A penitent troll apologises for mocking atheism. On show here!

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 07:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Preaching to anyone in particular?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:12 pm
When some sad sorrow god forsaken mediocre asses go on claiming with a serious face that contradictions like there are no absolute truths is itself an absolute truth don't apply they ought to really stop a moment and think, really think, on what they are really saying, because they are freaking opening an all bets have a go Pandora's box !
In my book as in any sane persons book what they are really conveying is that there is no constant value in anything at all starting with the very authoritative assertion they do against authority, go figure the immeasurable degree of stupidity in there, when they say that there are no absolute truths...you see people, if there aren't, then that itself is open to change. And there is nothing worth debating from this point on forward.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:14 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes RL, I am preaching to the one in particular that is smart enough to know how stupid he is, so don't worry...
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thank you for confirming how smart I am.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:47 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Good. Wondering is a first step to understanding that absurdity and correctness lie in the eye of the beholder.

Yup.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:47 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks for that reference. My statistical knowledge is by now a little rusty but on scanning it I take it to be another example of the misapplication of a mathematical model to life.
(Like "the eggs question" for kids...."If it takes 3 minutes to boil an egg, how long for 2 eggs....answer 3 minutes not 6 because you boil them together. Here our conditioning about the symbol "+" is exposed, raising a philosophical hornets nest regarding the ontological status of mathematical entities and representation in general)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:11 am
@reasoning logic,
I don't know of a specific video on aporia, but since this term is an aspect of deconstruction you might find this one useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8BsnfjtNCg
(BTW I understand aporia to be a realization that all argument about what is the case, necessarily entails what is not the case. In logical terms, a set cannot be divorced from its complement. It is the speaker who attempts to "privilege" one side over the other. E.g Idealists privilege "the mental" over "the physical". Yet in essence neither has meaning without the other.)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 04:17 am
@ehBeth,
Further reading of that reference highlights the importance of temporal sequencing of which static traditional logic takes no account.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 04:40 am
@reasoning logic,
Don't worry RL. Fil can't operate without "absolutes". He tends to ignore Godel's implication that axioms are at best temporary devices which work in particular contexts. Debate for him is futile so he resorts to his preferred ultimate worldview which might be called "objective informatics"...an oxymoron if ever there was one ! Smile For me, debate is about "what works" (pragmatism) as opposed to what "is" (realism).
igm

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 09:24 am
@mikeymojo,
If you don't understand my answer then... that is a problem you have... understanding the answer.

Your comments answered:
A. I did... any words written were intended as an answer, which you can accept as such or not.
B. Correct.
C. You'll have to convince me... on the face of it your comment is just designed to be an attempt at an insult because you IMO have misunderstood my last post.
D. No, the math points to it...
E. See D. above. When one wants to weaken one side of a dualistic argument then one emphasizes its opposite but that doesn't mean the opposite position is true. It is used to show that e.g. the notion that anything is not the center of the universe can be shown to be incorrect but it doesn't show that the notion that anything is the center of the universe is correct.

That's the problem... if you think... 'if it's not one thing then it must be the other'... no it doesn't.

If you have another question that I can answer, that you will understand (because you plainly didn't understand my last answer) then ask.. or not...

mikeymojo

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 07:10 pm
@igm,
Only one igm. In your mind, am i a real alive person? We have never met face to face nor have we ever spoken to each other. This forum is the only place we've ever met, through typed words we both understand. So, do I, as a person, exist, or are you, and everyone else on this forum, being duped by your computers and posting as me? (And this time don't use 'the math points to it' answer)
igm

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 02:31 pm
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:

Only one igm. In your mind, am i a real alive person?

There is enough for a whole thesis... in almost every word in your sentence e.g.

Do I have a mind? Is there a self? If there is, then is the mind owned or controlled by a self? How do you define the term, 'real'? Are you real and is anything real? What is a, 'person'? What is the definition of the term, 'life'? If there is such a thing as a person is that person alive? Does birth, life and death really have meaning or are they illusory?

Also, do we understand one another through typed words or is it possible we misunderstand? Does it matter whether you exist and does it matter if I am being duped by my computer?

I don't know if I'm being duped and it would only matter if there was some beneficial or detrimental consequence to not knowing... I can't see one... the only thing IMO that is important is how to remove the root cause of suffering everything else either supports this quest or it doesn't, if it doesn't then it pretty much a waste of time... or so it seems to me.

mikeymojo

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 09:29 pm
@igm,
Again, quit overlooking what is OBVIOUS. I am the one arguing with you, and we BOTH know that. How? Because no computer program exists, to our knowledge, that could possibly be posing as a human being on such a subject. We both can agree to this.

All of the oher members on this forum (you included!) are also human beings who communicate on a forum that is obviously real. How? Because we are each other's evidence. And the evidence will always connect because we all understand what evidence means. Whether you want to believe it or not, you exist to me and everyone else on this forum, igm. That is an absolute truth, even if you wish it weren't.

We both obviously have minds that are capable of understanding each other. How so? Because we've been able to hold a conversation that has been going on for days. We both understand the premise and means of what we are 'saying' and neither of us has posted any unreadable gibberish.

Just because you think there is more than what is, does not change whatever what is happens to be. Existence of a universe that is proven to be real by observers such as ourselves, through our own physical existence, shows that absolute truths (like your existence igm) do exist and can be discovered. It just takes some time to fully grasp what we learn.

And again, you didn't answer my question. According to you there can't be an answer that is 'if it's not one, it must be another'. So do I exist and am I posting this or not? I'll give you a clue. I don't think you suffer from solipsism.

fresco

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:48 am
@mikeymojo,
What you call OBVIOUS needs careful analysis.

You don't need a view of "reality" which is objective or absolute. The necessary requirement is simply "agreement". We use words like "I" and "you" as loose indicators of communicator and correspondent but consideration of those entities indicate they are constantly changing and influencing each other (like the states of the board in a board game). The you or I of yesterday is never equivalent to the you or I of today, except in broad social terms like "social responsibility". As one writer put it, the major thing that holds us together is our name which indicates relationships with others. Even the body is constantly changing, and people change their names in different social situations (like here)

In short contrary to lay thinking, "reality" is actually a term used when we negotiate agreement(....was the accused in his right mind on that day.....was that a rock or a boulder.....etc) and the hopeful conclusion is agreement about what works.. It is in this sense that I argue that "the reality of God" is what works for a community of believers who constantly reinforce each others states of belief by the use of the language of belief. An atheist is one who may see this for what it is. An agnostic is one who doesn't understand the social nature of the term "reality" and wants to hold open his position in a futile search for so-called "objective evidence".

And from this it should also follow, contrary to the lay view, that "existence" is never absolute. It is always relative.

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 02:42 am
@fresco,
Oh man, you crack me up. "Lay thinking," as opposed to the dicta of the priesthood of the Church of the Holy Philosophical Irrelevancies.
fresco

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:00 am
@Setanta,
We all do a lot of "cracking up"(he he). Next time you catch yourself having a conversation with yourself you might be tempted to to re-examine the question of relevance.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:52 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

What you call OBVIOUS needs careful analysis.

You don't need a view of "reality" which is objective or absolute. The necessary requirement is simply "agreement". We use words like "I" and "you" as loose indicators of communicator and correspondent but consideration of those entities indicate they are constantly changing and influencing each other (like the states of the board in a board game). The you or I of yesterday is never equivalent to the you or I of today, except in broad social terms like "social responsibility". As one writer put it, the major thing that holds us together is our name which indicates relationships with others. Even the body is constantly changing, and people change their names in different social situations (like here)

In short contrary to lay thinking, "reality" is actually a term used when we negotiate agreement(....was the accused in his right mind on that day.....was that a rock or a boulder.....etc) and the hopeful conclusion is agreement about what works.. It is in this sense that I argue that "the reality of God" is what works for a community of believers who constantly reinforce each others states of belief by the use of the language of belief. An atheist is one who may see this for what it is. An agnostic is one who doesn't understand the social nature of the term "reality" and wants to hold open his position in a futile search for so-called "objective evidence".

And from this it should also follow, contrary to the lay view, that "existence" is never absolute. It is always relative.

If you could just control that ego (that supposedly does not exist)...and present some of this stuff as "one possible depiction of REALITY"...you might start making some sense.

Short of that...anyone depicting your posts as "...the dicta of the priesthood of the Church of the Holy Philosophical Irrelevancies" is right on the button.

Funny thing is, Fresco...the "naive realists" may be spot on...and you may be missing the mark by light years. Philosophers of another age may treat your non-duality rationalizations the way modern astronomers treat Ptolemy's astronomical models.

But of course you will probably find solace in asserting that because it is so for you right now...IT ACTUALLY IS SO.

Really, Fresco...you have got to think this out more carefully.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:36 am
@fresco,
A conversation with myself would be more enlightening than a conversation with you, given your penchant for puking up the same old, same old constantly. Sadly, you have decided to converse with me now, so i don't yet have the solitary pleasure.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:54 am
With apologies to Marx:
Meditators of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your "selves".

Those who doubt this might like to consider the implications of the phrase "being born again".

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:11 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Don't worry RL. Fil can't operate without "absolutes". He tends to ignore Godel's implication that axioms are at best temporary devices which work in particular contexts. Debate for him is futile so he resorts to his preferred ultimate worldview which might be called "objective informatics"...an oxymoron if ever there was one ! Smile For me, debate is about "what works" (pragmatism) as opposed to what "is" (realism).

You continually seam incapable to grasp that "what works" as opposed to what "is" can only work if IT IS working (operating in peoples minds as a "holder", that is, something MUST hold !)...a five year old could see the contradiction !
Your line of thought it is not much different from the Carny fellow trolling the forums...that shitty talk that "nothing is and all is appearance", as if appearance itself wasn't anything...the problem with you Fresco is that you want to re invent a new language but can't escape the actual meaning of words...without "is-ness" there is no criticism you CAN actually do on any subject as criticism itself requires pointing to something and more importantly BE something !
(your arguments core doesn't take more then 5 minutes to be de-constructed) Laughing

...by the way the view is not mine although I share it...you ought to stay in tune with latest science paradigms before you throw up these little pearls of wisdom of yours...