Is this art or just plain creepy?

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:36 am
What would you think if you saw this?

http://c.o0bc.com/rf/image_590c400/Boston/2011-2020/2014/02/05/Boston.com/Regional/Advance/Images/2014-02-05T210224Z_31694724_GM1EA260DN501_RTRMADP_3_USA-WEATHER-16778.jpg

It is a work of art at Wellesley College. More than 100 students at Wellesley College, an all-womens school, have signed a petition asking officials to remove a near-lifelike statue of a man sleepwalking in his underwear.

The art piece, called Sleepwalker, was installed on Monday, February 3 at the Davis Museum as part of their New Gravity exhibition by Tony Matelli.

I personally don't have an issue with it -- however, having it outside like that could cause a problem. I think it would be better served somewhere that an accident wouldn't occur.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 4,171 • Replies: 83

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:41 am
"What would you think if you saw this?..."

I'd say that someone had stolen Region Philbis's Stag Night photos.
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:54 am
I don't think it's creepy, and I do think it's art.

The image of someone sleep walking in the snow is not just humorous, but surprising. The idea of someone so far in sleep he'd go into the snow in just his underwear makes me think about being conscious, or not, in a general way.

It looks like it's actually on the campus, so little chance there would be a car accident, especially since everyone would soon know it was there.

I'll admit that part of the reason I like it is from personal experience. When in college, a bunch of us were sitting around outside the dorms one night. Another male student we knew walked up to us and asked if we'd seen, let's say "Bill", his roommate, because Bill had a phone call. We said no, and the student walked off, looking for Bill.
A couple of minutes later, Bill walked out of his dorm building. We told him his roommate had been looking for him, and did he get his phone call.
Bill said "I've been in there all night, and (my roommate) was sleeping. He must be sleepwalking again!"
Bill hurried off to find the sleepwalker, who had made it all the way across campus, sound asleep but with eyes open and able to talk to others.

Another time, a female suitemate walked into the bedroom some of us were hanging out it, walked up to a bureau of drawers, opened it, turned, sat down and began to pee. When she stoped her and woke her, she thought she'd gone into the bathroom.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:57 am
I think it is okay to have the statue, but it should be moved indoors so that it may be viewed at one's discretion, not forced on people.
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@edgarblythe,
You don't think maybe the point of it is that it's outdoors edgar?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:00 pm
@chai2,
I don't care. They put zoo animals in cages. Why not something that many find distasteful?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:02 pm
@Linkat,
I think it's meant to be kitschy pop art. So yes. I think it's art.

You would think that the populace of a liberal arts college would be a little more tolerant of public art since it isn't a buxomy woman in her Victorian Secrets underwear.

I think public art should be challenging. This work of art is cheesy and kitschy. Mostly harmless and so not particularly challenging at all. How can a group of liberal arts students be so bloody prudish and lack even a modicum of a sense of humor?

BTW:
Quote:
More than 100 students at Wellesley College,

That appears to be less then 10% of the school's student population. That's not a very impressive or effective petition (according to wiki, it has 2400+ students).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellesley_College
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't care. They put zoo animals in cages. Why not something that many find distasteful?

Because one of the virtues of art is that it can be provocative.

Why not just put a statue of pretty life like flowers in it's place, unless of course we get complaints of people who have hay fever.

Looking over other pictures of the statue, actually it's quite small, obviously the size of a human, placed in a very large open area. Very easy to avoid looking at it.

I saw a comment that it triggers thoughts of sexual assault.

My thoughts are I would more likely to think of this in a sexual or violent way if it was placed indoors.
As it is, it's a representation of a person being at his most helpless.
He's near naked, asleep and out in the cold. If he were to wake up, he would be terrified, not trying to terrify or harm others.

The man is fast asleep, he's not trying, or thinking about assaulting anyone. He's not conscious of his surroundings, and he is in fact the one who is vulnerable and in danger.

I think it would lose it's impact, and just become an uninteresting object if it was indoors. The whole idea is that it's unexpected and out of context.

If I saw what is in the picture below, my first thought was "My God, I have to go help that guy!" and not "I'll bet he's wandering out here in the cold/snow just waiting to sexually assualt someone."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfrFiW2IYAA7l9G.jpg
Baldimo

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:24 pm
@Linkat,
If the Virgin Mary with elephant poop on it can art and Jesus in piss is art, then I guess this is as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:30 pm
@chai2,
I don't like to see people in public in such poses. No reason I need the same image pushed in my face, whether it is art or a simple prank.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:37 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I saw a comment that it triggers thoughts of sexual assault.

My thoughts are I would more likely to think of this in a sexual or violent way if it was placed indoors.
As it is, it's a representation of a person being at his most helpless.
He's near naked, asleep and out in the cold. If he were to wake up, he would be terrified, not trying to terrify or harm others.

The man is fast asleep, he's not trying, or thinking about assaulting anyone. He's not conscious of his surroundings, and he is in fact the one who is vulnerable and in danger.

I think it would lose it's impact, and just become an uninteresting object if it was indoors. The whole idea is that it's unexpected and out of context.

If I saw what is in the picture below, my first thought was "My God, I have to go help that guy!" and not "I'll bet he's wandering out here in the cold/snow just waiting to sexually assualt someone."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfrFiW2IYAA7l9G.jpg

I see this statue as the antithesis of anything that is sexual.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't like to see people in public in such poses. No reason I need the same image pushed in my face, whether it is art or a simple prank.

Then you probably shouldn't ever visit Times Square NYC because of its infamous (and erroneously named) Naked Cowboy ™....
http://newyorknatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Naked-Cowboy.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
the resemblance is uncanny, yes...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
the resemblance is uncanny, yes...

Utter nonsense! You're the Hugh Jackman to this statue's balding Steve Buscemi.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:55 pm
@chai2,
Pictures of this statue are right next to a roadway -- I can't tell if it is a roadway within the college only or next to a regular road. Wellesley College is on a main route through the center of town - I've been by it many a time.

But I have read and heard on the news the following: "At the college Tuesday, drivers could be seen slamming on their brakes as they approached or passed the statue, craning their necks for a second look." My first thought was jeepers these people are going to get in accident.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
You would think - some of the women are complaining that it will upset those who have been sexually abused or assaulted.

I think many of them are just upset because they were duped and the thing scared the pants off them (pun intended).
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I agree. It's not sexual at all.
I had said "My thoughts are I would more likely to think of this in a sexual or violent way if it was placed indoors." However, I don't think of this in a sexual OR violent way at all. If I were to change my mind for some reason, I think I it still would appear threatening unless it were inside....let's say placed in a dark hallway.

edgar, just my opinion, but this statue is hardly pushed in anyone's face. I find the statue tsar posted on the naked cowboy in the middle of Times Square personally offensive, because it's purpose is obviously to sexually titillate, and placed in a area much more likely to be seen, and cause an accident by people who don't drive that way often. The statue at the college is of an average looking joe.

You also said you don't like to see people posed this way. It's not a person. If it were a person he would be dead from exposure, and we'd all be saying how sad it is.

I think the fact that we are all talking about it makes the art successful, whether we like it, are offended, or think it's cheesy crap.

It's art and we are talking about it.

Here, does this make it more acceptable?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfwuYTGCUAAHA3s.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:11 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

You would think - some of the women are complaining that it will upset those who have been sexually abused or assaulted.

Yes, God forbid anyone ever say or do anything that may potentially upset someone else in any way.

That's why I opt this statue be replaced by a plaster of paris basket of kittens. Except that people who don't like cats may get upset. Or others will think they are being abused, like those poor bonsai kittens.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mLD6ok5AliLWeqEyN9U201Q.jpg
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:16 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
like those poor bonsai kittens

Ah -- my most famous post lives again!
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

But I have read and heard on the news the following: "At the college Tuesday, drivers could be seen slamming on their brakes as they approached or passed the statue, craning their necks for a second look." My first thought was jeepers these people are going to get in accident.

I would have to question if people were actually "Slamming on their brakes" or just ordinary braking to get a slower look. In fact, I'm sure the artist was pleased to have people slow down and "crane their necks" to look more closely.

We need to get rid off all those Christmas decorations on people houses, and especially in town squares. All those people slamming on their brakes and craning their necks to look at them is dangerous. Might as well get rid of billboards, those air dancer inflatables people put in front of their stores, and those inflated pink gorillas business use to announce grand openings.

"Holy crap Marge! There's a huge pink gorilla! I have no choice but to slam on the brakes, crane my neck and kill both of us!"

http://www.3dadvertising.net/assets/images/db_images/db_ROOFTOP_GORILLAS__4_1.jpg