COUP IN KYIV?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 05:17 pm
@revelette2,
But they are on their own, it's a fact. What can the Ukrainian government do to help them? There's a choice those soldiers have got, capitulate, start a war they cannot win, or stand firm. They decided to stand firm despite tremendous provocation, and it's admirable.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 05:29 pm
@izzythepush,
I think you are making too much of this point, but, to put it this way, just imagine if George Washington told the Continental Army to figure it out for themselves.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 05:59 pm
@revelette2,
George is no hero. He's just one of a bunch of terrorists, Rev.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 06:36 pm
@JTT,
oh come on, JTT, maybe not as it relates to Indians, but for Americans in the revolutionary war, he was a hero if ever there was one.

Washington at Valley Forge
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:27 pm
@revelette2,
Of course he was a hero to USians, Rev. Such is the way of propaganda. But that doesn't make him any less a terrorist and a war criminal.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:30 pm
@revelette2,
oh come on, Rev, maybe not as it relates to the Jews but for Germans in WWII, Hitler was a hero if ever there was one.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:46 pm
@JTT,
Took you a while to come up with that huh? When you put it like that, my post is pretty silly.

However, my main point was not to brag about Valley Forge, but just to point out that any fighting group who is fighting for a cause like trying to keep their land, needs a leader and/or directional focus.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:32 am
@revelette2,
You just love reminiscing about killing us don't you? Try sticking to Ukraine.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 03:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Targeted sanctions against wealthy individuals who back Putin, along with visa restrictions and asset freezing could have a significant effect.

According to a rather punchy (nasty?) op-ed in the New York Times, it won't happen because it would go against the City's financial interest:

Quote:
London’s Laundry Business
By BEN JUDAH
March 7, 2014

LONDON — THE city has changed. The buses are still dirty, the people are still passive-aggressive, but something about London has changed. You can see signs of it everywhere. The townhouses in the capital’s poshest districts are empty; they have been sold to Russian oligarchs and Qatari princes.

England’s establishment is not what it was; the old imperial elite has become crude and mercenary. On Monday, a British civil servant was photographed arriving in Downing Street for a national security council meeting with an open document in his hand. We could read for ourselves lines from a confidential report on how Prime Minister David Cameron’s government should respond to the Crimea crisis. It recommended that Britain should “not support, for now, trade sanctions,” nor should it “close London’s financial center to Russians.”

The White House has imposed visa restrictions on some Russian officials, and President Obama has issued an executive order enabling further sanctions. But Britain has already undermined any unified action by putting profit first.

It boils down to this: Britain is ready to betray the United States to protect the City of London’s hold on dirty Russian money. And forget about Ukraine.

Britain, open for business, no longer has a “mission.” Any moralizing remnant of the British Empire is gone; it has turned back to the pirate England of Sir Walter Raleigh. Britain’s ruling class has decayed to the point where its first priority is protecting its cut of Russian money — even as Russian armored personnel carriers rumble around the streets of Sevastopol. But the establishment understands that, in the 21st century, what matters are banks, not tanks.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/opinion/londons-laundry-business.html

What do you make of that?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 03:36 am
@Olivier5,
I think they've got a point, Boris Johnson London mayor has talked of the need to keep attracting Russian oligarchs money. I think it's one of the side effects of self interested capitalism.

The word 'betray' says a lot about American attitudes to the UK, and is why, like France, we should remove American bases from Britain with immediate effect. Rev's post just confirms that feeling.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 03:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The word 'betray' says a lot about American attitudes to the UK, ...
I think that this attitude has a lot do with the fact that the USA hasn't to fear a lot about any 'answers' to the sanctions.

Russia is situated in Europe, a major trade partner for most countries - and not just just an important gas supplier for many.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 03:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It also shows that America thinks it can dictate to Europe. There's another thread about Ukraine joining the EU. It's clear Americans don't think we should have any say in the matter.

Maybe we should allow Putin to base the Black Sea fleet in Plymouth. Russians, for all their faults, respect European sovereignty.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 03:54 am
@izzythepush,
I too found it rather nasty, and it's also the phrase 'betray America' that ticked me off (and the sweeping generalizations). This is not about America. Let's see what Cameron does.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:00 am
@Olivier5,
It's also quite old, the civil servant in question was photographed over a week ago.

This is the thread about Ukraine and the EU.
http://able2know.org/topic/237199-1
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:00 am
It gets rather tedious seeing people take the worst examples of bone-headed American polemic and extrapolating that to characterize all Americans. You lot would fill you little lace panties if that were done to you. Is it reasonable to assume that the National Front in France or the BNP in the UK speak for all the people of their respective nations? Just because Revelette is an idiot is no reason to assume that all Americans are idiots.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:03 am
For all America's pontificating, Kerry is still not prepared to sit down face to face with Putin.

Quote:
US Secretary of State John Kerry has rejected an offer of talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin until Moscow engages with US proposals to tackle the crisis in Ukraine.

Mr Kerry told his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov that Moscow's military intervention in Crimea had made any negotiations extremely difficult.

US officials say there will be little to talk about if the referendum on Crimea's future goes ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26524056
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:11 am
@Setanta,
When members of the BNP start posting on this thread you might have a point, but I think Rev's attitude towards Europe is more mainstream than you'd like to admit.
Quote:
During the 2010 General Election, the BNP received 1.9% of the vote and failed to win any seats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party

Compare that to the Tea Party. My brackets.

Quote:
A CBS News/New York Times poll in September 2010 showed 19% of respondents supported the movement(Teaparty)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

Rev did not write the New York Times article
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:19 am
@izzythepush,
So, essentially, your answer is that Americans are statistically more likely to be idiots than Limeys? Your boy Romeo runs around this site posting really nasty, racist, white supremacist horseshit all the time. I don't see you following him around to correct the record. The fact remains that you are not justified in assuming that all Americans have idiotic ideas just because one of them shows up here to embarrass himself.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:24 am
@Setanta,
Romeo isn't writing anti American articles in British newspapers. I've pointed out my disgust for him on more than one occasion.

I wasn't saying Americans were more likely to be idiots than us Europeans, but pointing out that America still feels it can dictate to Europe.

Note my use of the non pejorative word American, contrasted with your use of the word limey. (Nuff said.)
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 04:26 am
@izzythepush,
Well, i hope you really didn't like that "Limey," you narrow-minded, parochial little bigot. Note that you continue to attempt to characterize all Americans as having one, and only one point of view. Enough said.