Where are the Conservative voices?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Hate speech is something much more obscene and damaging than political barbs.
What is your concise definition of "hate speech"?
I declare that: I hate discriminatory taxation and I hate gun control.

I 'd like to say that I hate authoritarians, but there 's a problem with hypocrisy
in that I 've had them for friends.

I hate jazz too; it has given me headaches. I 'm not afraid to say so.

David
RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 04:51 pm
@CoastalRat,
There may be some new posters who think because no one opposes the garbage their may be some truth in it. I agree after a certain number of posts in explanation of the untruths of the more blatent lies its better to just scroll past the garbage. It dosent take that long to identify them. And no one has an obligation to spend the rest of their lives answering them.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:56 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Or Egyptians, no Iraqis or Iranians.

A. We've never done anything to the Iranians.
B. We did something to the Iraqis, because after a dozen years, Saddam Hussein couldn't be persuaded to honor his treaty obligation to allow UN inspectors to verify that he had dismantled his WMD programs.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:57 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Well, to begin with,
the Moslems might have 2nd thawts
about blowing up or burning down our edifices.

Instead of dealing with a handful of religious fanatics you'd make yourself the enemy of the whole Moslem world...

No we haven't. We've responded appropriately to them and they don't like it. They've made themselves our enemies.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Actually Kuwait is one of the few Arab counties that doesn't.

Most ill will is due to the attack on Iraq, which was done in such a cack-handed manner that it made things ten times worse.

Saddam Hussein had broken his treaty obligation to allow UN inspectors to verify that he had dismantled his WMD programs. Nuclear weapons in the hands of Saddam Hussein would have been absolutely unacceptable.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 06:00 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

We didn't avenge ourselves against those (revenge?) against those who carried out the 9/11 attacks, like izzythepush said, we only turned a lot of good will against us by attacking a country who had nothing whatsoever to do with 9/11...

President Bush said over and over and over that we invaded Iraq because of their unwillingness to let us verify that they had dismantled their WMD programs. 9/11 had nothing to do with it. You're just making that up.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 06:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
We avenged ourselves; to a very limited extent.

Vengeance is a very poor substitute for justice. As Rev has pointed out we killed a lot of innocent men and women who had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. We made matters worse...

Pretty much everyone agrees, and has always agreed, that when someone attacks your cities and kills thousands of your civilians, you have the right to strike back militarily,
Kolyo

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 08:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

You're just making that up.

More "civility" from the Republicans who are always whining about liberals' incivility. Don't call revelette a liar!

As far as your claim goes that Bush didn't try to link Iraq and 9/11, he did say this:
"You can't distinguish between Al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror."
coldjoint

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 08:53 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
As far as your claim goes that Bush didn't try to link Iraq and 9/11, he did say this:
"You can't distinguish between Al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror."

You got that quote from Mother Jones? Talk about hate sites. Try talking about the real problems, today right now. Blaming Bush is no reason to call the other side of the story hateful.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 09:13 pm
@Brandon9000,
izzythepush wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Well, to begin with,
the Moslems might have 2nd thawts
about blowing up or burning down our edifices.

Instead of dealing with a handful of religious fanatics
you'd make yourself the enemy of the whole Moslem world...
Brandon9000 wrote:
No we haven't. We've responded appropriately to them and they don't like it.
They've made themselves our enemies.
I believe that the Moslems bore us enmity before 9/11/1.
That 's Y thay were dancing in the streets on that date.
Minimally, thay r mad at us for our support of Israel.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 09:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
Hate speech is something much more obscene and damaging than political barbs.
What is your concise definition of "hate speech"?
I declare that: I hate discriminatory taxation and I hate gun control.

I 'd like to say that I hate authoritarians, but there 's a problem with hypocrisy
in that I 've had them for friends.

I hate jazz too; it has given me headaches. I 'm not afraid to say so.

David
I don't imagine that we r going to get Max 's
concise definition of "hate speech".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 09:40 pm

My conservative voice again:
in the past, it has been the province of the mentally ill
to express fears of the government reading their minds; paranoia,
but I find it alarming to to see "Futurescape" TV on the Science Channel,
tell us of computers now being built that will be able to read our minds
and to speak of our thoughts being deposited in the cloud.
This show purports to be a near-term science show, non-fiction,
tho somewhat speculative well founded in established fact.

That program goes on in that vein(i.e., computers readings citizens' minds)
without a word about curtailing government.
Obviously, if in the future that were possible, government woud
take over those computers (which it is funding now anyway)
and then have a point of entry into our minds -- heretofore our own sovereign territory.
Government has not intruded into our minds yet because IT CANNOT
When it can, it will.
If it has the ability to know what we think,
government will legislate what we can legally think.

We will become the Borg.

I 'm glad that I have no children for whom to fear; no grandchildren.
I found comfort in the knowledge of human death,
with the natural molting off of the human body,
but thay show new chemicals which effectively restore youth to rats.

I 'm gonna begin a new thread about this
and when we need to become defensively paranoid.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

You're just making that up.

More "civility" from the Republicans who are always whining about liberals' incivility. Don't call revelette a liar!

However, he always said that the invasion of Iraq was about WMD. He said it repeatedly. Saying "We only turned a lot of good will against us by attacking a country who had nothing whatsoever to do with 9/11" indicates a complete ignorance of Bush's incessant explanations of why we were invading Iraq.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
However, he always said that the invasion of Iraq was about WMD. He said it repeatedly.

And Hillary and other Democrats backed him up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:20 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
That's your standard? In effect, you're saying that liberals need to be as trollish as the three "conservatives" you've identified before you condemn them in the same fashion that you claim more responsible conservatives are remiss in not aiming at the trio right now. Posters who rise to that level of trollishness, however, are routinely placed on ignore by members of all political stripes. So, in effect, you're saying that you want conservatives to repudiate "conservatives" that they may have on ignore because you don't have them on ignore.

Quick note, any allegation of trollish behavior on my part is just as bogus as any allegation of bigotry.
I'm not suggesting that you're calling me a troll -- just wanted to get that out there.

Additional note: There is also no trollish behavior on the part of Gungasnake or Coldjoint. People may or may not agree with what they post, but they are posting their views politely and in good faith.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
How about this?

Quote:
I think it's that a certain type of Liberal delights in the slaughter of innocent Americans.

I previously mentioned that at least some moderate Muslims have a happy little smirk when innocents are slaughtered by other Muslims. I see the same happy little smirk on a lot of Liberals when innocent Americans are massacred.

I would not be at all surprised if every single Liberal who has posted in this thread was absolutely delighted at the 9/11 attacks.

Your judgement is deeply flawed.

The hateful bigotry being spewed against Muslims by these "conservative" posters is uniquely offensive. It is ugly and bigoted to a level that must be challenged.

First, that was directed at certain Liberals, not at Muslims. So for you to pretend that anything there was directed at Muslims is just more of your usual dishonesty.

And second, it may indeed be ugly that certain Liberals cheer whenever innocent Americans are brutally massacred, but it is hardly bigotry to condemn them for it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:26 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
Max, you ask where are the Conservative voices. Well, I'll tell you. I am right where I have always been. I have simply realized over the years that responding to some posters only gives them more of a platform to spout hatred.

And how many of them were actually spouting hatred? Zero?

CoastalRat wrote:
I once posted a response to Gunga (I think it was) about his whole KKKlinton schtick and how that will keep people from taking him seriously. But I quickly learned that it does no good, so why bother.

The fact that someone didn't change their mind and agree with you means that there was no point in stating your position?

As far as "why bother", the reason I post the truth in a thread is because then the truth is present in that thread. It matters little to me if people agree with the truth. Reality is reality whether people accept it or not.

If I bring facts to a thread that previously did not have those facts represented in it, then I've done my bit. I don't care if someone then comes along and refuses to accept reality.

That's not to say I won't engage someone in polite conversation if they offer reasonable disagreement. But I'm not about to get upset just because someone pops up and proclaims their refusal to believe in reality.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:28 pm
The mistake Bozo is making that it is Islam ,not the Muslims, the posts are directed at. They are inspired and obligated by this religion/ideology.

The idiot doesn't get it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Because bigotry matters. It matters to who we are as a society. It matters to the people who are targeted by it.

Yes, but Max, you aren't actually challenging any bigotry. You are spewing false accusations against innocent people because you are a despicable person.

maxdancona wrote:
If we accept the demonization of Muslims as part of our public discourse without it being strongly challenged. it hurts us as a country. It makes us a weaker culture and lessens us as a people who respect freedom and liberty and equality.

It is hardly demonization to wonder why moderate Muslims never seem to have much objection to innocent people being brutally massacred in their name.

It is perfectly legitimate to ask them to explain their appalling silence on this matter.

maxdancona wrote:
But there are also practical reasons. Consider growing up as a young Muslim and being faced with this type of hate speech.

It is hardly hate speech to question why moderate Muslims never seem to voice much of an objection to innocent people being brutally massacred in their name.

maxdancona wrote:
The posters in question are are claiming that Muslims are prone to rape and violence.

You sure are a despicable person to spew false accusations this way.

maxdancona wrote:
In my opinion, failing to strongly and publicly condemn this hateful bigotry is unfair to the people who are the targets of it.

What is unfair is your neverending spew of outrageous false accusations against innocent people.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
You, evidently, view A2K differently. You may see it as a courtroom or a battlefield or town hall meeting. In those settings, I can see why you'd want to challenge racists rather than walk away. If, however, you also see it as a conversation, then all I can say is that I hope your interactions with people in real life are limited.

Max Dancona isn't challenging any racists. Rather, he is falsely accusing innocent people of racism (or whatever the proper -ism is for his false accusations).
0 Replies