How do you feel about congress cutting unemployment benefits?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 06:13 pm
@Foofie,
Why do you assume large corporations with thousands of employees can afford it?
Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 06:18 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
If there are no jobs to be had, and the worker has to support a family, what do you expect them to do?

Move to where the jobs are, and be willing to take any job you can get would be my answer.
Here in western Ky, the coal mines are always hiring, and the pay and benefits are excellent.
The trucking industry needs around 200,000 new drivers to keep up with demand.

The jobs are there, but many people refuse to do them. People say they want a job in the field the got their college degree in, and that's fine, but until you get that job you need to do whatever it takes to support your family.

So extend unemployment if you have to, but if you turn down a job you lose your benefits.
Some money coming in is better than no money coming in.

And, what if the jobs available were not coal miners or truck drivers, but Priest, Rabbis, and Ministers? In other words, Joe Citizen is no more likely to have an aptitude to safely mine coal, or efficiently drive a truck, than he could have an aptitude to be a Priest, Rabbi, or Minister. Your approach is ludicrous, in my opinion, especially in America. Even in an all out war (WWII), men had the right to choose their branch of the military, if they had the aptitude.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 06:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Why do you assume large corporations with thousands of employees can afford it?

Because they are at the top of the corporate food chain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 06:24 pm
@Kolyo,
Your temporary doesn't make since when jobs are scarce as they are now.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:37 pm
@Foofie,
Then why do they regularly go out of business?
Foofie

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Then why do they regularly go out of business?

Because all businesses have a life-cycle. The question is not relevant, in my opinion. It's like asking why lions die in the jungle, if they are the king of the jungle. The too have a life-cycle.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:43 pm
@Foofie,
Well, the notion that lions are "kings of the jungle" is equally foolish.
Foofie

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well, the notion that lions are "kings of the jungle" is equally foolish.

You might have meant "equally Foofish"?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:39 am
@Kolyo,

cicerone imposter wrote:

If there are no jobs to be had, and the worker has to support a family, what do you expect them to do?

As Mysteryman and others have pointed out repeatedly, there are JOBS to be had.

"The willing horse carries the load".
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:43 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

You cannot expect people to take jobs in which the worker is treated like crap.

What total BS, little man! Name any profession/or nonprofession that some worker, at some time or other is not treated like crap. Consider, our "friend"CI when he worked in that shoe factory. Wasn't he treated like crap?
Miller

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:46 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Foofie wrote:

He has referred to that firm as "a Jewish company," not a "Jewish owned company." Telling, in my opinion.

Very telling, indeed. So old CI is off for another vacation. Nothing like big bucks, and a a big ego Smile

Can Hawaii handle two such eminent visitors within such a short time - the President and his Lordship from San Francisco?

If Hawaii can handle all that stinking SPAM, it surely can handle a shoesalesman and the Lord of Chicago!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:58 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Advocate wrote:

You cannot expect people to take jobs in which the worker is treated like crap.

What total BS, little man! Name any profession/or nonprofession that some worker, at some time or other is not treated like crap. Consider, our "friend"CI when he worked in that shoe factory. Wasn't he treated like crap?

I withdraw my statement. BTW, CI was an accountant in the shoe business.

I should have mentioned that a potential truck driver has to go through training, which he or she cannot afford.

Interestingly, remind Boehner about working in his family's tavern and he will cry a river.

BTW, what is with the "little man" appellation? You are hardly a big pesence here or anywhere else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:18 pm
@Advocate,
I was never treated like crap on any of my jobs. Florsheim promoted me to Audit Manager after working as a field auditor for 3 and a halpf years.
After that, I always worked in management positions in addition to working as a consultant.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:49 pm
@Advocate,
FYI,
I can name at least a dozen trucking companies right now that will hire you and send you to school at their expense, and provide you with a job.
So your excuse about having to lay for school is total hogwash. It sounds like you just want to make an excuse for people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:28 pm
@mysteryman,
Mm, don't keep it a secret. Provide the name and address of the companyy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:24 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

FYI,
I can name at least a dozen trucking companies right now that will hire you and send you to school at their expense, and provide you with a job.
So your excuse about having to lay for school is total hogwash. It sounds like you just want to make an excuse for people.

On the contrary, one can make an argument that your position makes an "excuse" for a failing economy that has many people over educated for the jobs available. If your position is that one should do what is available, then you are also making an argument for people to go back to the country where their grandparents might have come from, since this country has turned out not to be the land of opportunity anymore. In my opinion, your position smacks of an unreal appraisal of human nature.

An argument can also be made to have another big war with a universal draft, since after WWII the returning G.I.'s got jobs when Rosie the Riveter returned home to raise children, and that "greatest generation" was often the last generation to retire at 65 with a gold watch and retirement luncheon.

Unemployment may just be one symptom of the U.S. becoming a second rate economic western power. If that is true, the problem is not solved by having people drive trucks, or mine coal.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:55 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Someone with a college degree thinks that those type of job are beneath them, because they consider them a waste of their education.

More likely, the employer considers them a waste of their education. Have you ever witnessed what happens when a college-educated person applies for a job like this? Chances are they'll immediately get turned down --- officially for being "overqualified", inofficially because they'll leave as soon as they find something better, and the employer doesn't want to deal with that.

mysteryman wrote:
It seems to me, and its the way I was raised, that when you need a job you take any job you can get.

Then perhaps the way you were raised put a few too many prejudices and not enough curiosity in your head. If you were more curious, you would notice that all the 'causes' you mention applied just as well six years ago. And instead of pulling a Dr. Phil on the nation's unemployed, you would wonder why unemployment wasn't an issue back then.
Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:02 am
@2tfx,
2tfx wrote:
How do you feel about congress cutting unemployment benefits?

Frustrated and annoyed. America's economy is sluggish because of a shortfall in aggregate demand. That means two things: (1)There aren't enough jobs for everyone; making the unemployed suffer more won't reduce unemployment, it will merely increase suffering. (2) Cutting unemployment benefits will decrease aggregate demand, and thereby hold back employment, even more.

This was a destructive and mean-spirited policy move.
Foofie

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 04:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

This was a destructive and mean-spirited policy move.

O.K., "mean spirted policy move," if one believes the U.S. is not a society balkanized by demographics that are alienated from each other. In Scandanavia (i.e., a homogeneous population) it would be quite mean-spritited. In the U.S., it is par for the course, in my opinion. Let's not forget that under President Clinton, if my decaying memory serves me correctly, there was welfare reform. Who would think that would come under his administration, unless of course politics might be a big masquerade ball, with people sharing the same mask, so to speak?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 05:27 pm
@Thomas,
Have you ever witnessed what happens when a college-educated person applies for a job like "this?"

My son's good friend actually has two degrees and he's the manager of an airport resteraunt. Apparently it didn't bother his employers that he was so well educated.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but it appears to match up with yours.

So MM's upbringing that led him to believe that working, at any job, is better than accepting a handout is because he is incurious?