COUP IN KYIV?

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:28 am
@revelette2,
Rev: Well, I don't see how ya"ll can just think all this is ok. Russia is now going into the outer parts ...

//////////////////////

It isn't okay, Rev. It's terrible. More innocents will likely die, why? Because of the political machinations of the powerful. Who is largely to blame? The USA/NATO grouping. After all these years they're still attempting to terrorize Russia.

A good balance, Russian missiles in central and South America would restore some sanity, except the USA isn't anywhere near sane. Tho' admittedly I'd have to say that Obama is much much more sane than those wacky Neo cons.

USA, get the **** out of the world's business. Operate not as a terrorist nation, everywhere seeking to foment trouble. Stop trying to steal others wealth, play by the rules, the rules you always mouth, but never follow.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:33 am
@revelette2,
No it's not there are parallels, each is an example a military base in another country. In the case of Guantanamo Bay, it's not wanted by the locals.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Now it's really serious: Russian (state-run) tv Channel One says, it won't air the Oscars tonight because of events in Ukraine ...

One can think of it as an addendum to the Olympics. When all is done, in my opinion, Russia will get gold; Crimea will get silver; western Ukraine might get bronze, if that just doesn't go to east Ukraine? And, the EU gets more austerity in some member nations.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:35 am
@revelette2,
Monitors are military, they could tip it over the edge. I think journalists and social media are doing a good job keeping us informed.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Making Ukrainian the sole official language was deliberately provocative, and played into Putin's hands. It can be seen as a form of oppression.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:43 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
However, Russia does not have to have troops in Ukraine even if it is just in Crimea.
Actually, Russia has rented its bases from the Ukraine after they divided the Black Sea Fleet in 1991.
There are the Russian fleet headquarters and naval infantry brigade headquarters at Sevastopol, four coastal missile regiments in four different bases. Additionally, more than a dozen more bases including several air bases. Source: WaPo, March 1, 2014
Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:46 am
Does the point on who speaks which language correlate to which religion (Catholic or Eastern Orthodoxy) is the dominant regional religion? If so, then Russian speaking really relates to a religion/cultural loyalty, and the fact that there are so many Russians, in the Ukraine, might just mean that since WWII ended Russia did her homework in making the Ukraine Russified. The ending act for this "play" was written half a century ago. No surprise, in my opinion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:51 am
Slate has dug out some wikileak cables, e.g. from 2006 when Amb. Michael McFaul, warns of a possible Russian threat to Crimea – Ukraine’s “soft underbelly".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:55 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Does the point on who speaks which language correlate to which religion (Catholic or Eastern Orthodoxy) is the dominant regional religion?
Catholicism is a minority in Ukraine - less than 8% of the population.
The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is dominating in two eastern oblasts, the Ruthenian Catholic Church, and the Armenian Catholic Church are really small. (These latter three churches are Catholic but follow the Eastern Orthodox Rite.)
parados

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Lindsey Graham was an idiot this morning. Not much else to say about him. He argues that Obama is weak and then argues that Obama should unilaterally thrown Russia out of the G8 and the G20. Does he think Obama is dictator in control of those organizations? Doesn't he understand how democracy works?

Then he argued that Russia can't be allowed to invade other countries just to protect their citizens as that is a bad precedent to allow. I guess he forgot the main reason the US invaded Grenada in the 1980s when US troops were sent to protect US students there.
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If Russia has the right to have it's troops there, why is everyone acting as though it is an invasion of Ukraine?

If Russia is renting, rents can be cancelled can they not? If someone I was renting to was barricading me with arms right outside where I live it at, I can guarantee I would kick them out. Its an act of intimidation.
Advocate

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:12 am
@parados,
Graham is an idiot, as are most of the rest of the Reps in the South. It is kind of funny that the Tea Party wants to dump him because he is not conservative enough and, allegely, he is gay. He and McCain have a love affair and pretty much think alike.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:14 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
If someone I was renting to was barricading me with arms right outside where I live it at, I can guarantee I would kick them out. Its an act of intimidation.

Really, what if they were special forces, with a couple of tanks, heavy artillery, automatic weapons, and enough ammunition to take over a small African country?
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
Then I suppose I would call 911 and chips would really hit the fan then I guess. Horrible.

16.03 Earlier on today (10.37), Ukraine asked for assistance "to protect its nuclear assets".
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:49 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
If Russia has the right to have it's troops there, why is everyone acting as though it is an invasion of Ukraine?
Because those troops (even/though without national enblems) are 'acting' outside their rented bases.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:50 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

If Russia is renting, rents can be cancelled can they not? If someone I was renting to was barricading me with arms right outside where I live it at, I can guarantee I would kick them out. Its an act of intimidation.
I don't know the text of that 1991 treaty
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok, then, Russia should pull its troops, uniformed or not, back to its rented bases.

If it could be done, would you be in favor of international monitors to protect the Russian's Putin is worried about and then perhaps a deal or treaty between KYIV and Crimea to separate the two. Or is that a pie in the sky thought? I am aware Putin has veto power and Putin would probably not agree to anything, but is there a way to get around him/Russia to avoid any bloodshed? That is all I am talking about, I am not talking of sending troops or anything like that which could trigger a horrible cold war all over. I feel so over my head...but it is all kind of scary to think of all in the midst of this, nukes are involved. Apparently even Ukraine has nuclear power they are worried about protecting.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:59 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
16.03 Earlier on today (10.37), Ukraine asked for assistance "to protect its nuclear assets".

Quote:
Ukraine is heavily dependent on nuclear energy - it has 15 reactors generating about half of its electricity.
Ukraine receives most of its nuclear services and nuclear fuel from Russia.
In 2004 Ukraine commissioned two large new reactors. The government plans to maintain nuclear share in electricity production to 2030, which will involve substantial new build.
Source
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:59 am
@revelette2,
If you called 911 and the sheriff told you to **** off what would you do then?

What you're saying is what you think should happen, which seems to have very little basis in reality. The Ukrainians can't kick the Russians out, the Georgians tried asserting their territorial rights over Nagorno-Karabakh and look want happened. The Ukrainians would be very foolish to try following Georgia's example.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 12:01 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
...but it is all kind of scary to think of all in the midst of this, nukes are involved. Apparently even Ukraine has nuclear power they are worried about protecting.
It's about their nuclear power stations. How do you get that 'nukes' are involved????