Why don’t department stores gift-wrap?

jcboy

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 10:44 am
It seems like gift-wrapping in department stores is now a thing of the past. Even Macy’s has closed the gift-wrapping department. There is one store called Dillard’s that still do but that’s the only one left. Such a travesty.

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
dalehileman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 11:46 am
@jcboy,
Boy, that's really a good q. Wonder if this helps

https://www.google.ca/#q=Why+don’t+department+stores+gift-wrap%3F+
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:18 pm
I'm guessing because gift bags are so prevalent nowadays.

I pretty much put anything I'm giving in a gift bag.
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:27 pm
@chai2,
Another bygone thing of department stores....elevators with elevator operators.

I remember going to Bamburgers with my mother when I was a little girl. I couldn't decide what was more exciting....Riding up an excalator, or taking the elevator where the man operating it would announce at every stop what floor you were on, and what was on that flooo...."3rd floor, ladies foundations and childrens wear. 2nd floor, housewares and bridal registry. Main floor, cosmetics and mens and womens wear. Basement, sales and sundries.

sigh....those were the days.....back when they had a fainting couch in the ladies room.

I want my fainting couch back!
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:29 pm
@chai2,
Here was Bamburger's back in the day....could it get any better than this?

http://charisbambergers.webs.com/bams09.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 01:51 pm
@chai2,
Yes those gift bags come in handy, I just hate trying to wrap gifts, I'm lousy at it Smile
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 02:05 pm
@jcboy,
What are your feelings towards fainting couches and elevator operators in Bamburger's?
jcboy

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 02:20 pm
@chai2,
Oh I'm fine with that, as long as I've had my xanax prescription refilled Wink
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 02:49 pm
@jcboy,
You often make me chuckle Morgan.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 03:10 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

What are your feelings towards fainting couches and elevator operators in Bamburger's?

You mean you ladies plan the histronics in advance and make your was to an appropriate couch.
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 03:19 pm
@roger,
Oh yes....let's say a young ladies Aunt Rose comes to visit unexpectedly, while she's riding the elevator.

That's not uncommon what with all the up and down movement and doors opening and closing, letting in drafts and so forth.

She needs somewhere to recover, and collect herself.

http://arrogantass.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/fainting-couch.jpg
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 01:48 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
sigh....those were the days.....
I remember Chai when I was a kid the elevator car didn't have a door. Stick out your arm at just the wrong moment and it would get chopped off. While I was always logically appalled and terrified by the prospect, nobody else anytime anywhere seemed the least bit concerned

It's been said that Man is more thoughtful today

Though I can't see how he could seriously entertain the idea of the driverless car or the mini heli delivery vehicle
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 02:42 pm
I remember the PRECISION corners and folds from those gift wrappers at Husdon's (Detroit, MI) years ago - I could not believe how they did it. I always wondered if they had training. The paper was not the thin junk we have today, either. I suppose it got cost-prohibitive, with labor costs and materials.

Eva

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 11:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
Heavy paper makes folds and creases much sharper. You can't make it look like that with thin paper.

I LOVE wrapping gifts, btw. I have tons of ribbons, ornaments, gift tags, etc., and I always collect more at after-Xmas sales. Some years back I started to resent the fact that nobody else in my family spent $2 on gift wrap (or 10 minutes...and it wasn't because they are busier than me!), because they all started recycling ribbons and ornaments I had used on theirs. Sometimes even paper! It was embarrassing. These are ALL creative people! So I told them that when it came time to divvy up the ribbons and bows after Christmas, I was taking back all my own stuff. Sheesh. If it's gonna be recycled, I'M gonna recycle it. I really hated getting presents from other people that looked like gifts I'd decorated. It felt like I was giving myself a gift.

Yes, I know that was ridiculously picky and small-minded. It's the small stuff that really gets to you after awhile, y'know? I swear, I didn't say anything the first dozen years it happened.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:23 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
...to divvy up the ribbons and bows after Christmas,…..I'M gonna recycle it.
When i was a kid Eva and the depression was just ending we saved all the wrappings for re-use next Xmas
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:27 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

It seems like gift-wrapping in department stores is now a thing of the past. Even Macy’s has closed the gift-wrapping department. There is one store called Dillard’s that still do but that’s the only one left. Such a travesty.

Looks like many folks like to give gifts in small,colorful shopping bags.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

chai2 wrote:

You mean you ladies plan the histronics in advance and make your was to an appropriate couch.

Some very pregnant women have been known to give birth on one of those couches...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:31 pm
@Eva,
I don't give a lot of gifts anymore, but I used to love wrapping gifts. I collaged paper from design magazines, garden magazines, etc., usually with a theme to what was pictured, usually with some of the same colors in the pictures, putting them into one big piece of paper scotch taped at the back. Sometimes I'd use material left over from some sewing project. I'd use ribbons or cord or thin chain or wire or yarns; I'd use junk jewelry; sometimes not- junk jewelry, maybe just an earring that had lost it's mate. Sometimes the trinket would be some small hardware store type items.

Now I wish I'd taken photos of all those.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:47 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Heavy paper makes folds and creases much sharper. You can't make it look like that with thin paper.

I LOVE wrapping gifts, btw. I have tons of ribbons, ornaments, gift tags, etc., and I always collect more at after-Xmas sales. Some years back I started to resent the fact that nobody else in my family spent $2 on gift wrap (or 10 minutes...and it wasn't because they are busier than me!), because they all started recycling ribbons and ornaments I had used on theirs. Sometimes even paper! It was embarrassing. These are ALL creative people! So I told them that when it came time to divvy up the ribbons and bows after Christmas, I was taking back all my own stuff. Sheesh. If it's gonna be recycled, I'M gonna recycle it. I really hated getting presents from other people that looked like gifts I'd decorated. It felt like I was giving myself a gift.

Yes, I know that was ridiculously picky and small-minded. It's the small stuff that really gets to you after awhile, y'know? I swear, I didn't say anything the first dozen years it happened.

That's really interesting Eva.

I guess I appreciate a well wrapped gift, but maybe you might want to consider you could be casting your pearls before swine.

You would be in my case, because, being totally unaware I would be insulting you, I wouldn't pay the slighted bit of attention to the wrapping.

In fact (and I'm not kidding) when I am in an environment where there's a lot of artsy craftsy really perfectly done thingies like wrapping or exacting decorations for the season, I get rather anxious. Blocking out the perfectly done creases and perfectly aligned tape is I guess a self preservation thing.

I have a question for you Eva....Let's say you're in a store with a friend, and you see, for instance, some pretty box of some type. Do you tend to pick up the box and turn it this way and that, examining all sides, maybe even exclaiming how cunning it is?

When I'm with someone and they do that, my palms get all sweaty, and I want to bolt.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:52 pm
Mine always look like a big ball of sticky tape, with a vague hint of badly crinkled holly pattern paper underneath.

Humbug.