not to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:27 pm
Study: Heavy social drinkers show brain damage

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Heavy social drinkers show the same pattern of brain damage as hospitalized alcoholics -- enough to impair day-to-day functioning, U.S. researchers said Wednesday.

Brain scans show clear damage, and tests of reading, balance and other function show people who drink more than 100 drinks a month have some problems, the researchers said.

"Socially functioning heavy drinkers often do not recognize that their level of drinking constitutes a problem that warrants treatment," the researchers, at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee and the University of California San Francisco, wrote in their report.

"The enrollment criterion for heavy drinkers was the consumption of more than an average of 100 alcoholic drinks per month for men over 3 years before the study (80 drinks for women)," they wrote in the report, published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.

One drink is usually defined as a serving of spirits, a glass of wine or a can or bottle of beer.

Dieter Meyerhoff of UCSF and Dr. Peter Martin of Vanderbilt examined 46 chronic, heavy drinkers and 52 light drinkers recruited using newspaper ads and flyers.

They used magnetic resonance imaging to look at physical brain structures and also measured various brain chemicals associated with healthy brain function.

Standard tests of verbal intelligence, processing speed, balance, working memory, spatial function, executive function, and learning and memory were given to the volunteers.

"Our heavy drinkers sample was significantly impaired on measures of working memory, processing speed, attention, executive function, and balance," the researchers wrote.

Measures of brain chemicals and structures showed some of the same damage seen in alcoholics who are in the hospital or treatment centers, they said.

The study is unusual in that most studies of brain damage from alcohol are done in people who have undergone treatment.

"What our findings indicate is that brain damage is detectable in heavy drinkers who are not in treatment and function relatively well in the community," Meyerhoff said in a statement.

Martin and Meyerhoff said the study showed evidence of brain impairment, even if the drinkers cannot see it themselves.

"Our message is: Drink in moderation. Heavy drinking damages your brain ever so slightly, reducing your cognitive functioning in ways that may not be readily noticeable. To be safe, don't overdo it."

Meyerhoff said that for most adults, moderate alcohol use translates to up to two drinks per day for younger men, and one drink per day for women and older people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,298 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:29 pm
That is such a lie man. And if I could remember the buffalo theory I'd be all over this study like hairs on a gorilla.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:43 pm
Dear Alcohol,
First and foremost, let me tell you that I'm a huge fan of yours. Yes, my friend, you always seem to be there when needed. The perfect post-work cocktail, a beer with the game, and you're even around in the holidays hidden inside chocolates as you warm us when we're stuck in the midst of endless family gatherings. Yet lately I've been wondering about your intentions. While I want to believe that you have my best interests at heart, I feel that your influence has led to some unwise consequences, briefed below for your review.
1. Phone calls: While I agree with you that communication is important, I question the suggestion that any conversation of substance or necessity takes place after 2 am.

2. Eating: Now, you know I love a good meal and, though cooking is far from my specialty, why you suggested that I eat a kabob with chili sauce, coupled with pot noodles and some stale chips (washed down with chocolate Nesquik and topped off with a Kit Kat all after a few cheese curls and chili cheese fries) is beyond me. Eclectic eater I am, but I think you went too far this time.

3. Clumsiness: Unless you're subtly trying to tell me that I need to do more yoga to improve my balance, I see NO need to hammer the issue home by causing me to fall down. Completely unnecessary. Similarly, it should never take me more than 45 seconds to get the front door key into the lock.

4. Pictures: This can be a blessing in disguise, as it can often clarify the last point below, but the following costumes are banned from ever being placed on my head in public again: Indian wigs, sombreros, bows, ties, boxes, upside-down cups, inflatable balloon animals, traffic cones, or bras.

5. Beer Goggles: If I think I may know him/her from somewhere, I most likely do not. Please do not request that I go over and see if in fact, I do actually know that person. The phrase 'Let's F**K' is illegal from now on. While I may be thinking this, please reinstate the brain-to-mouth-block that would stop this thought from becoming a statement, especially in public.

6. Furthermore: The hangovers have GOT to stop. Now, I know a little penance for our previous evening's debauchery may be in order, but the 2 pm-hangover immobility is completely unacceptable. I ask that, if the proper precautions are taken (water, vitamin B, bread products, aspirin) prior to going to bed/passing out facedown on the kitchen floor with a bag of popcorn, the hangover should be minimal and in no way interfere with my daily Saturday or Sunday (or any day for that matter) activities. Come on now, it's only fair-you do your part, I'll do mine.

Alcohol, I have enjoyed our friendship for some years now and would like to ensure that we remain on good terms. You've been the invoker of great stories, the provocation for much laughter, and the needed companion when I just don't know what to do with the extra money in my pockets. In order to continue this friendship, I ask that you carefully review my grievances above and address them immediately. I will look for an answer no later than Thursday 3 pm (pre-happy hour) on your possible solutions and hopefully we can continue this fruitful partnership.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:48 pm
I would reply, but I've already forgotten the topic.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:50 pm
My favorite definition of an alcoholic is anyone who drinks more than I do. I know Kingsley Amis said that; can't prove he was the first...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
Hemingway drank a quart of whiskey before noon, and look what he accomplished.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:58 pm
Short sentences. Castration anxiety. Four-decade midlife crisis. Died bloated.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:12 pm
patiodog, that could easily describe half the men in America, alcoholics or not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:14 pm
Shot himself in one of his horrid depressive episodes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:19 pm
It was a phase, bunny....(just as a P.S. I can't stand Hemingway. Bores me to tears.)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:24 pm
I live in a very wealthy county in Florida. Two weeks ago the Department of Health issued a bulletin describing the high incidence of malnutrition and liver disease in the elderly. They attributed it to Alcoholism.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:28 pm
There certainly could a correlation there, panzade!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:30 pm
Oh there's no doubt there is and the authorities are very worried.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:32 pm
Hey, you're old, retired in Florida, most of your friends and family are dead or don't bother to talk to you, what would you do?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:35 pm
yeah Cav, you got me pegged...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:37 pm
You're just a puppy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
panzade, do you run into any 'Floribecquers' (sp?) down there?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
Not any more Cav."Floribeque Notippus" were thicker than flamingos in the 80's. People started puttin up signs at their hotels saying:"A bas le quebecois" and they stopped spending the winter here. Go figure.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:49 pm
Hmm...Florida sounds like a ripe atmosphere for alcoholics.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
I just checked my local phone book, and was shocked at the number of AA and AlAnon meetings that were available in this little town.
0 Replies