Is this art or just plain creepy?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't like to see people in public in such poses. No reason I need the same image pushed in my face, whether it is art or a simple prank.

This is all I have to say about it. We wear clothing over underwear, because nobody wants to see the personal dirt, like skid marks and such.
roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I guess me and you will have to find a different way to work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
We wear clothing over underwear, because nobody wants to see the personal dirt, like skid marks and such.

did the statue have skid marks? Interesting way to make it even more realistic.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:46 pm
Ok edgar, fair enough.

I guess I assume someone's underwear is clean. My mom always told me to wear clean underwear. Smile
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Nobody wants to see a guy without clothes,

mmm

I think there are people who might disagree with you.

https://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/micheldavid/frontdet.jpg

more current art

http://naked-man-project.com/joomla/en/

it's an interesting topic

there is a six page discussion starting here

Quote:
Why had there never been an exhibition dedicated to the male nude until Nackte Männer at the Leopold Museum in Vienna last year? In order to answer this question, the exhibition sets out to compare works of different eras and techniques, around great themes that have shaped the image of the male body for over two centuries.

We must distinguish above all between nudity and the nude: a body simply without clothes, that causes embarrassment with its lack of modesty, is different from the radiant vision of a body restructured and idealised by the artist. Although this distinction can be qualified, it highlights the positive, uninhibited approach to the nude in western art since the Classical Period.

It's a good read.

Masculine / Masculine. The Nude Man in Art from 1800 to the Present Day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:51 pm
@Linkat,
and back to the original question - I think it's art

I'm another of the troupe that would probably want to check if the guy's ok, wandering around like that
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I think that's the mother in us, whether we have children or not.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
@chai2,
I was hoping it was being human. I'm pretty sure my dad would also check on the guy cuz he's good like that Very Happy

Not saying you're wrong - I think it comes from the nurturing side of a lot of people. Maybe more women would admit it? dunno
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I just noted that because 3 women here said it, no men.

Not to say men wouldn't also come to his rescue.

BTW, I googled images for "naked cowboy times square" and see that it's not a statue, it's a real person.

Now that to me is more disturbing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:30 pm
BVD could really have found a better manikin.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 09:48 pm
@roger,
can it be both?
There is a category for "Creepy ARt", which is art that creeps you out.
How about that guy who did the 20 ft pregnant woman or the giant headed baby.

How bout where theyre hanging this bigass locomotive over a crowd walking beneath?
Doesn't anybody ask
"I guess its arty but the thought of it crashing to the ground killing perhaps hundreds, scares the **** out of me"

NOW THATS ART !
roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 09:55 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah! I used to know this martial artist. All he ever did was draw pictures of soldiers - and he was darn proud of them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 08:36 am
@ehBeth,
Personally I can see the creepy aspect -- to me it would seem creepy because it is so lifelike.

I understand why they are placing it as they are -- but I'd worry more about the cars driving by and potential accidents (me being a potential one). I think it might be cool if it was wondering around in the woods or maybe right outside where they have the artwork -- almost like enticing them to come in and like he is escaping the art display.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:27 am
Creeeeepy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:00 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

or maybe right outside where they have the artwork -- almost like enticing them to come in and like he is escaping the art display.

That's where it is. Outside the museum as if it's wandering off from it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:21 am
@chai2,
who would have known I have an artist mind.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:03 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

What would you think if you saw this?

http://c.o0bc.com/rf/image_590c400/Boston/2011-2020/2014/02/05/Boston.com/Regional/Advance/Images/2014-02-05T210224Z_31694724_GM1EA260DN501_RTRMADP_3_USA-WEATHER-16778.jpg

It is a work of art at Wellesley College. More than 100 students at Wellesley College, an all-womens school, have signed a petition asking officials to remove a near-lifelike statue of a man sleepwalking in his underwear.

The art piece, called Sleepwalker, was installed on Monday, February 3 at the Davis Museum as part of their New Gravity exhibition by Tony Matelli.

I personally don't have an issue with it -- however, having it outside like that could cause a problem. I think it would be better served somewhere that an accident wouldn't occur.

I suppose you can call it "art," but it's lousy art.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:16 am
The current definition of "art" seems to be something fabricated to express something.

Thus a black line on a white piece of paper is "art."

A life-like figure in his underwear planted in the snow is "art."

A crucifix in a jar of urine is "art."

If morons will pay money or attention to these works of "art," good for the "artist," (even if he or she is an out and out con).

There is currently no point is asking the question "Is this art," unless it is something that has never felt the hand of a human, in which case the answer will always be "No." A sunrise, waterfall, leopard, flower, volcano etc are not works of "art." (putting aside any questions of God's hand)

The question should be is this "art" of any value, significance, meaning, or effect.

A Calvin & Hobbes cartoon is a work of "art" and virtually everyone of them is more clever and of more value than this statue.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 03:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The current definition of "art" seems to be something fabricated to express something.
When you look at the history of art (any library offers some good art history books), that had been always like this.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
did you see this?
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/doonan/2012/11/art_basel_why_i_m_not_going_hint_it_s_because_the_modern_art_world_is_the.html
0 Replies