I just dislike arrogance.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
For my part, I unite my mind and heart with the pro-liberty philsosphy
of the Sons of Liberty in the Boston Tea Party of 1773,
and against both authoritarianism and collectivism.

If you want to be historically accurate, David, you have to acknowledge that those so-called 'Sons of Liberty' were essentially a gang of hoodlums and vandals, one step away from being outright terrorists. Their senseless sacking of the two ships bringing tea into Boston harbor (a similar incident was staged in Charleston, SC, btw) was a prime example of unwarranted misbehaviour on the part of some deluded 'patriots.' As a historical footnote, even with the taxes levied on tea brought to the Colonies, tea in North America at the time was still cheaper than what tea-drinkers were paying in London and elsewhere in England.

In a similar situation today, if I felt that government taxes on, say, tobacco were unreasonable, I'd simply give up smoking, not try and burn down the cigarette factory. Tea was a luxury, not a necessity of life; hence, there was no rational valid excuse for staging that idiotic 'Boston Tea Party.'
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:00 pm
coldjoint does this mean I'm not invited to your birthday party?
coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:06 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
No, it means you have as much concern for the future of this country as you do for anything that doesn't give you instant gratification. Which would be none.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:17 pm
well I sure don't care if you live or die sweetie, you're right on that one anyway. Wink
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:30 pm
Enough said. Carry on.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
For my part, I unite my mind and heart with the pro-liberty philsosphy
of the Sons of Liberty in the Boston Tea Party of 1773,
and against both authoritarianism and collectivism.

If you want to be historically accurate, David, you have to acknowledge that those so-called 'Sons of Liberty' were essentially a gang of hoodlums and vandals, one step away from being outright terrorists. Their senseless sacking of the two ships bringing tea into Boston harbor (a similar incident was staged in Charleston, SC, btw) was a prime example of unwarranted misbehaviour on the part of some deluded 'patriots.' As a historical footnote, even with the taxes levied on tea brought to the Colonies, tea in North America at the time was still cheaper than what tea-drinkers were paying in London and elsewhere in England.

In a similar situation today, if I felt that government taxes on, say, tobacco were unreasonable, I'd simply give up smoking, not try and burn down the cigarette factory. Tea was a luxury, not a necessity of life; hence, there was no rational valid excuse for staging that idiotic 'Boston Tea Party.'
It was rebellion against the tax.
I join in that spirit, which need not be confined
to what u deem to be necessities. No taxation
without representation!

David
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think you left out motivation. If you look at Islamic terror that is one of its purposes. They needed support and an attack was a way to get it. Some things never change and everybody owns it.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:32 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

I think you left out motivation. If you look at Islamic terror that is one of its purposes. They needed support and an attack was a way to get it. Some things never change and everybody owns it.

I'm gratified that you acknowledge that the attack on the Boston tea delivery ships was, in kind, no different from, say, the Muslim attack on the World Trade Center. A senseless bit of vandalism, based on self-serving and petulant motivation.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
no different from,

The difference was in the motives. The results the same.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:43 pm
@coldjoint,
You're contradicting yourself again.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
How so? I said I respect the would be Americans motives, Islams I do not.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:33 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

How so? I said I respect the would be Americans motives, Islams I do not.

Your respect or lack of it has nothing to do with the fact that the motivation of the Muslims and the 'patriots' is identical, as you yourself suggested -- getting the world's attention.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That doesn't change how I feel.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:58 pm
@coldjoint,
How you feel is of absolutely no importance to anyone but you. I thought we were discussing something more objective here, not a matter of one's personal subjective feelings.
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I thought we were discussing something more objective here, not a matter of one's personal subjective feelings.

---------------------------------------

Discussing things objectively is hardly your forte, Merry.

Remember,

MerryAndrew: **** fair. I have no intention of being fair. I do not intend to look at the other side.

Or words to that effect. Would you like me to get your actual quote so we can revel in how objective you can be?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:12 pm
there's no discussing with this one Lustig... that's why you just rile it for fun. Mr. Green
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:18 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
In that, Bear, Merry and Coldjoint are two peas in a pod.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:58 pm
Reading through this thread, after being away from A2K for awhile, made it very clear to me why I have been away.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where on this site there might be adult conversations?

Joe(any subject will do)Nation
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 08:16 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation: Anyone have any suggestions as to where on this site there might be adult conversations?

----------------------------------

Sure do, Joe.

http://able2know.org/topic/230273-1

But the likelihood of you showing up is about as good as 3 steel framed skyscrapers falling into their footprints in the same city, on the same day when not a one had ever done the same thing in all of history.
0 Replies