Destroy My Belief System, Please!

Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 10:19 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
You ought really to stop saying that I am saying that I "know a lot" and "very little."

You did say that, though.

That is YOUR characterization of what I said...not what I said.

But that is what you do...pretend I said something...and then argue against the pretense.

No problem.

That way you can claim victories. Wink
Olivier5

Thu 8 May, 2014 10:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Whatever... No time for hide and seek today.
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 10:45 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Ding an Sich wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
So, Frank can know many things about the world around him, while not knowing ultimately the true nature of existence. This is how most people operate. And, honestly, it's fine. 

It's fine if that's what he says. But is it? I tried to nudge him this way, but he said that "ultimate" is redundant in the phrase "ultimate reality", and thus he knows very little if anything about REALITY...

He is NOT saying that in some topics he knows a lot, and in others he knows little... That would be ok (if banal).

If that's the case, then his position is... well.. crippling.

It is not the case at all, Ding...and I suspect Olivier knows that. Olivier is playing a game (not particularly well) in order to avoid having to explain his scorn for my "I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence."

In any case, the comments made earlier by JL...and extended by me...explain why the two statements he offered as contradictory...are not contradictory.

Not at all!

Since he paid so little attention earlier, he may have to do some work to catch up.

I am completely consistent in my remarks on this issue. It appears Olivier is not interested in that facet of the discussion...because he is (laughingly) trying to set up a position which he will eventually describe as having completely destroyed my argument...and then declare himself a winner of some kind. That is what he does.

If Olivier had a case at all...he would make it. He would point out what is contradictory about the comments...rather than just present them and then assert that they are contradictory on their face.

Hey...whatever floats your boat!

What's your position then? And no, I am not going to scour A2K looking for it.

My position, Ding, is that my comments

"I do not know much, if anything, about the ultimate REALITY"

…and

"With the qualifier I offered earlier I do know many things"

…are not in conflict.

The do not, as Olivier asserts, present a contradiction.

Fact is, I DO NOT KNOW MUCH, IF ANYTHING, ABOUT THE ULTIMATE REALITY.

I just don’t, Ding.

There may be a god; there may be no gods; the thing we call our universe may be an illusion; I may be the only thing that exists; even I may not exist as an independent thing; non-duality may prevail; duality may prevail; the thing we call the universe may ALWAYS have existed (despite Big Bang theory); the thing we call the universe may have come into existence from nothing; everything I think I know and have experienced may have come into existence just seconds ago as a kind of lark…and all sorts of other things about the ultimate REALITY of existence.

I just do not know much, if anything about any of that stuff. All I can do is make guesses, if I choose. (Most often, I do not choose to do so.)

But given the qualifier that I offered earlier… (found in my post at)

http://able2know.org/topic/232727-24#post-5651958

…I do know many things.

I know I am typing at my computer keyboard; I know the capital of France is Paris; I know the name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa; I know I attended Emerson Grammar School; I know my writings have been published in op ed size in the New York Times; I know I had a full-page MY TURN published in Newsweek Magazine; I know I have had op ed pieces published in newspapers in dozens of states; I know I once served Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican; I know I am a much better writer and reasoned than Olivier is willing to acknowledge…and "I know" a whole bunch of other things providing that qualifier is applied.

Olivier has often said that I have said that I know nothing (which I have never said)…and that I have contradicted myself by saying I know lots of things (which I have said…but only with that qualifier).

I hope that answers your question. If you have others, feel free to ask. I understand from what you have said that you are not crazy about my take on things...but I have no problem discussing any of this with you.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 10:47 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Whatever... No time for hide and seek today.

All things considered (most especially your comments about how boring and nonintellectual I am) I am delighted you are giving me as much time as your are. Wink
Olivier5

Thu 8 May, 2014 11:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sure Frank. What was your mysterious qualifier, finally?
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 11:27 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Thought you had no time for "hide and seek" today, Olivier.

Boy...you are an ocean of contradictions. Wink
Olivier5

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

That's why I am asking. No time to play your games anymore.
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

That's why I am asking. No time to play your games anymore.

Oh, my aching sides. Laughing

Do you know how much that reminds me of that other twerp coming here to tell me that he is ignoring me!

You are too good to be true, Olivier.

Anyway...read the post to Ding...follow the link...read the link...and see if you can figure it out on your own.

If you can't...we're gonna be here for a while.

But unlike you, I am happy about the conversation...I am entertained. So I will be here for you.
Olivier5

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Okay, you failed to present your case.

Dismissed!
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:38 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Okay, you failed to present your case.

Dismissed!

Oh no...not again.

How long before you come and tell me you are ignoring me???

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/humour-blague/clown-jonglerie/vil2_joker3.gif
Olivier5

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'll re-engage if you care to present a half-decent thesis. Until then, I can't debate an absent theory.
cicerone imposter

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:52 pm
@Olivier5,
We all know his thesis; deny what he said previously to get people to hop onto his merry-go-round.
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I'll re-engage if you care to present a half-decent thesis. Until then, I can't debate an absent theory.

Jeez...you are back already.

C'mon, Olivier...show a bit of self-respect.

You threatened to leave the discussion twice now...and you've given great reasons for doing so.

But you keep coming back so quickly...always in the same day.

Anyway...don't let the door hit ya!
Wink
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 01:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We all know his thesis; deny what he said previously to get people to hop onto his merry-go-round.

And here is the other guy ignoring me.

Does the fun never stop?
Wink
Olivier5

Thu 8 May, 2014 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
YOU are dismissed. I'm not going anywhere.
cicerone imposter

Thu 8 May, 2014 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Never, frankie boy. The guy who doesn't remember one post to the next. You're the one who provides everybody with humor.

You insult everybody that disagrees with you, then turn around and contradict yourself over and over and over and over.....

TNCFS
Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 02:21 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

YOU are dismissed. I'm not going anywhere.

You are still here...still addressing me. And after all the nasty things you had to say about me, my posts, my intelligence, my reason...

...and how I am not worth the bother and trouble.

And here you are...still addressing me.

I love it.

Deep hole! But don't stop digging.
Wink
cicerone imposter

Thu 8 May, 2014 02:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Of coarse you love it! You love merry-go-rounds; you operate it efficiently.

But if you ever bother to look in the mirror, it takes two to tangle - to continue dancing.

Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 02:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Never, frankie boy. The guy who doesn't remember one post to the next. You're the one who provides everybody with humor.

Still with me...completely discarding that silly "I have you on IGNORE" pretense completely, ci.

Alright!

Quote:
You insult everybody that disagrees with you, then turn around and contradict yourself over and over and over and over.....

You should never talk about insults, ci. You are one who insults in post after post. And with such charm and finesse.

Here are a couple from just the last two days:

"You're dumber than a fence post. At least a fence post has utility."

http://able2know.org/topic/172483-381#post-5658243

"In addition to not understanding US History, you're ignorant on most issues, and also a ******* liar."

http://able2know.org/topic/172483-380#post-5657273

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/humour-blague/clown-jonglerie/vil2_joker3.gif

Frank Apisa

Thu 8 May, 2014 02:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Of coarse you love it! You love merry-go-rounds; you operate it efficiently.

But if you ever bother to look in the mirror, it takes two to tangle - to continue dancing.

Of coarse!

Tangle!

And you dare to question other people's intelligence?