Do you beleive in god?

binnyboy

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:19 pm
Quote:
...ASSURE anyone that NO ONE CAN BE SURE OF ANYTHING...

I think this is a very important statement that should not be dismissed so trivially. I hold a very important place for this in my thoughts. It may very well be that a variation of this statement is the lie upon which all truths are based.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:21 pm
Once again, Frank apisa stinks up the place with his woefully un-self aware hubris.

Quote:
Nowhere have I ever even intimated that I am the only one who can accurately state the agnostic positon...so the sarcasm is inappropriate

Not only have you "even intimated" it, - several people C & P 'ed definitions of agnosticism from reference books which you went immediately about dismantling, in favor of your better, more nuanced, more profound definition. I remember it - it won't suprise me if you don't though - it directly contradicts your latest attempt at appearing open-minded.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:29 am
Quote:
snood wrote:
Once again, Frank apisa stinks up the place with his woefully un-self aware hubris.

Quote:
Nowhere have I ever even intimated that I am the only one who can accurately state the agnostic positon...so the sarcasm is inappropriate

Not only have you "even intimated" it, - several people C & P 'ed definitions of agnosticism from reference books which you went immediately about dismantling, in favor of your better, more nuanced, more profound definition. I remember it - it won't suprise me if you don't though - it directly contradicts your latest attempt at appearing open-minded.

Once again, Snood, allows his hot-headedness to interfere with what little thinking he brings to his comments.

Snood made a statement...I countered that statement...and now poor Snood is in a huff.

If I have ever said that I am the only person who can state the agnostic position...and you know where I said it...quote it, Snood...or shut the hell up, because you are boring with your silliness.

I have tried, in almost ever post where I am dealing with my agnosticism, to let everyone know that I am describing MY AGNOSTICISM. Atheists do that all the time; theists do that all the time....and I sure as hell have the right to do it also.

Occasionally, I make comments that I think are general to agnostics...but nowhere have I ever said this is the ONLY POSSIBLE TAKE ON THE MATTER.

In short...I have never said I am the only one who can accurately state the agnostic position...I have never intimated that I am the only one who can accurately state the agnostic position. I may have intimated that I am the only one who can accurately state MY AGNOSTIC POSITION...but that is a given.

I understand that most of your arguments are pitiful, Snood...so I also understand why you want to misrepresent what people say and argue against that misrepresentation. What the hell...at least in yourself, you have found someone dumb enough so that you might prevail in an argument or two. No offense taken.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:02 pm
Is god or nature responsible for the earthquake/tsunami in Asia? http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/28/international/asia/28CND_quake.html?ex=1261976400&en=1665afbd00a9666f&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
What do most people pray for? Is it 'selfish' or 'generous' 100 percent of the time?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:31 pm
Well, one perspective on prayer:
In the 12 steps (in recovery groups - originated by the founders of AA), the 11th step states "...praying only for knowledge of his will, and for the power to carry it out." So, for some this is the "right" way... only asking for direction and strength. Another thing stressed in AA about prayer is trying to leave aside selfish, self-seeking, self-centered motivations.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:08 pm
Is nature the result of god? Does god control natural disasters on this planet?
0 Replies

TheWorldIsFlat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:28 pm
Re: Do you beleive in god?
stand up for pessimism wrote:
If it's ok, i'd like to run an anonymous poll, no answers required.

no!
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:34 pm
Some kind of God?
Some kind God?
Kind of Some God?
God of some kind?

Hmmm.....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:47 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
Some kind of God?
Some kind God?
Kind of Some God?
God of some kind?

Hmmm.....

Hmmmm, indeed!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:52 pm
You talking the christian god, the egyptian god, the greek god, the Jewish god, the sun god, the moon god, the animal gods, the tree gods, the river gods, the lake gods, or that god nobody can prove exists?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:57 pm
Yep!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:57 pm
Seemed like a fairly clear question to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
Ahem, stand up for pessimism started this thread. She can make her poll as anonymous - re people responding with further explanation, as she wants, it's her call.
0 Replies