Why don’t department stores gift-wrap?

firefly

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 09:07 pm
@jcboy,
When I was in college, I always worked as a salesperson over the holidays (and summers and every Saturday) at an upscale department store, and we always did a certain amount of wrapping at the counter when the customer paid, if they wanted the item wrapped.

Our basic wrapping, that I did, for the items I sold, included a real sturdy white box, with the store logo on top, not the thin crappy folding boxes they use now, heavy tissue, and a plain, good quality, thick white or metallic gold wrapping paper that I tore off a large roll, and a long silky ribbon I wrapped around the box, or the corners of the box, and tied with a simple bow. It wasn't fancy, but it definitely looked like a gift, and it was provided at no cost. If the customer wanted more than that, the store had a gift wrapping department where they provided some really eye-catching and elaborate wrapping jobs, and charged for them accordingly.

I think it's a shame stores don't provide this service any more. Sometimes you want a really professionally wrapped gift for a very special occasion. Or you need an unusually sized gift boxed and wrapped.

My biggest problem wrapping gifts at home over the years has been the pets--the cats and dogs have loved to "help" me wrap. Laughing And my current puppy is no exception. Just the sight of the wrapping paper gets him excited, and, if he can run off with some paper scrapes, or ribbon, or a bow, he's in heaven.The cats used to get on top of the paper, along with the gift, which made it tricky to try to cut the paper to size, and they loved to bat at, and chew on the ribbon as I tried to tie it. It's really easier without that "help". Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 09:41 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Boy, that's really a good q. Wonder if this helps

https://www.google.ca/#q=Why+don’t+department+stores+gift-wrap%3F+

It didn't help in any possible way, dale.
jcboy

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:44 am
Antonio is out with his dad and I’m home having to wrap, I did find some wrapping paper with the lines on the back so it makes it a little easier to cut the paper.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:50 am
As a general rule, with some exceptions, but not many, customer service in the 21st century sucks. "Your call is very important to us," and that's why we're going to make you wait, while we prattle advertisements in your ear, and then give you mediocre service from transient employees whom we pay almost nothing.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:27 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

dalehileman wrote:

Why don't you love me Tico?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:18 pm
@jcboy,
Last night, on Saturday Night Live, Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon did a rap song about gift wrapping....a rap about wrapping. I didn't find it all that funny, but, if you're fans of those two you might.

You can watch a video of it here.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/165910/justin_timberlake_jimmy_fallons_snl
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:28 pm
@Ticomaya,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
Golly Tico, sorry. Do however try slightly different word combos
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:55 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Last night, on Saturday Night Live, Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon did a rap song about gift wrapping....a rap about wrapping. I didn't find it all that funny, but, if you're fans of those two you might.

You can watch a video of it here.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/165910/justin_timberlake_jimmy_fallons_snl

Nuh uh.....here's the classic Justin Timberlack gift wrap song ....

0 Replies

SangeetaSharma

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 03:32 am
I think we want some new innovation in gift packing other that bags and all. Try something New. Think and share with us.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:29 am
Gosh, I've been thinking about this for days, and I'm afraid that the only reason for this travesty that I can come up with is that the country is going to Hell in a handbag because of those GD teabaggers.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:37 am
the answer is that what we call department stores have almost all turned into discounters, and many are in deep financial trouble (JCP, Sears) or headed due south (kohl's, dillard's). if you want the old department store treatment you need to seek out the luxury brand stores or the boutiques.
0 Replies

SangeetaSharma

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 05:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
Don't know. I think that will not in the budget or have any other problems.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 06:36 am
@jcboy,
I've found that some smaller independent stores will do it. I went to a small local toy store and they wrapped our gift - no charge. Now granted it was a crappy job, but it saved me some time.

Honestly I think simply because of cost. Probably the last time I got something wrapped at Macy's was over 20 years ago. Now it seems you are lucky to get a gift box with a purchase - seems stores are always running out of these.

Many malls though during the Christmas season and some even year round - offer gift wrapping for a price, most that I have seen do this gift wrapping for charity.

I personally like Eva - enjoy wrapping. I usually buy a bunch of ribbon and cheap small decorations - like little bulbs to add a decorative touch. I also try to find the more unique type of gift tags to add more decoration.

Great thought on the thicker paper - where the heck do you find thick paper - all the paper I've found is thin and a pain in the a$$ as you need to be careful and not pull too tight as it will rip - but then if you don't pull tight, the package isn't all nice and neat at the corners.
0 Replies