COUP IN KYIV?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 10:40 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I thought is was Paul Revere?
That isn't the name of the quoted report's author neither. I wrote it correctly.
Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I thought is was Paul Revere?
That isn't the name of the quoted report's author neither. I wrote it correctly.

I was being humorous. Paul Revere was the colonial American that warned the colonists that the British were coming (to fight the colonists).

Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 10:49 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

A little levity sometimes is a good thing.

I have to be so careful these days. One can be branded a "troll" so easily, in my opinion. First I had to live with the sock-puppet canard. And, then a troll? What is a Foofie to do?
Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 10:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

... Look, you're doing it again--"you lot," who would that be?

In my opinion, that might be the British version of the New Yawkese, "Youse guys." In my opinion, it is a euphemism for using an actual national/ethnic moniker. Considering the British often refer to Pakistanis as "Pakis," that has a pejorative inference I believe, "you lot" may be a more generous moniker?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Paul Revere was the colonial American that warned the colonists that the British were coming (to fight the colonists).
I've had to read that at the age of 11 in English. (And later visited quite a few places where Revere is said to have been.)

But that was neither the question nor related to the article I've quoted.
I couldn't find any reference to the Pope or any Chief Rabbi in any country in that quoted and sourced article either.
0 Replies

panzade

@Foofie,
Quote:
What is a Foofie to do?

What others do on a2k...relax and be oneself.
Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:05 am
At this point I think the Pope should attempt to ingratiate the west to Russia by announcing that the Trinity only began at the birth of Jesus; one of the contentious points at the Schism (with the Eastern Orthodox Church).
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I realize I am asking you to look into a Chrystal ball, but how do you think this is going to go? What I'm asking is if Russia don't back off, it doesn't look like they are going to even with tougher sanctions, what then? If your answer is, Crimea becomes part of Russia, what happens with the rest of Ukraine? Will they be free to operate how they choose? Or will they be all but name, occupied by Russia?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:52 am
@revelette2,
I'm not totally sure if Crimea will become part of Russia or "only" a republic similar to ... Belarus.
The Ukraine? The situation will last, I fear.

I've just seen a tv-report from Poland. People were quite afraid of being so close to the Russian and Ukrainian border.
Two third of my live I've been closer to the border than any of those interviewed in Warsaw.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 12:22 pm
@revelette2,
Ukraine's Security Council chief has accused Russia of planning to invade after it claimed that tens of thousands of troops have amassed on the country’s border.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 12:59 pm
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the situation will last, the situation such as Russian troops stationed around the borders of Crimea?

I guess what I am getting at is, will Ukraine be allowed to go through with the EU deal they wanted in which the previous president of Ukraine scrapped?

If they are allowed to align with the EU if they want to,
if a deal can be reached to that effect between Crimea/Ukraine/Russia and western allies, then maybe it all won't be so bad. But if they are under the thumb of Russia, will the rest of the world just accept it as a bad thing and go on?

Its really interest I am sitting here talking to somebody so far away, thinking of you being so right there, is kind of mind boggling, while I am sitting here in a little rural town of KY.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 01:04 pm
@revelette2,
Well, what I think is that the situation as it is will last - with ups and downs, but without something really clear.

EU? They want to start talks about an association next week.
(To become a full EU-member will last years!)
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 01:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

(To become a full EU-member will last years!)

It will probably still happen before Turkey.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 01:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
OK about the EU association, pretty good news.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 01:09 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
But if they are under the thumb of Russia, will the rest of the world just accept it as a bad thing and go on?
Yes. We did so with Georgia (Abkhazia and South Ossetia).
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 02:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

revelette2 wrote:
But if they are under the thumb of Russia, will the rest of the world just accept it as a bad thing and go on?
Yes. We did so with Georgia (Abkhazia and South Ossetia).

Putin is brutally oppressive, but not all victims of brutal aggression get saved by the global do-gooders brigade, at least in a timely manor...Bosnia, the Rohingya, about a dozen gross examples in Africa during my lifetime, Syria, Iraq under Saddam, the Chinese in Tienanmen Square ......
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 02:20 pm
Russia invited members of European ultra-national and extreme right-wing parties to monitor March 16's Crimean poll on seceding from Ukraine and joining Russia, e.g. from the Bulgarian Nationalist Party of Bulgaria, the Austrian FPÖ, the French Front National, the Belgian Vlaams Belang, the Italian Lega Nord ...

While some of these parties just want to prove that the EU doesn't work and therefore support Putin's politics, other want to get more 'minority rights' as well ...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 02:37 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

OK about the EU association, pretty good news.

You have to realise certain tests have to be satisfied. The EU has freedom of movement, if poorer Eastern countries were given membership the population could just up sticks and move West. The Blair Government was badly burned when they decided to let the Poles in two years before Germany and a lot of other Western countries. The amount of Poles they predicted would come to Britain turned out to be the amount that came to Southampton. There's been big cultural changes, there are loads of Polish shops. In my son's primary school class of 30, five children were Polish. That's a huge extra burden on schools, hospitals, housing and the like. Romania and Bulgaria have just been granted free membership, and the tabloids went mad in anticipation of the deluge. Anti- EU parties like UKIP are making strides on the back of immigration.

Immigration is big in America, and you're no way near as densely populated as we are.
Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 02:49 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

...The amount of Poles they predicted would come to Britain turned out to be the amount that came to Southampton. There's been big cultural changes, there are loads of Polish shops. In my son's primary school class of 30, five children were Polish. That's a huge extra burden on schools, hospitals, housing and the like...

Apparently someone wants to hire Polish workers. That being the case, the Poles are contributing to the economy, so they might not be a "burden" on the infrastructure. The native Brits might be a burden on the infrastructure, if they choose not to do the work the Poles are willing to do? Labor and capital go where it is utilized, under a free market system.
Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 02:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Immigration is big in America, and you're no way near as densely populated as we are.

America seems to attract two types of immigrants. Those with money to be entrepreneurs, or without money that are just laborers. Either way, they go where people are; oftentimes in densely populated urban areas. So, neighborhoods change, and the younger native generation moves out of the area they were raised in. It is a natural cycle in the U.S. But, don't think the wide open spaces in Wyoming are being filled with immigrants. They go to NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami - where the jobs are. The ones with money might buy a franchise in a more rural setting, so one might find a Pakistani/Arab/Asian owning a franchise in an out of the way town/city.

Please don't begrudge the U.S. for having a 3,000 mile wide country. Earlier generations had a lot of disease and hard work to make the U.S. what it is today. So, now others come for a better life. In effect, living on a large island does not allow one to claim that a large island is just as good as a 3,000 mile wide country. Do you know what tough noogies mean?