COUP IN KYIV?

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:51 am
@Ragman,
Put it this way. They thought about putting the army on the streets a few years ago, but discovered that both of them were away on holiday.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:09 am
@Ragman,
The Flemish speakers view the French speakers as lazy, that it's Flemish speakers who generate the most revenue and prop up the rest of the country. There could be a split, with French speaking Brussels, in Flemish speaking Flanders, set up as an autonomous international city (a lot of the EU's business takes place there.)

If that happens it will be a peaceful split like the Czech Republic and Slovakia, but we're not there yet.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:12 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry Izz, I couldn't resist.
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:12 am
OK, really bad Belgian joke . . .

Il y avait deux Belges qui était en train d'aller à la plage en France, lorsqu'ils ont vus une affiche--<<Pas de Calais>>. Ainsi, ils ont rentrés.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:25 am
@izzythepush,
Here's the poor little Ukraine, people actually in fear for their lives, holding their war criminals to account. Compare that to Izzy's UK and the USA. But still these hypocrites come prancing out spewing all manner of indignation over a few deaths and events that, while serious, compare not at all to Iraq and Afghanistan.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta: (describing himself)
You never let your profound ignorance get in the way of your phony-baloney indignation. You run into a thread, knowing f*ck-all about the subject and attempt to take a stand on principles--but you never know enough to make the stand credible. What's amazing to me if your complete inability to acknowledge your ignorance. All you seem to think is needed is a politically correct, "I'm a free thinker" point of view. You're pathetic.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:33 am
@izzythepush,
thanks. That's what I was looking for - the socio-political split is not just about diff language/competing cultures but is around the issues of economy and EU participation.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawk: the Wests nearly universal approval of this assault on democracy will not end well. Democracy is not about the will of the loudest or the ones with the best weapons,

//////////////////////

Really, Hawk? Can you say Vietnam, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Iraq, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, Guatemala, ... .

No really, what is wrong with you people? The USA, the country that is supposed to be about democracy, the rule of law and all men are created equal is the very antithesis of that.

The hypocrisy!!!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:37 am
@Lordyaswas,
That's very parliamentary of you, Lordy. The lot of you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:41 am
@Ragman,
I think the fact that they couldn't form a government was 2010/11 is most telling. That was the financial meltdown, it's in times of economic trouble that people start blaming others they perceive to be freeloading.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:42 am
@Lordyaswas,
You don't have to apologise to me, I'm just grateful no one's mentioned Scotland.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:12 am
@izzythepush,
Speaking of Scotland (from,which I understand, you do not hail). I still have relatives(cousins) in Lvov and Kharkov. I cannot imagine a Holiday dinner tble with all of them invited. When it was during the USSR days, at least they hd a common enemy and now, the Eastern contingent longs for the "good ole days"?
These were my mom and Dads paternal sides .
I might add that they have better internet nd high speed networking than our country.
USA is the THIRD WORLD of internet and high speed . I think we lie just ahead of Uzbhekistan and even Moldova has a fiber network.

Fuckin plutocrat cable providers

I think, in Cyrillic it would be like KniB

Foofie

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:55 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Here's the poor little Ukraine, people actually in fear for their lives, holding their war criminals to account. Compare that to Izzy's UK and the USA. But still these hypocrites come prancing out spewing all manner of indignation over a few deaths and events that, while serious, compare not at all to Iraq and Afghanistan.

In my opinion, it is just the newest international "gossip" that allows mundane folk to feel that their existences are not irrelevant, by having an "opinion."

The forum just functions as the proverbial back-yard fence, in my opinion.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@Foofie,
do you yet rise to the mundane or are you still in the palludal benthic?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:17 pm
@izzythepush,
... and everyone forgets that German is the third official language in Belgium, that there is a German-speaking Community [Deutschsprachige Gemeinschaft (German), Communauté germanophone (French), Duitstalige Gemeenschap (Dutch)] with own government, parliament as well besides the French and the Flemish Community ...
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:22 pm
I haven't a clue what the Ukraine trouble is all about, I only know that troops are shooting at people.
I keep meaning to google and read up on it but in the meantime perhaps A2K can explain in just a couple of sentences-
Why don't the people like their Kiev government, and do all the people feel the same way or are the rebels just a minority?
Whose side are A2Kers on?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
People tend to look back with rose tinted specs. Have you seen this? I haven't but my daughter says it's very good.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:51 pm
@farmerman,
Foofie, despite many phony threats, has not sought the safety of ignore, Mr Academic.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy: People tend to look back with rose tinted specs.
-------

You ain't just whistling Dixie there, Iz.

Izzy: Have you seen this? I haven't but my daughter says it's very good.

--------

Considering that your daughter is every bit the liar her pa is, Iz, should that be taken with a grain of salt?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
I remember on the News, Belgians being vox popped about how their country was managing without any politicians, and there seemed to be a resounding consensus that they were better off without them.
0 Replies