Left-wing America now stands alone

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 10:32 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

If only the conservatives in the US could embrace the medical system
that conservatives in Sweden and Norway are fine with.

http://www.nhh.no/en/about-nhh/living-in-norway/health-care.aspx
http://sweden.se/society/healthcare-in-sweden/
Explain what u mean??? Define your terms??
In America a conservative is a citizen who is orthodox
in his literal application of the US Constitution.

It seems un-likely that the Swedes are conserving the US Constitution.
WHAT the hell are thay conserving????
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 10:38 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

The Republicans must have been bananas to field Johnny McCain against Obama,
or against ANYone
He stunk. He 's not in his right mind. I voted for him
to oppose obama, but grudgingly. He won the primaries.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't care what you believe, your system doesn't go far enough. Nobody should be paying health insurance. I don't. My son went to see the doctor on Friday with tonsillitis. We were seen straight away blood tests were taken for possible glandular fever and he was prescribed a double dose of antibiotics.

Didn't cost me a penny.

Heh, funny. It costs you and everyone plenty, you just don't see as you are used to the taxation rates you pay to cover it. "Didn't cost me a penny", hehehehe....
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:28 pm
@izzythepush,
And the Europeans consider this a badge of honor.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:32 pm
@McGentrix,
Amen.

"Didn't cost me a penny!"

Of course izzy will never see the humor.

It probably doesn't cost izzy a penny even down the line. Once you are on the dole, it's everyone else's penny that pays.

And it will last forever.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:35 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

I don't care what you believe, your system doesn't go far enough. Nobody should be paying health insurance. I don't. My son went to see the doctor on Friday with tonsillitis. We were seen straight away blood tests were taken for possible glandular fever and he was prescribed a double dose of antibiotics.

Didn't cost me a penny.

Heh, funny. It costs you and everyone plenty,
you just don't see as you are used to the taxation rates you pay
to cover it. "Didn't cost me a penny", hehehehe....
He paid for it before he arrived at the doctor 's office.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:30 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
The Republicans must have been bananas to field Johnny McCain against Obama, he's a nice guy but 10 years too old to stand the rigours of being President. I honestly thought he might keel over during the live debates.

DemoKKKrats and independants voting in GOP primaries may have been the deciding factor in John the "Maverick(TM)" McCain running in 08.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:35 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Heh, funny. It costs you and everyone plenty, you just don't see as you are used to the taxation rates you pay to cover it. "Didn't cost me a penny", hehehehe....

He (izzythepoop) is really that stupid.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:47 am
@McGentrix,
It's paid for by progressive taxation which means the super rich and their lickspittles can't avoid their social responsibility, and nothing goes into the pockets of the insurance companies. Your health care system is the most expensive and unfair in the developed world.

You keep chuckling and hope you don't come down with something that your insurance company can wriggle out of paying.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
As opposed to killing the poor through neglect. Of course it's a badge of honour, only a fascist would think otherwise.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not on the dole Finn, but you stay in your own fiction. You've already admitted to drinking to escape reality so you obviously have problems with the truth.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:53 am
@gungasnake,
You cornered the market in stupid a long time ago Gunga. The Biblical flood really happened, there are cities on Mars, and Peruvians used to fly about on pterodactyls. That's stuff only a moron would believe.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:00 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Despite "telling it how it is," he still can't get elected to Westminster.

This is Farage being told how it really is.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:33 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's paid for by progressive taxation which means the super rich and their lickspittles can't avoid their social responsibility...

So now the super rich in England are happily paying Poop's medical expenses and, presumably, this is because they can't afford the legal expense of avoiding such a denouement....

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/clown.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:40 am
@gungasnake,
It's far better than giving the money to rich insurance companies, and adopting a fascist system of kill the poor. Don't expect your overlords to bother themselves with an ignorant lickspittle like you gets something seriously wrong with them. You've served your purpose, now you can die.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:48 am
@izzythepush,
Rich people don't give money to "rich insurance companies"....

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/clown.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
It's an argument that you've lost over here, and the only reason it's not been won over there is because of your right wing press spinning lies and distortions.

Quote:
Mr Cameron called the NHS was one of the 20th Century's greatest achievements.

"Tony Blair explained his priorities in three words: education, education, education," he told Tory activists in Bournemouth.

"I can do it in three letters: NHS." Mr Cameron, who has a severely disabled son, continued: "When your family relies on the NHS all of the time - day after day, night after night - you know how precious it is.

"So, for me, it is not just a question of saying the NHS is safe in my hands - of course it will be. My family is so often in the hands of the NHS, so I want them to be safe there."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5403798.stm
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:51 am
The country does need medical reform, but not Obungacare.

The size of obungacare indicates to me that it is about power and not about health care. Likewise Mark Steyn notes that the job of director or head of public health has become the biggest govt. job in European countries which have public health care i.e. it would be a step upwards from PM or President or King or Grand Duke or anything else to head of health care. In other words, European health care is ultimate bureaucracy.

If I had the power to I would institute a sort of a basic health care reform which would be overwhelmingly simple and which would resemble the thing we're reading about in no way, shape, or manner. Key points would be:

1. Elimination of lawsuits against doctors and other medical providers. There would be a general fund to compensate victims of malpractice for actual damage and a non-inbred system for weeding out those guilty of malpractice. The non-inbred system would be a tribunal composed not just of oher doctors, but of plumbers, electricians, engineers, and everybody else as well.

2. Elimination of the artificial exclusivity of the medical system. In other words our medical schools could easily produce two or three times the number of doctors they do with no noticeable drop off in quality.

3. Elimination of the factors which drive the cost of medicines towards unaffordability. That would include both lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies and government agencies which force costs into the billions to develop any new drug. There should be no suing a pharmaceutical for any drug which has passed FDA approval and somewhere between thalidamide and what we have now, there should be a happy medium.

4. Elimination of the outmoded WW-II notion of triage in favor of a system which took some rational account of who pays for the system and who doesn't. The horror stories I keep reading about the middle-class guy with an injured child having to fill out forms for three hours while an endless procession of illegal immigrants just walks in and are seen, would end, as would any possibility of that child waiting three hours for treatment while people were being seen for heroin overdoses or other lifestyle issues.

All of those things would fall under the heading of what TR called "trust busting". There would also be some system for caring the truly indigent, but the need and cost would be far less than at present.

By far the biggest item is that first one. I don't know the exact numbers but if you add every cost involved in our present out-of-control lawyering, it has to be a major fraction if not more than half of our medical costs. The trial lawyers' guild being one of the two major pillars of financial support for the democrat party is the basic reason nobody is saying anything about that part of the problem.

Other than that, you almost have to have seen some of the problems close up to have any sort of a feel for them.

Item 1, this is what I saw in grad school some time ago, although I do not have any reason to think much has changed. In the school I attended, there appeared to be sixty or seventy first year med students walking around and all but one or two of them would have made perfectly good doctors, they were all very bright and highly motivated. The only way the school should have lost any of those kids was either they discovered they couldn't deal with the sight of blood in real life or six months later they changed their minds and went off to Hollywood to become actors or actresses; the school should never have lost more than ten percent of them. But they knew from day one that they were keeping 35% of that class.

That system says that you know several things about the guy working on your body: You know he's a survivor, and that's highly unlikely to be from being better qualified than 65% of the other students; You know he hasn't had enough sleep (he's doing his work and the work of that missing 65%); You know he's probably doing some sort of drugs to deal with the lack of sleep... One of my first steps as "health Tsar" or whatever would be to tell the medical schools that henceforth if they ever drop more than15% of an incoming class, they'll lose their accreditation.

Item 2. My father walks into a pharmacy in Switzerland with a bottle of pills he normally pays $50 for in Fla. and asks the pharmacist if he can fill it. "Why certainly sir!", fills the bottle of pills and says "That will be $3.50." Seeing that my father was standing there in a state of shock, the man says "Gee, I'm sorry, Mr. V., you see, we have socialized medicine in Switzerland and if you were a Swiss citizen and paid into the systemn, why I could sell you this bottle of pills for $1.50 but, since you're foreign and do not pay into the system I have to charge you the full price, certainly you can appreciate that."

The guy thought my father was in shock because he was charging him too MUCH... Clearly whatever needs to be done with drugs amounts to trust busting, and not extracting more money from the American people.

Item 3. A caller to the Chris Plant show (D.C./WMAL) the other morning, an ER nurse, noted that much of the costs which her hospital had to absorb, as do most hospitals, was the problem of people with no resources using the ER as their first and only point of contact to the medical profession. She said that there were gang members who were constantly coming in for repairs from bullet holes and knife damage and drug problems, that they could not legally turn any of those people away, and that there was zero possibility of ever collecting any money from any of them, and that the costs of that were gigantic.

Clearly throwing money at that problems is not going to help anything either. Again if I'm the "Medicine Tsar", those guys would be cared for, but not at the ER or at least not the part of the ER where normal people go, and they would not be first in line. Mostly they'd be dealing with medical students who needed the practice patching up knife and bullet damage.

In other words, you'd only need to fix four or five kinds of abuses, and the only health insurance anybody would need in the U.S. would be catastrophic expense coverage for which you could set some sort of deductable at $3000 - $5000 or whatever. Medical care would simply cease to be any sort of an overwhelming national expense or problem.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's far better than giving the money to rich insurance companies, and adopting a fascist system of kill the poor. Don't expect your overlords to bother themselves with an ignorant lickspittle like you gets something seriously wrong with them. You've served your purpose, now you can die.

It must seem incredible for someone outside the United States to see people like Gunga actually support the kind of thing the Republicans are doing...but they are, Izzy.

For the record, it seems just as incredible to us that they do.

Gunga does not think...American conservatives on the extreme fringe (which is where he is) do not think. Reasonable American conservatives (not really all that easy to find these days) even consider the position of the extreme right in America to be repulsive.

Try to reason with Gunga is you want...but you'd have better luck teaching a cow to tango!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:57 am
@gungasnake,
No idiots like you do, that's why they're rich, and why you pay way over the odds for your healthcare.

Quote:
The U.S. leads the world in health care spending, but we don't live very long, and going to the doctor is so expensive that we don't do it very often. So where is the money going?

Not toward obesity-related diseases or unnecessary tests and treatments, as the writer John Green pointed out in a recent video explainer. From Lipitor to childbirth to colonoscopies -- everything just costs a whole lot.

As congressional Republicans continue to keep the federal government closed following misguided attempts to defund the most significant health care reform in decades, here are some illustrations of the wasteful spending.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/health-care-costs-_n_3998425.html
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-NL957_Number_E_20110411135955.jpg
0 Replies