Where are the Conservative voices?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 02:19 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Pretty much everyone agrees, and has always agreed, that when someone attacks your cities and kills thousands of your civilians, you have the right to strike back militarily,

Even if the people you strike back against had nothing to do with it? You managed to kill considerably more innocent Iraqi civilians that Al Qaida did on 9/11.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 02:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Saddam Hussein had broken his treaty obligation to allow UN inspectors to verify that he had dismantled his WMD programs.

Bullshit, Hans Blix said they were being allowed in. You knew their were no WMDs, you just wanted to kill a lot of innocent people.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 02:24 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

Or Egyptians, no Iraqis or Iranians.

A. We've never done anything to the Iranians.

I suppose a CIA/MI6 backed coup d'etat that deposed a democratically elected government and imposed a cruel dictatorship doesn't count.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Pretty much everyone agrees, and has always agreed, that when someone attacks your cities and kills thousands of your civilians, you have the right to strike back militarily,

Even if the people you strike back against had nothing to do with it? You managed to kill considerably more innocent Iraqi civilians that Al Qaida did on 9/11.

The people we struck back against were the Taliban government who were letting Al Qaeda operate in their territory and we asked them repeatedly to extradite bin Laden before we attacked. Al Qaeda attacked us in our cities and killed thousands. We have a right to retaliate against the Afghan Taliban government or anyone else for a violent attack against us.

As for the war in Iraq, it had nothing to do with 9/11. That was because Saddam Hussein, after 12 years, had not been persuaded to obey a treaty he signed to permit verification that he had dismantled his WMD programs. He had been warned over and over and over for years and clearly was not going to comply.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:13 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
As for the war in Iraq, it had nothing to do with 9/11.

Bullshit, Dubya was looking for an excuse to attack Iraq ever since he came to office.

Quote:
That was because Saddam Hussein, after 12 years, had not been persuaded to obey a treaty he signed to permit verification that he had dismantled his WMD programs. He had been warned over and over and over for years and clearly was not going to comply.

Further bullshit. He had no WMDs, you never found any did you? Hans Blix asked for more time, but you wouldn't let him have it. There was nothing Saddam Hussein could do to avoid an attack. He had no WMds he was complying with UN weapons inspectors. Your case was so weak it failed to secure a vote in the UN.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Saddam Hussein had broken his treaty obligation to allow UN inspectors to verify that he had dismantled his WMD programs.

Bullshit, Hans Blix said they were being allowed in. You knew their were no WMDs, you just wanted to kill a lot of innocent people.

Although UN inspectors were technically allowed into the country, they were repeatedly refused the right to inspect facilities at the times they wished to. The UN had stated that he was in violation of the treaty and warned him over and over to comply. Not only did we not know that Iraq had dismantled its WMD programs, much of the world believed, as we did, that he had simply moved them underground. The first time we attacked Iraq, it was because they had invaded a neighbor who then came to us for help. The second time, it was because a monster had violated a treaty for years in which he had pledged to allow us to verify that he was no longer preparing nuclear and biological weapons. As for us just wanting to kill innocent people, that is the argument of a child.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:24 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for the war in Iraq, it had nothing to do with 9/11.

Bullshit, Dubya was looking for an excuse to attack Iraq ever since he came to office.

Quote:
That was because Saddam Hussein, after 12 years, had not been persuaded to obey a treaty he signed to permit verification that he had dismantled his WMD programs. He had been warned over and over and over for years and clearly was not going to comply.

Further bullshit. He had no WMDs, you never found any did you? Hans Blix asked for more time, but you wouldn't let him have it. There was nothing Saddam Hussein could do to avoid an attack. He had no WMds he was complying with UN weapons inspectors. Your case was so weak it failed to secure a vote in the UN.

Bush said incessantly that we were invading Iraq because of its refusal to cooperate with WMD inspections.

We know he had no extant WMD programs only because we invaded. The belief that he had taken his WMD programs underground was widespread at the time. The UN had declared Iraq in breach of the treaty and warned them over and over for years and years. In Security Council resolution 1441, for instance, they gave Iraq "a final opportunity to comply with its disarmament obligations." Hussein could have stopped us from invading at any time merely by keeping his word and allowing free inspection. Had Saddam Hussein gained nuclear or biological weapons, the world would have paid an unthinkable price. 12 years was enough to try to make him keep his word.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:26 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Bullshit.

I think I've made my point.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:29 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bush said incessantly that we were invading Iraq because of its refusal to cooperate with WMD inspections.

And it was bullshit. That's why nobody believed him. The invasion was about stealing the Iraqi peoples oil, and making huge profits for Halliburton. Not to mention revenge for making George Bush snr. look daft.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:29 am
@Brandon9000,
Hans Blix asked for more time. Dubya refused to give him any because he wanted to invade.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:30 am
@Ticomaya,
Your point being that you refuse to face facts.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

And it was bullshit. That's why nobody believed him. The invasion was about stealing the Iraqi peoples oil, and making huge profits for Halliburton. Not to mention revenge for making George Bush snr. look daft.

Any evidence for this? Anyway, even if it were true, which it isn't, it would only mean that he did the right thing for the wrong reason. Saddam Hussein could simply not be allowed to possess nuclear or biological weapons. Invasion was the right thing to do based on the information available at the time.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Hans Blix asked for more time. Dubya refused to give him any because he wanted to invade.

He refused to give him more time because (a) he had already given him 12 years to obey a treaty, (b) the UN and the US had warned him over and over and over, and (c) the consequences of Saddam Hussein possessing nuclear or biological weapons would be too terrible to contemplate.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:35 am
@Brandon9000,
Any evidence of WMDs? Absolutely none. Evidence of huge profits for Halliburton shareholders? Shitloads. You just have to join the dots.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:37 am
From the Wikipedia article on Hans Blix:

Quote:
During the Iraq disarmament crisis before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Blix was called back from retirement by UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to lead United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission in charge of monitoring Iraq. Kofi Annan originally recommended Rolf Ekéus, who worked with UNSCOM in the past, but both Russia and France vetoed his appointment.

Hans Blix personally admonished Saddam for "cat and mouse" games and warned Iraq of "serious consequences" if it attempted to hinder or delay his mission.

In his report to the UN Security Council on 14 February 2003, Blix claimed that "If Iraq had provided the necessary cooperation in 1991, the phase of disarmament – under resolution 687 – could have been short and a decade of sanctions could have been avoided."

Blix's statements about the Iraq WMD program came to contradict the claims of the George W. Bush administration, and attracted a great deal of criticism from supporters of the invasion of Iraq. In an interview on BBC 1 on 8 February 2004, Blix accused the US and British governments of dramatizing the threat of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, in order to strengthen the case for the 2003 war against the regime of Saddam Hussein. Ultimately, no stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction were ever found.

In an interview with London's The Guardian newspaper, Hans Blix said, "I have my detractors in Washington. There are bastards who spread things around, of course, who planted nasty things in the media".

In 2004, Blix published a book, Disarming Iraq, where he gives his account of the events and inspections before the coalition began its invasion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:40 am
@Brandon9000,
So the slaughter of 134,000 Iraqi civilians is the right thing?

Saddam Hussein had no WMDs whatsoever, biological, nuclear or chemical. When he did have them, and used them against Iranians, Donald Rumsfeld went on an arse licking trip to Baghdad. You didn't find it too terrible to contemplate then.

I notice you've been very quiet about the coup d'état that installed the Shah's dictatorship.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:43 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Any evidence of WMDs? Absolutely none. Evidence of huge profits for Halliburton shareholders? Shitloads. You just have to join the dots.

In the 1980s he pursued an extensive biological weapons program and a nuclear weapons program. He had promised disarmament and to allow UN inspectors unfettered access. The UN had declared him in breach of the treaty and had warned him over and over again to comply. You are stating that the reason president Bush gave repeatedly for the invasion is false and claiming that you can read his mind and know what his real motive is, an assertion for which you have not a scrap of evidence. I can assert that you're only posting here because you hate mankind but it's worthless since I am claiming to read your mind.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So the slaughter of 134,000 Iraqi civilians is the right thing?

Saddam Hussein could simply not be permitted to have weapons so powerful that one use of one could kill hundreds of thousands of people. Please provide a link to verify that US troops killed 134,000 Iraqi civilians.
izzythepush wrote:
Saddam Hussein had no WMDs whatsoever, biological, nuclear or chemical. When he did have them, and used them against Iranians, Donald Rumsfeld went on an arse licking trip to Baghdad. You didn't find it too terrible to contemplate then.

We know they had no remaining WMD programs, which they had certainly had before, only because we invaded. The "too terrible to contemplate" was about nuclear or biological weapons, not chemical weapons, in Saddam Hussein's hands.
izzythepush wrote:

I notice you've been very quiet about the coup d'état that installed the Shah's dictatorship.

In 1925, a specially convened assembly deposed Ahmad Shah Qajar, the last ruler of the Qajar dynasty, and named Reza Khan, who earlier had adopted the surname Pahlavi, as the new shah.

You had stated that we had treated the Iranians unfairly because they had no connection to 9/11 and I stated that we did nothing to the Iranians in response to 9/11.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 06:03 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Please provide a link to verify that US troops killed 134,000 Iraqi civilians.

We know they had no remaining WMD programs, which they had certainly had before, only because we invaded. The "too terrible to contemplate" was about nuclear or biological weapons, not chemical weapons, in Saddam Hussein's hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

Hans Blix was not given enough time. Hussein had no WMDs, we were taken to war on a lie. Why do you think chemical weapons are OK?

Quote:
You had stated that we had treated the Iranians unfairly because they had no connection to 9/11 and I stated that we did nothing to the Iranians in response to 9/11.

Try telling that to the thousands of Iranians who have died from lack of medicine.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 07:04 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The fact that someone didn't change their mind and agree with you means that there was no point in stating your position?
I'm sure you know as well as everyone else that what I posted does not mean what you have written here.

The gist of the original post concerned condemnation by conservatives of posts that appear to be hateful and bigoted toward someone/some group. Simply put, without trying to totally rehash my wordy previous post, I was stating that I gave up trying to educate those who insist on hateful, bigoted posts that such posts will not help them get their point across and that now I simply ignore them. Doesn't mean I agree with them, just that I ignore them. So I hope that clarifies the matter for you.

Quote:
If I bring facts to a thread that previously did not have those facts represented in it, then I've done my bit.
And I'm glad you do. Just as others also try to do. Just as I try to do when I have something I feel needs to be added. Isn't that exactly what a forum is for?