COUP IN KYIV?

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 01:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, German is the third official language everywhere.

Apart from Germany of course, where it's ranked second.
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:19 pm
Now that the Olympics are over, Russia is ramping up the hysterical rhetoric, perhaps preparatory to intervening in the Ukraine.

Russia denounces Ukraine 'terrorists' and west over Yanukovich ousting. Moscow claims new government violating ethnic Russian rights and accuses west of one-sided geopolitical calculations.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

People tend to look back with rose tinted specs. Have you seen this? I haven't but my daughter says it's very good.

Sorry, Forgot to include this in my post.

Quote:
In 1990, to protect his fragile mother from a fatal shock after a long coma, a young man must keep her from learning that her beloved nation of East Germany as she knew it has disappeared.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI0MTg4NzI3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE0MTUyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:39 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Walter, German is the third official language everywhere.
In the German Community of Belgium, it's the first Wink
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy:
In 1990, to protect his fragile mother from a fatal shock after a long coma, a young man must keep her from learning that her beloved nation of East Germany as she knew it has disappeared.
------

I can understand just how onerous a duty that is, Iz. I have had to inform large numbers of Americans and other seriously deluded folk that their beloved USA has never been what they have been led to believe it is.

I also had to inform your daughter that you are a compulsive liar. She took it as well as the folks deluded about the USA.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Does Brussells allow that, Walter?

Surely there's some EU rule against it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Does Brussells allow that, Walter?
It's the first official and national language there. (Belgium is a federal state comprising three communities [, three regions, and four language areas.
wikipedia wrote:
The three regions are:
the Brussels-Capital Region (Brussels)
the Flemish Region (Flanders)
the Walloon Region (Wallonia)

The three communities are:
the Dutch-speaking Vlaamse Gemeenschap ("Flemish Community")
the French-speaking Communauté Française ("French Community")
the German-speaking Deutschsprachige Gemeinschaft ("German-speaking Community").

The four language areas (as taalgebieden in Dutch and Sprachgebiete in German), occasionally referred to as linguistic regions (from French régions linguistiques), are:
the Dutch language area
the Bilingual Brussels-Capital area
the French language area
the German language area (which has specific language facilities for French-speakers).
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So, even Herman Van Rumpypumpy speaks it?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:41 pm
Okay I googled 'trouble in Kiev' and the first site I looked at was pretty clearcut-
"Violent rabble-rousing Ukrainian citizens deposed the peaceful President"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:50 pm
@panzade,
Watch whatever you would like. It's no skin off my back.
panzade

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I knew that
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:05 pm
As expected, Putin is angling to send in Russian troops, whether to protect Ukrainian democracy or Russian Ukrainians.

Whether or not he does will depend largely upon his reading of the willingness of the West (and in particular the US) to do something of significance if he does.

Based on the debacle of Obama's Red Line in Syria, he's probably feeling pretty frisky.

For those who have argued (not necessarily in this particular forum) that international credibility as a national and presidential virtue is overrated, they will now see their theory tested.

Personally, I don't think Obama will even bark very loud when the Russian tanks roll in.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:08 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I knew that

So your little dig at Fox News was for some other audience?
panzade

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What do you want Obama to do? An invasion a la Bush?
I mean come on!
As it is, Canada and the US are threatening sanctions, and Europe is promising economic help...those days of sabre-rattling are over ...right finn?
panzade

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
So your little dig at Fox News was for some other audience?

Yupper
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, again with the, excuse my French, ******* hypocrisy! The USA invades central and South American countries, regularly, on the ludicrous pretence of national security. Russia's security is pointedly and often threatened.

I think another Cuban missile crisis is long overdue. Who's gonna blink? Or do you get to kiss your ass bye bye?

The irony, while a tad on the scary side, is delicious.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Out of curiosity, how many countries do you think the United States should be controlling? I would think that the ill conceived decision to go after imaginary weapons in Iraq which in turn redirected efforts in Afganistan having been such a raging success, would make wise people review all the available options. The Preident is briefed constantly all day with the latest intell regarding virtually everything that could possibly endanger the US and her allies. Do you get briefed every day Finn? I'm betting you're not. Tune into Fox and let Hannity tell you what you should think.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:28 pm
@glitterbag,
GB: the Preident is briefed constantly all day with the latest intell regarding virtually everything that could possibly endanger the US and her allies

---------

Laughing Laughing

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:32 pm
@panzade,
Come on?

First of all, I don't think that sending troops to a nation to counter the invasion of a neighboring nation can be considered an invasion.

Secondly, if sanctions are being threatened against Russia rather than the Ukrainian strongman and his thugs, they represent a hollow threat. Russia can certainly survive any and all Western sanctions for the period of time required for its invasion to have Putin's desired effect, and when he withdraws his troops, the sanctions will fade away.

I'm not advocating going to war with Russia over the Ukraine. The time to check Putin's adventurism has come and gone. The Great Game is very similar to a game of chicken and Obama, long ago, revealed he will always run off into the ditch .

When you speak softly and carry a big stick, it is implied that the people to whom you are speaking are well aware of your cudgel and perceive that your are willing to use it. Putin is well aware of our Big Stick, but he is also aware that there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that Obama will wield it.

The only way Obama can reclaim American credibility is to do something stupid. He won't, and not because he is smart, and so the rest of the world will be boarding the US lion for the next three years.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:33 pm
@glitterbag,
No doubt you used this very same argument to respond to critics of President Bush.
0 Replies