Linkat wrote:

Quote:
like those poor bonsai kittens

Ah -- my most famous post lives again!

How could I ever forget my dear. Wink
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:28 pm
@chai2,
I added a picture to it -- just to see if I could get any new responses.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:32 pm
@chai2,
Viewed from this angle, it reminds me of a zombie. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:44 pm
We who don't want creepy art thrust in our faces must be the creepy ones. So be it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:44 pm
@wmwcjr,
Zombies are ALWAYS in vogue. ALWAYS! Cool
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think you're creepy at all. You're a gentleman and a nice guy. Smile
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:52 pm
Nobody wants to see a guy without clothes, that is why this is shocking, it is too close to being a flasher statue for comfort.

Had this been a chick in a skimpy bikini it would have been too loved to suit the artists intent though.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 01:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Some zombies become politically involved.

http://swordattheready.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/ron-paul-zombies.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 02:09 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Dammit, I thought we had buried those.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 02:14 pm
I like it. I think it's a mix of funny and sort of touching re the vulnerability of the sleepwalker.

Only piece of public art I remember seriously not liking wasn't for the piece itself, Richard Serra's Tilted Arc (big, corten steel) but where it was placed - in what I think is Federal Plaza in NYC, where people had to walk around it to get across the plaza. Many hated it at the time and it was supposed to be a permanent installation. (Gone) Otherwise I'm mixed about Serra, like a lot of his work, have read him as arrogant in interviews, but given the nature of his pieces - they take selfassuredness.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 02:19 pm
@jespah,

dag-nabbit, i thought we had buried .burned those...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 02:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Had this been a chick in a skimpy bikini it would have been too loved to suit the artists intent though.

Wow! You really really don't know anything about liberal politics or liberal arts students. If this was a chick in a skimpy bikini the petition from an all girl school, Wellesley College wouldn't be signed by only 100+ students but 2000+ students and 2/3rds of the college's professors and administrative staff.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 03:33 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

I don't think you're creepy at all. You're a gentleman and a nice guy. Smile

Yes agreed, edgar is a gentleman and nice guy.

I'm really curious as to why he thinks this is being thrust in his face.

Most days of the week I drive by the work of art below. At one time, when I was at the light in front of it, I'd look at it and wonder what it was. I never could exactly figure it out. When you're stopped, it's mere feet away from you. It, IMO is pretty creepy, and it is literally on a very heavily trafficed street, Congress Ave.
So, finding it creepy, vomity ugly and meaningless, I just don't look at it anymore.

To me it looks like an Aztc tarantula

BTW, when looking for this image, I found that it's named "Your Essential Magnificence" and the artist worked on it more than 2100 hours. Wowsers.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/e8bd/arts_feature3.jpg
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 03:37 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I added a picture to it -- just to see if I could get any new responses.

Yeah.
Now this is art.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/raincoaster/Jokes/73984f72.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 03:39 pm
@chai2,
now that is hideous and tacky.

No - I think they thing of the guy in skivvies is more that he is so lifelike. If I were driving by and show this guy out in the snow like that, I'd have thought he escaped from a (how do you say it correctly) - a home for the mentally challenged or a nursing home or something. Someone not quite in their right mind and needing help.

I'd probably pull over and try and to help the poor man.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember that I was wrong about only not liking one art work - I also didn't like art tacked onto a building in my neighborhood - it was on the corner of a mixed use building a block long by a well thought of architect, and I hated the damned clown... that all of us walking or driving had to see. So, I sort of get you, edgarB, while I like this particular sleepwalking guy.

Back when I was all exercised about the Serra piece, the talk was more about who own's public space? When it's on a campus, that's interesting to consider.
Probably the board of regents, or some such group.

Here's the clown that annoyed me every work day... tacked onto a private property:

http://keris.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451956869e20167677721d8970b-pi

I got they had the right to put it there. It just irritated me. (Meanwhile, I loved the binoculars down the street, by Oldenburg and spouse, name I forget, no time to look up)
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Now THAT is damn CREEPY!

what the h*ll is up with the legs?

Give me nightmares.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I'd probably pull over and try and to help the poor man.

Yeah, it's creating emotions in you because he's vulnerable and defenseless.

Others get the creepy vibe, but I'm trying to figure out why.

Is it because it's life like? Because it's showing some skin? Or underwear?

Is it because it's not a media friendly attractive person? Because it's someone that looks just like you or me?

Maybe all of that, and you're putting yourself in that position? Maybe none of that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:12 pm
Of course, the statue is not being thrust in my face. All I have to do is collapse posts it shows in. I am speaking for others who see it my way.
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Re my post before yours.
I'm really curious as to why you find it creepy.
0 Replies