaulting anyone speaking in Russian.

When I was last in Germany everyone was very friendly. In fact the only German who was ever rude to me was when I was 17, and she was a nun.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
Mr Firtash, believed to be one of the richest men in Ukraine and one of the backers of the ousted Ukrainian President Yanukovych, is wanted by US authorities on suspicion of corruption.
/////////

Wanted by US authorities on suspicion of corruption - the irony!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
DW-opinion: No way out of the Crimea crisis

Quote:
It is rare that a government statement is anticipated with as much deep concern as Chancellor Angela Merkel's address to parliament on the situation in Ukraine. For weeks and months, a drama that has shocked the continent has been unfolding right at the gates of the European Union. It's about democracy and self-determination on the one hand, and power and geopolitical interests on the other. The crisis is headed for another fever pitch with the weekend's referendum in Crimea. But the West is at a loss as to how to prevent the secession of the peninsula from Ukraine and its annexation by Russia.

Merkel addressed her preference to defuse the conflict with diplomacy, adding that military action is not an option. Instead, she said, the West is banking on a mix of negotiations, financial assistance for Ukraine and sanctions against Russia. Should Moscow hold fast to its confrontational course, current sanctions would be tightened, she said. The clock can't be set back, Merkel added, saying that conflicts of interest in Europe can't be solved by resorting to methods dating from the 20th century.

The West made mistakes
But that is exactly what the West - the United States and the European Union -has done. After the fall of the Iron Curtain and the Soviet Union, the West acted like the victor, and increased its sphere of influence right up to Russia's borders. The West broke its promise not to expand NATO into Eastern Europe and further curtail Moscow's sphere of influence. NATO and the EU took no considerations of Russian sensibilities during their expansions into Eastern Europe.

Despite Moscow's wishes, the West intervened in Yugoslavia and recognized Kosovo's independence. With the help of Western allies and in violation of international law, the US went to war in Iraq, and intervened in Libya. As of late, the West has had an unabashed eye on Africa - or
rather, the natural resources on the African continent.

It's no surprise that Russia feels besieged and deceived.

Putin, who regards the dissolution of the Soviet Union as the greatest of misfortunes, no longer intends to put up with the continued curtailing of his influence. A revolutionary democracy movement at his own doorstep can't possibly suit the brutal, power-hungry politician who rigorously suppresses democracy and freedom of opinion in his own country. For that reason, threats from the West won't keep him from tearing Crimea from Ukraine and incorporating it into Russia. Let there be no misunderstanding: this would be a clear, unacceptable breach of international law.

... ... ...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 09:46 am
@JTT,
Does it still outrage you, JT, at your age, that those who hold the reins define what corruption is?

The poacher on the gibbet is a device to ensure that plump and perfect pheasants are delivered to the banquets in plentiful supply.

How is life, btw, in the land of plenty?
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:15 pm
@spendius,
You mean Australia? JTT is an Australian?

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You just love picking up the wrong end of the stick. I never said there weren't benefits to Polish immigration. The fact remains anti immigration parties like UKIP have become a lot stronger, and Britain, as you're so keen to point out, is only a tiny island. There is a limit to how many people can live here. America is huge, yet so many of you go on about immigration. Baldimo talks about little else.

England is not a tiny island. It is an island though, so making comparisons to a country that is practically a continent is sort of comparing apples to oranges.

But, I do not think England has that much to say in international politics, except perhaps to shepherd its Commonwealth countries, as a good mentor?

You seem to be very concerned about things that might have been more of England's concern two centuries ago? And, no one told Britain/England to join the EU. As the old Jewish saying goes, "One can't dance at two weddings at the same time."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Foof: Please don't begrudge the U.S. for having a 3,000 mile wide country.

Please don't begrudge the U.S. for stealing a 3,000 mile wide country.

Let's give credit, where credit is due. Anglo-Saxons just invoked eminent domain to make better use of the 3,000 mile wide country than previous inhabitants. I assume you are not Anglo-Saxon, so you might not appreciate that reality.