My bf's ex has moved in with him?

Macky

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 06:36 am
So, firstly, sorry if this gets too long!
I want to say my boyfriends family are great - he has a 3 brothers, 2 of who met there gfs at 14 and 16, respectively and there still together & a twin sister who's been with her boyfriend for a year now, there good people and they take relationships seriously. I really like them but I do feel a bit like the new girl I guess cause... I am!
My boyfriend (who's 18 btw) broke up with his ex a year ago, quite amicably until then he'd been with her since he was 15. From what I know her parents died when she was 13 and she lived with her gran and his family really kinda took her under there wing, so even after they broke up she stayed really close to him and the whole family, she spent a lot of time with them. I'd met her a few of times.

So then her nan passed away suddenly (which is tragic and I feel really bad for her) and she called my bf like as soon as it happened & he dropped everything and went round (which is fine, I don’t have a problem at all! He knew her gran really well, and of course he should go, he’s incredibly kind and that’s one of the things I love about him!)

His dad then told her to move in with them cause she's got nowhere else (which is again understandable but means that now she's the 90% of the time rather than occasionally like before).

Then there was the funeral, obviously I didn’t know her nan but I went with Dane. And she was giving a eulogy but she was really struggling to do it so my bf got up and hugged her and he did it instead and then got caught up standing with her doing the whole thanking people for coming as they came and went so I was just sitting with his brothers & sister and there partners.
I wish I hadn't gone, I felt like people assumed he was still with her and wondered who the hell I was!
He said driving home...
Him: sorry I couldn't spend more time with you today. We broke up on good terms, I still care about her and I knew her gran well and she dosent have anyone else, you get that yeah?
Me: (what could i say?) yeah totally I get that, it's fine.
Him: I knew you would
We drove for a bit
Him: you don't like her though do you? (he was grinning)
Me: I don't not like her...we're just very different
Him: your not half as different as you think you are! It's all front - underneath all the bull***** she's not as tough as she makes out, she just pushes everyone away before they really know her that's why she ends up with no one! But I promise you in like 3yrs time you'll get on great!

So then on top of all that Dane works at a boat yard but mountain biking his passion and she’s a photographer, she does work for magazines and she’s somehow got this assignment on something mountain-bikey and she’s got him doing the tricks and everything, which again how can I be annoyed about that cause it’s his dream to make a living on his bike and its really good exposure for him but its, I dunno, it’s her and his project, and he talks to me about it cause he’s really excited about it, I guess its just another thing they’ve got.

I mean I know I sound like im moaning, which I guess I am, but I can't stress enough that he's great! he's so sweet and honest and romantic and easy going and a little bit shy.
But I have to have breakfast with my bfr and his ex while shes all "daney can you bring me juice" blaze as you like yet when we're sitting on the sofa and he goes to hold my hand or put his arm round me I feel awkward!

Put simply he's my fairytale guy but just sometimes I get this nagging feeling that maybe it's their fairytale…
I just feel like I haven’t got any options I cant tell his family what to do, I cant tell him not to be nice to this girl when shes lost any family shes got, what kind of b*tch would that make me – but sometimes I just feel like a bit of a lemon!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 902 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 09:01 am
@Macky,
Go out with him, away from his home. Don't go over there (because the ex will be there).

It is a weird situation, to be sure.

Explain to Dane that you care about him and you trust him, and you even trust the ex, but it's still awkward and difficult. And that him telling you that the two of you will get along in three years is good news in that it implies you will be together that long, but bad news as it implies that it will take that long for you and the ex to get along. It further implies that she will be living at his home for that long.

Truth is, this girl needs to be thinking about her next move, and your boyfriend's father, while being rather generous, is also enabling things. At some point, the ex has got to go out on her own. She is not his daughter and is not his financial responsibility.

Does everybody just expect that she's going to live there forever, that your boyfriend's family will declare her as a dependent on their taxes, and pay for her college education and her wedding (particularly if she marries someone other than your boyfriend)?

For the ex, this is a great situation, as she is being supported and gets to be close to Dane. Does she want to get back with him? I wouldn't rule it out. After all, why the hell is she hanging around when you're with him? Anyone who doesn't have the agenda of a reconciliation will realize that they are a fifth wheel. Sure, this is her (temporary, I hope) home and she is entitled to sit down and have breakfast when she wishes, but she has got to have enough sense to know that she's intruding.

You don't have a lot of options as to what to say, without coming across as whiny or jealous. But I don't think there is anything wrong with asking how long she's going to stay there.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:08 am
@Macky,
Well, let's see....

Your boyfriend sounds like a genuinely nice person, who is loyal and supportive.

Your boyfriend's family sounds like they are genuinely nice people, who are loyal and supportive.

My advice is this: don't be the bad guy. There's a reason he and she broke up, and as long as it's better being with you than her then you're in good shape.

Talk to him about feeling like the outsider, and then don't be the outsider. Go be nice and loyal and supportive to his family, and in return you will get niceness and loyalty and support.
0 Replies

RayRaySparxx

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
@Macky,
Hmm, this is difficult. How long have you been going out with him?
He does sound like a genuinely nice guy, and this is probably why she's still so close to him, especially if she pushes people away like he says, so she wants to keep him close as she doesn't have many other people to talk to. I think you should vent to your friends, family (and people on answer forums!) but stay the good understanding girlfriend for now, like the other comment said, you don't want to be the bad guy. It's good he wants to be affectionate with you while she's there as he seems to want both you and her to know that you're his girlfriend now. What they have seems more like brother and sister or good friends. I trust his intentions but I don't know about hers. The important thing is to carry on being as you are, be interested in his interests but don't try to get in on them if they're not yours, be nice to her but don't be fake about it and insist on a girly shopping trip or something to try and suss her out, and definitely don't try and set her up with someone - all these behaviors are transparent and will paint you in a bad light if they don't work out.

Good luck!!
Macky

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 02:38 pm
@jespah,
Yeah I totally know what you mean about the 3 years thing, its great he sees us as a long term fixture, but not so great that he sees her as the same.
It is like they all seem to assume, this is it now, she lives with them..I think because his brothers girlfriend lives with them after her parents emigrated years ago, they're kind of treating this the same only she isn't Danes girlfriend, well not anymore anyway.

Yeah, I dunno her agenda, she was the one who ended it with him, supposedly she felt they got to serious to quick and wanted to cool it, Dane says if you love someone you don't do that so they just separated. But I dunno, normally I can read people but I cant read her. And if you look at it logically, she's got no family now so maybe being in a serious relationship wouldn't be the worst thing especially if she wanted to strengthen her link to his family...........but that's probably just me overthinking things!
0 Replies

Macky

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 02:51 pm
@RayRaySparxx,
I've being going out with him 5 months, he's a friends, friends, brother.

He is, I cant stress enough he's a got such a kind heart!
Definitely...I think that's what i'm going for at the moment, I don't want to ruin what we've got over her - just sometimes my mind runs away with me
0 Replies

BigBlackMan69

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:24 pm
@Macky,
Get over it.
0 Replies