Angel23

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 05:11 am
I bought a soda from sonic b4 work and showed up a bit early. I jokingly told a coworker, "this is my soda. Touch it you die."

She's like, "oh really?" But she didn't seem like she reacted too badly. And her tone was a normal, conversational tone. Still, I got the sinking feeling in me that I said something wrong. Will she start talking shyt to other ppl about me? If so, what happens? Maybe my supervisor would know the answer but b4 I bother her, I thought I'd post here.

Oh and butterfly net, plz don't use my real name. It would be appreciated.

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:31 pm
You worry too much about what other people think. Maybe you need counselling. You certainly need spelling lessons (What is 'shyt'?)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:42 pm
@Angel23,
There's a serious disconnect between this...
Angel23 wrote:

She's like, "oh really?" But she didn't seem like she reacted too badly. And her tone was a normal, conversational tone.

and this ...
Quote:
Still, I got the sinking feeling in me that I said something wrong.

Stop being so paranoid. Even if this is true:
Quote:
Will she start talking shyt to other ppl about me?

Give up on her. She'll never be your friend. She isn't worth the effort in stressing over how and what she does and thinks about you.

Quote:
If so, what happens? Maybe my supervisor would know the answer but b4 I bother her, I thought I'd post here.

It's a catch 22. You're damned if you do report her to the supervisor. What can the supervisor do? Tell her to be friends with you? This isn't elementary school but a workplace for adults. Most supervisors don't want to deal with this melodrama or wouldn't know what to do in the first place if they wanted to reduce that kind of melodrama at the workplace. You're damned if you don't tell the supervisor because you will forever be obsessing over this nonsense.

The best thing you can do is stop obsessing over the cattiness or perceived cattiness of your coworkers and eventually find a new job with new coworkers. Use what we taught you here regarding social skills and the workplace in that new place of work and start from scratch.

Very little can improve where you work now. Presently, obsessing over this nonsense and acting on it will only make your work environment and your life with those coworkers worse.
Angel23

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:47 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsarstepan, idk where the friendship thing comes from. First off, I get along with all my coworkers. Second, I'm not really looking to make friends. As for the disconnect, I never contradicted myself. I just wanna know how that particular coworker perceived my words. What if she tells on me bc she took it badly?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:53 am
Quote:
Angel said: I jokingly told a coworker, "this is my soda. Touch it you die"....I got the sinking feeling in me that I said something wrong

That's the sort of thing you can only say to your closest friends and family..Smile
A co-worker is not exactly a friend, so there's a 50-50 chance they could take it the wrong way and not like it.
Try to patch it over by buying them a soda every time you get one for yourself from now on..Smile
Angel23

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:00 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Thx. I have a BFF at work. That particular coworker in the soda incident is not it lol. I made a mistake. After over 2 years here, I still make mistakes. This is exhausting.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:36 am
I once started at a new job, and when me and a co-worker were stacking boxes in the warehouse he said "Phew this certainly makes us sweat doesn't it?", and I replied "It depends how fit you are".
He never said anything but i think he took it the wrong way and stopped talking to me after that because he thought i was implying I was fitter than him.
Obviously I should have simply said something like "Yeah, i'm sweating like a pig!"
roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 02:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You not only need to consider the worst possible interpretation, but make allowance for that what is well received now can come back to haunt you when alliances shift.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 08:06 pm
I'm in my 20s and have been with the company over 2 years now. I also like to have fun and think everything's funny, even stuff not that funny to most ppl. For instance, I told a coworker of me purpose peeing on the kitchen floor when I was 10 bc the only bathroom in the apt was occupied. I use slangs and swear from time to time but not always. I even pretended to hit on a guy manager just bc it's funny and I don't been like him like that.

I was reminded from time to time on the salesfloor to stop what I'm doing bc customers could see. People are starting not to like it but idk how to stop joking. Any ideas?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 08:16 pm
@Angel23,
Yes. Stop it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 08:19 pm
Maybe read back your older topics once in a while.
http://able2know.org/topic/168730-1

Maybe also learn a bit about what it's like to really need a job in order to pay bills or keep from being homeless, so that you take it a little more seriously and don't, essentially, do everything shy of getting fired. Because there are plenty of people who have enough common sense to not joke about gross stuff like peeing on a floor, or hitting on a manager (I take it that you have never heard of sexual harassment, unlike most other people in Western civilization), and who will do everything can in order to keep getting a steady paycheck.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:27 pm
Top 10 **** ups the past 6 months:

Jokingly Accused a female manager of hitting on a guy coworker
Announced to my work friend that I belch louder than I yell
Screwed around with a coworker on salesfloor
Told a coworker I flicked boogers on my cat (which I didn't btw)
Assigned everyone nicknames and called them accordingly
Told about the I need to pee text
Screwed around a month ago with 5 others
Sang and danced with someone on the floor
Yelled holy **** when I spilled something on the floor

Gosh I need to make a big commitment to stop joking around and being cool
chai2

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 10:30 pm
@Angel23,
None of this is really joking.

It just makes you really annoying to be around.

Instead of thinking of it as telling yourself not to joke, tell yourself not to be such an annoyance to others.
Angel23

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:16 am
@chai2,
Does that also make ppl look down on me outside of work? I have a suspicion it does.
chai2

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:29 am
@Angel23,
You should have more than a suspicion.

You need to keep your piehole shut more often. You drive people away.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:47 pm
Oh, so you're one of "those " people. Attention whore? Someone who has to say something or anything to make sure people remember you're there? Or are you just immature? Either way, what you're doing is inappropriate for the workplace. If you want people to like you at work, you need to be likable. It means knowing when certain things are and are not appropriate. After two years if you are still learning, you'll never learn. This is something that should have been figured out within the first month of this job.
contrex

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:45 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh, so you're one of "those " people.

I think she's autistic, or bipolar, or something. Or says she is.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 07:01 pm
@contrex,
Yes, I agree with that. She does have social problems that she has told us about before. She also had an earlier username, same types of stories. Anyway, her monitor is not quite the same as many other people's and she does try to figure things out.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 08:24 am
I guess I've not seen her other posts since I was gone forever. I was basing my assumptions on her posts here.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 06:12 pm
@Bella Dea,
I've yet to know the difference between my jokes and other ppl's jokes bc apparently theirs is more acceptable.
0 Replies