COUP IN KYIV?

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:47 am
@hawkeye10,
The announcement comes from the elected parliament, Bright Boy. If you knew what was going on (you don't and that never troubles you), you'd know that the round of protests, beginning in November of last year, which culminated in Yanukovych fleeing Kyiv was ignited by his unilateral decision to reject closer economic ties to the EU. Why not, for a really radical change, try educating yourself before your shoot off your big, ignorant mouth?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:58 am
@hawkeye10,
What, you mean that the oligarchs stop Brits from going to their luxury mansions in Moscow?

Erm.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:53 am
Hehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:23 am
@izzythepush,
Perhaps he's going off on a russian ship? (more likely plane, not that I know)
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:52 am
@ossobuco,
I think Putin will ditch him, or he will conveniently be 'disappeared', Pinochet style.

Putin will at least try to appear to negotiate with the new guard, and if the new guard are serious about their intentions, then Ukraine might well enter into serious new negotiations with Russia, as well as the EU. It would serve everyone well to try and stabilise Ukraine as a neutral buffer, because both sides could live with that.
To have an ex Pres in the background, stirring things up, could cause Putin all sorts of embarrassment.

What Putin won't stand for is a new pro western country materialising on his doorstep, so both sides need to take it easy with their east/west pulling.
If the west pull too hard and look to be winning, then the brown stuff could really hit the spinny thing.

Ukraine related trivia of the day......

The Victoria Cross, Britain's highest award for courage, is made of bronze taken from a Chinese made cannon used by the Russians, and seized by the British after the siege of Sevastapol (Sebastapol), in 1855.

Sevastapol is where the aforementioned Russian Black Sea Fleet is now stationed. (See walter's map, previous page)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Putin will at least try to appear to negotiate with the new guard, and if the new guard are serious about their intentions, then Ukraine might well enter into serious new negotiations with Russia, as well as the EU. ... ...
Today, Russia taunted the transitional government in Kiev - might be, they'll change the attitude after some time.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:02 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
One weapon in the West's arsenal, (particularly the UK's) is the ability to withdraw travel visas.
you could engage in Ukraine politics by way of retaliatory strikes, but it would be dumb for the same reason that torturing enemy combatants is....if you do it to others you lose any argument against others doing it to you.

Torture? Stopping a billionaire visiting his spread in Mayfair? If that's your definition of torture your 'dungeon' must be a right disappointment. Is it used as the set for the Teletubbies?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:02 am
@Lordyaswas,
You're making sense to me.

(I'm reminded of Turkey now with some of this push/pull)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:06 am
@ossobuco,
He might, or he could be securing a power base. Crimea is the most Russian facing part of Ukraine.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:07 am
@ossobuco,
Someone also referred to Turkey last night on the News.

She called them 'faultline countries' , where east meets west with equal vigour.
Whether it be cultural or religious eastiness/westiness is irrelevant. If half the population ( or thereabouts) wants almost the opposite of the other half, then this type of problem will keep on rumbling away.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:22 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
If half the population ( or thereabouts) wants almost the opposite of the other half, then this type of problem will keep on rumbling away.
See: Belgium.
Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Belgium? Enlighten me, pls? Is that debate about belonging in EU?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:28 am
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps6497683b.jpg

Interesting interactive <click> map of fallen statues of Lenin in Ukraine. Updates with every new fallen lenin. Zoomable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
Good New Yorker article on Turkey this week. I'll check and see if it is one of their free sans subscription ones.

Nope, you have to subscribe, or catch it on the newstand or library (today probably last day on the newstand).

Here's the abstract: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/02/17/140217fa_fact_batuman

Ottomania
Why Turkey is obsessed with a TV drama
(written by a turkish american who lived there a while reporting on the Tahrir Square scene, one with many varieties of protesters).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:29 am
@Ragman,
I just mean the strong division between the language-groups there (differences in culture as well) ... and between the left and right ...
Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, ok? But is Belgium in some sort of a political flare-up? Left vs right? I'm sort of in the dark...political right wing vs left issues there?

Does Belgium and such language differences and social issues that are brought into play ...is that the same sort of impact and political split such as that existing between East/West and/or Islam/vs Christian/non-Islam such as in Turkey or the hotbed in Ukraine. Or am I offbase here?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:38 am
The Russian response.
Quote:
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has said he doubts the legitimacy of Ukraine's new authorities.

In the strongest Russian reaction yet to the political upheaval in Kiev, Mr Medvedev said those now in power had conducted an "armed mutiny".

He was speaking after Ukraine's interim interior minister said an arrest warrant had been issued for fugitive ousted President Viktor Yanukovych.

MPs voted to remove Mr Yanukovych on Saturday.

Russia, angered at the loss of its political ally, has already recalled its ambassador for consultation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26327211
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:41 am
@Ragman,
Yes, ragman...it's much more serious than that.

One half of Belgium want Milk Chocolate banned, and the other half refuse to have anything to do with dark chocolate.

They often argue over the correct recipe for belgian buns, as well.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:48 am
@Ragman,
Belgium has always had problems reconciling its Flemish and French speaking populations. Between 2010 and 2011 the effectively had no government, but that had very little impact on everyday life.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:49 am
@Lordyaswas,
Chuckling over that...

But...is there a serious 'hot' political split there or just squabbling over cultural differences?

[Edit: cross-posted. thanks for clarifying; however, there's not enmity?]