5 Dollars will do it - even 1 Dollar will !

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:58 pm
Quote:
Germlat asked: @RF- Really? Even administrative law cases?

What, the right of every British citizen to dispense with lawyers and defend himself? Yes correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I heard.
Also, I think the Brit state is obliged to provide a lawyer free of charge to anybody who can't afford one (if he wants one).
Of course, criminal cases might have different rules to civil cases, for example if you're simply trying to sue somebody the state might not provide a free lawyer.
(I've been hauled up court 7 times as a defendant in the past so I've gained a good insight as to how the Brit legal system works)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:13 pm
@Germlat,
Yes. According to the Article 47 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, legal aid will be made available to those who lack sufficient resources, in so far as such aid is necessary to ensure effective access to justice.
So you get e.g. in Germany in civil cases including employment, administrative, constitutional and social cases.
In criminal cases you get a public defender.
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:29 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
In industrialized countries it's not unusual to be provided legal representation in criminal trials..now administrative law is a different story..although an unfair trial can ruin a person's life. I'm still looking but can't find a definitive answer.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Administrative and civil law differs in the U.S. Glad to hear people who don't have the resources have a fighting chance somewhere .
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:36 pm
I also think anybody in Britain is allowed to get a friend or acquaintance or family member to defend him in court..Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:46 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:
Administrative and civil law differs in the U.S.
Indeed here as well - thus we have administrative courts. (The Federal Administrative Court (Bundesverwaltungsgericht) is the highest administrative law court.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:35 pm
@JPB,
I wonder if she might delicately inquire of that website if they are intending to send her a form 1099. I can't see why they would, but you never know how someone is going to interpret the requirements.
roger

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for the confirmation, Walter. I would bet the same impression is shared by everyone present.

<I didn't get to drive no Porsche Crying or Very sad>
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:53 pm
@roger,
<I got promoted: truck, RV, 911>
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:57 pm
@roger,
doubtful. It's donations/gifts from individuals. Even if it counts as income her goal is well under the income limits. I was just pointing out the max allowed for liquid assets (checking and savings combined) is $2000 at any one time.
jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:36 pm
@JPB,
I hope Melissa and Bean have a very Merry Christmas. Best wishes!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:22 pm
@roger,
From the gofundme.com website FAQ section:

http://www.gofundme.com/how-to-fundraise/

What about taxes and stuff?

Unfortunately, we're unable to provide specific tax advice since everyone's situation is different. While this is no means a guarantee, most donations on GoFundMe are simply considered to be 'personal gifts' which are not taxed as income in the US. Additionally, only donations made to a legally registered non-profit or charity may be considered eligible for donors to claim as a tax deduction. Again, every situation is different so please consult with a tax professional in your area.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:16 pm
There was a very very generous donation of $ 500.00 made a few hours
ago from a Christmas angel "Suzanne"... You are truly fabulous!

This is bringing it to a total of $ 2,302.00 for shewolf and her babe. I hope they had a good Christmas despite the eviction hanging over her head. Please let us know how you're doing, shewolf!
chai2

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
$500.000!!!!

Wow, Suzanne is quite a generous person!

http://www.gofundme.com/Her-Safe-Place
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
WOW! Just a beautiful WOW!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
Nothing less than awesome.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 08:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
That was very generous of her!

I hope they had a wonderful Holiday!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 10:31 pm
I am bumping this up, because much more money is needed.
chai2

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Heads up, she's going back to court this Wed.

jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:26 pm
@chai2,
I wish her luck this week!
0 Replies