19
   

How do you feel about congress cutting unemployment benefits?

 
 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 11:39 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Your suggestion is like, in my opinion, telling a Jew, in 1939 in some countries, that anti-Semitic acts would cease towards them, if they just converted. Your compassion is lovely; I hope no one in your family ever gets advice from you.


Really Foofie?

I have never thought of MysteryMan that way.

Maybe you could explain your metaphor a little better. The college educated people are the Jews and the truckers are Christians, right (because Mysterman is trying to convert them into truckers, right?), please do explain further..
Foofie
 
  0  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 12:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Your suggestion is like, in my opinion, telling a Jew, in 1939 in some countries, that anti-Semitic acts would cease towards them, if they just converted. Your compassion is lovely; I hope no one in your family ever gets advice from you.


Really Foofie?

I have never thought of MysteryMan that way.

Maybe you could explain your metaphor a little better. The college educated people are the Jews and the truckers are Christians, right (because Mysterman is trying to convert them into truckers, right?), please do explain further..


The "converted Jew" was just a metaphor for anyone being offered an unacceptable choice to resume employment.

I have met more than one college educated Gentile. So, your analysis of my metaphor was not my point.

Can I assume you have nary a friend that is Jewish?
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 12:08 pm
One could continue looking for a job in the field of their choice while holding down a job that pays your bills. Just because you don't "like" the job you have, doesn't mean you should just collect unemployment and sit on the couch waiting for the phone to ring with your dream job.
Advocate
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 12:10 pm
There are three unemployed for every job opening. It seems that some of the posters here want to just starve the unemployed to death.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/06/reminder-there-are-still-3-times-more-unemployed-workers-than-job-openings/276787/
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  0  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 12:19 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

One could continue looking for a job in the field of their choice while holding down a job that pays your bills. Just because you don't "like" the job you have, doesn't mean you should just collect unemployment and sit on the couch waiting for the phone to ring with your dream job.


I wonder how you discerned that people are sitting on the couch? They are more likely sending out resumes, and either getting no answers, or getting euphemistic rejections.

Gee, I would think they just want to be able to live, and to have enjoyed Christmas just like many an employed person did. But, the Grinch stole their Christmas when the Grinch pissed on the economy. So now some people, are content to blame the victim by claiming that there are jobs out there. Just become a chimney sweep until you can get the right job interview. Hey, the same thing happened when the auto put blacksmiths out of the horseshoeing business (read: sarcastic).
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 01:59 pm
@Foofie,
I'm not a Christian foofie.

You have this silly habit of assuming that most gentiles, and all conservatives are Christian.
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 02:53 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

One could continue looking for a job in the field of their choice while holding down a job that pays your bills. Just because you don't "like" the job you have, doesn't mean you should just collect unemployment and sit on the couch waiting for the phone to ring with your dream job.


I wonder how you discerned that people are sitting on the couch? They are more likely sending out resumes, and either getting no answers, or getting euphemistic rejections.

Gee, I would think they just want to be able to live, and to have enjoyed Christmas just like many an employed person did. But, the Grinch stole their Christmas when the Grinch pissed on the economy. So now some people, are content to blame the victim by claiming that there are jobs out there. Just become a chimney sweep until you can get the right job interview. Hey, the same thing happened when the auto put blacksmiths out of the horseshoeing business (read: sarcastic).


So, while they wait to hear responses back they are what? Standing around? Being drains on society because they do not want to take a menial job beneath their station?

So seem to be taking this personally so I'd have to presume that you've been laid off or out of work under some other circumstance. Are you telling me that there is not a single job available in your area? The unemployment office closed it's doors because there were simply no jobs to be had by anyone?

I say BS. I was laid off once. Completely blind sided. I had a new job in 2 weeks that lasted 2 years until I found the job I wanted. Meanwhile I fed and clothed my family by doing something I wasn't overly happy about. That's how it is. So, you can be a doer or a taker. Which are you?
edgarblythe
 
  0  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 03:09 pm
@mysteryman,
I would like to see a fifty five year old man, who has sat at a desk every day for thirty years and has only driven Fairlanes and Corollas around the neighborhood do the grind of cross country driving in a big rig.
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 03:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not a Christian foofie.

You have this silly habit of assuming that most gentiles, and all conservatives are Christian.


Your family was not Christian? Your not being a practicing Christian, or an atheist/agnostic does not negate my point. Christmas is a national h0liday, and most people celebrate it in some way, more or less. Jesus does not have to be part of the festivities.
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:18 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

So seem to be taking this personally so I'd have to presume that you've been laid off or out of work under some other circumstance. Are you telling me that there is not a single job available in your area? The unemployment office closed it's doors because there were simply no jobs to be had by anyone?

I say BS. I was laid off once. Completely blind sided. I had a new job in 2 weeks that lasted 2 years until I found the job I wanted. Meanwhile I fed and clothed my family by doing something I wasn't overly happy about. That's how it is. So, you can be a doer or a taker. Which are you?


You are assuming that because I commiserate with the long term unemployed it must be my personal story too. Thanks for the vote of confidence of my being a self-absorbed prick. However, I am not sure the continued high unemployment might not be by design. I say this for two reasons:

1) The U.S. military benefits, since without the universal draft, the Air Force and Navy do not get the same number and quality of recruits (avoiding the draft) to ingratiate some into a twenty year career.

2) During the 1929 Depression, and high unemployment, the government came along with the WPA. However, that would compete with corporate America for employees.

In effect, for the benefit of maintaining a high tech career military, and not competing with corporate America for good employees, the government might be engaging in a policy of benign neglect, in my opinion. Notice that the WPA did not make coal miners out of those who were unemployed writers. The WPA published writing that reflected unemployed writers' efforts.

You also make the assumption that if someone is not finding work, to end their unemployment, he/she is not looking for work. Naturally, people have to survive, and perhaps some unemployed are in retraining programs at community colleges, and just living off relatives. So, that might be what will be increased, if the unemployment benefits are not extended - more relatives supporting those in retraining efforts.

I find it interesting that the anti-unemployment benefit opinions seem to envision unemployed folks fat catting on a couch, enjoying the slothfulness of each day unemployed, and on unemployment benefits. You guys might have a low opinion of the average American, in my opinion.

What you left out of your ways to cope with unemployment was to join one of the military branches, if one was young enough. Now that is a viable option; perhaps, even nicer than coal mining or truck driving, since one is at least doing something beyond the benefit for oneself, and possibly interacting with a segment of society that one might have a lot in common as a military careerist? Interesting that it wasn't an option.
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  3  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:31 pm
My personal take is that while I really don't love the government giving away money in general, the benefits to the economy, the tax payers and the unemployed far outweigh my personal issue with giving money away. I see the purpose of government to combine the resources of all the people to implement policies that positively impact the whole. Unemployment benefits clearly and dramatically benefit the whole. They keep people off of welfare preventing a drain on other tax payer supported programs, allow them to stay in their homes preventing things like foreclosures and homelessness that negatively impact businesses and communities, they pump money into the economy in a very effective manner since the money is quickly spent, they reduce the incentive for crime, prevent children from going homeless and help those searching for jobs to stay employable. (Getting a job from a homeless shelter or without a working phone number is a lot harder for someone than if they have a basic support structure.) I see unemployment benefits as a huge win for the taxpayers as well as the recipients so as a tax payer, I support continued benefits.
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:51 pm
@engineer,
You just might be too intelligent for this forum, based on your post.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:41 pm
@Foofie,
There are time limits on unemployment benefits, and those getting UI must continue to seek work. Otherwise, they don't qualify.

As osso said, helping Americans when times are hard - as they are now is much more important then feeding the war machine that cost this country countless billions every month. When they work, they all pay taxes - and unemployment insurance. Not many people refuse to work when they have to feed a family.

For our government to stop unemployment insurance only proves many play politics for their own interest rather than for the American people's health and good being.

I would really love to see a 100% turnover in our government within the next election cycle. The government we now have is broken.
RABEL222
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 11:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am going to do my part in the turnover senerio.
0 Replies
 
IRFRANK
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:23 am
Boy, there are a lot of emotional comments here. Citizens sucking on the govt teat, etc. I was unemployed for two years starting in 2008. Got benefits for about 9 months. Ended up working at Best Buy selling computers. One of the more demanding jobs I've had. I don't like retail. I'm a systems analyst. Finally found a job in that field. Paid several times what Best Buy did. Remember unemployment is like insurance. Employers pay into the fund. I worked 35 years and my employers paid into it all that time. I didn't feel bad about taking the meager benefits. I also got to hang out with the people in the unemployment line. All of them wanted a job. In my view the problem is training. There is some training available, but not enough. There will always be people at the lower end of the workforce. Sometimes it's their fault, sometimes not.

If you think it's all a bunch of lazy people that won't work, you haven't been there.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:37 am
@IRFRANK,
Good post; those are the facts. Employers pay into UI for their employees, and that's what pays for the benefits. It's not freeloading off the government like most people think. Good workers get laid off not of their making; all management are not created equal or are good at saving companies. Even Hewlett Packard, one of the old high tech companies are laying off thousands of workers because demand for their products have dropped. Those workers will need to use their unemployment insurance to survive; pay for their rent and food. Absolutely NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!
0 Replies
 
Jack of Hearts
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 11:02 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Recall, if you take the time, that at least one (1) economist recently won the nobel prize Question for demonstrating the relation between length of time spent receiving employment compensation and duration of unemployment. He/she demonstrated that the longer an individual received unemployment compensation, the longer that individual would remain unemployment.


Your implication that it's long term benefits that have people remaining unemployed longer is a logical fallacy. Extended benefits are put in place, AFTER unemployment becomes more extensive. The higher the unemployment rate, the longer it takes an average person to reenter the work force.
For many positions, a younger, (healthier), person, who is more willing to be underpaid, and just entering the workforce, also which won't receive any special company benefits, will be hired long before older more expensive, (experienced), workers, thus they will face longer periods of unemployment.

By what logic or reason do some people think that, when a man loses his job and takes a large cut in income - now living with a diminished quality of life - that he is suddenly lazy and slothful, and becomes happier and satisfied in being poorer?







cicerone imposter
 
  0  
Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 11:33 am
@Jack of Hearts,
They've been brainwashed by the conservative party. They don't want to pay taxes for anything - including schools for our children. TNCFS
0 Replies
 
Advocate
 
  3  
Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 11:58 am
I have an idea. Perhaps the government should require those getting an extension of benefits to put in one-day of community service each week they are getting benefits.
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 12:28 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

By what logic or reason do some people think that, when a man loses his job and takes a large cut in income - now living with a diminished quality of life - that he is suddenly lazy and slothful, and becomes happier and satisfied in being poorer?



Elegantly disproved the "fat cat" theory, as to why extended unemployment benefits should not be approved, in my opinion. You have the not frequently seen ability to see the forest for the trees (aka, think for oneself, rather than the popular promulgated notions in society), in my opinion.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/04/2020 at 06:07:54