This Parrot is not dead. Python to reform.

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 11:22 am
Quote:
All of the surviving members of comedy group Monty Python are to reform for a stage show, one of the Pythons, Terry Jones, has confirmed.

"We're getting together and putting on a show - it's real," Jones told the BBC.

"I'm quite excited about it. I hope it makes us a lot of money. I hope to be able to pay off my mortgage!"

The reunion is expected to be announced officially at a press conference being held in London on Thursday.

John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Jones are all due to appear at the event

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24999401
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,321 • Replies: 34

Foofie

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:05 pm
I only like John Cleese. He endeared himself to me in the Faulty Towers episode where the moose head fell on his head before he went to the dining room to take the tourists' orders. And, you know what then occurred...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:29 pm
@Foofie,
You've got that wrong, the moose head drops on him right at the end, after the incident in the dining room.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
nothing is sadder than seeing a bunch of old farts trying to capture their former glory. Look at the remaining members of 60's doowap groups or The STones. Jeezus Christ, just be happy and drive your Lambos around and go away.
vonny

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 01:46 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know how John Cleese will manage his Ministry of Silly Walks - he has two artificial hips nowadays!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:08 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You've got that wrong, the moose head drops on him right at the end, after the incident in the dining room.

No. The moose head falling on him made him woozy, so he kept repeating, "Don't mention the ..." that he told the Spanish waiter, back in the kitchen. And, it was then that he did the high step, to the point of one of the women tourists started to cry. The falling moose head caused John's buffoonery.

For the moose head to fall at the end doesn't make sense, since then John's buffoonery would be interpreted by the viewer as maliscious. It was not seen that way; it was his being woozy after the moose head fell in him, just after he was advising the Spanish waiter, in the kitchen, "Don't mention the ..."
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:33 pm
@Foofie,
You're wrong.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:52 pm
@Foofie,
Izzy is quite correct. The concussion is from a frying pan. The moose head falls on Cleese at the end.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 04:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Dollars to donuts one of them pull out before the reunion.

These things have been planned before...but always come to a bust.

They are probably my favorite comedy group.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 07:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I was one of the biggest Python fans there ever was.
But , earlier, I was also a HUUGELY big fan of Uncle Andy's Club on Sat mornings. Andy Devine and that "plunck yer magic twanger Froggy" , just made my childhood less traumatic.
Hyah kids Hyah hyah hyah.

Then I started reading Jack London books and the life of Roy Chapman Andrews.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I was one of the biggest Python fans there ever was.
But , earlier, I was also a HUUGELY big fan of Uncle Andy's Club on Sat mornings. Andy Devine and that "plunck yer magic twanger Froggy" , just made my childhood less traumatic.
Hyah kids Hyah hyah hyah.

Then I started reading Jack London books and the life of Roy Chapman Andrews.

Never saw the Uncle Andy thing.

I loved Monty Python...but always seemed to be involved with someone who hated them. The amount of dislike from some Americans for the group always astounded me. And the people who claimed they couldn't see anything funny about "British humor" was large.

When I was in England, one of my favorite shows (long before the Python era) was the Val Parnell show from the London Palladium. It was The Ed Sullivan show in the UK...and had lots of great British comedy skits.

I'd love to see the survivors together again for a show...but like I said, my guess is it will never happen.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 03:51 am
@McGentrix,
Thanks, it's always a mistake to argue something based purely on recollections. Here's the scene in question, it starts off with Basil discharging himself from hospital and ends with him being struck by the moose.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 03:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Similarly, a lot of us couldn't understand why Americans liked it so, so much of the cultural references were British, and wouldn't necessarily be easily picked up over the other side of the pond.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:54 am
@izzythepush,
Cleese's physicality and his timing (that was always a major accomplishment of the Pythons), was amazing. This scene was a classic and I recall the scene at the table where he keeps escalating his mention of "The War"

every bit as good as some of WC Fields

As far as "Americans not getting it fully", there was apparently enough there to appreciate across the globe. The classical references and more cerebral stuff was also universal.

I always loved the "Upper Class TWit" contest or the "Dinsdale" sketch (where the references were really more to American style mobsters)

Great timing is always appreciated . We had very little going on in AMerican TV at the time. I was finishing sophomore year in college in 68 and the Pythons were a staple for the nerds of chemistry and physics (in which I was a sworn member and treasurer even though I was about 2 years younger than most of the students in there)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 06:26 am
The claim also assumes that Americans are stupid, and know nothing outside of their own locality.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 08:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
"...I loved Monty Python...but always seemed to be involved with someone who hated them. The amount of dislike from some Americans for the group always astounded me. And the people who claimed they couldn't see anything funny about "British humor" was large."

I don't think it was just an American thing. The whole generation gap had just really kicked in to gear, and there were many, many older Brits who didn't have a clue as to what we young un's were laughing at.
I remember my dad, one of the funniest people I've ever known, just scratching his head at all "that nonsense".

One could see it everywhere during the sixties. The po faced establishment overwhelmed by the brash younger generation in their damned mini skirts and John Lennon sunglasses.
Before the late fifties, the younger generation were just a clone of their parents. By the time the Beatles, Stones and Python had arrived, the younger generation were suddenly seen as something quite alien.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 08:52 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for that. I guess the "generation gap" did span the pond.

I always thought I was lucky with the Pythons, because I had spent 2 years living in England...and caught onto their humor...and their language (which bears a passing resemblance to English as spoken here.)

Glad to know there was that same problem over there...but as I am writing this, I am thinking of some of "that silliness and nonsense"...and laughing out loud. Who could not love John Cleese's "walks?"
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 08:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
This summer, Nancy and I went to a production of Spamalot at a Plays in the Park thing in neighboring Edison.

It was spectacular...and the "horse riding" was as good as anything the Pythons were able to do.

Nancy enjoyed it. I LOVED it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 08:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
In the BBC news report, the success of Spamalot was cited as one of the main reasons for the reunion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 09:47 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Izzy is quite correct. The concussion is from a frying pan. The moose head falls on Cleese at the end.

Well, thank you for clarifying the concussion's cause. Regardless, just one of the best Faulty Tower episodes John Cleese ever did, in my opinion.

Also, in the movie, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the mocking of the French was appreciated (by me). I do have to give the British credit for their ability to mock certain groups. I wish Americans can learn how to mock certain groups too. It might just help correct some groups' ultra-sensitivities, once it was learned that they are deluded in their high opinion of themselves. Mockery might teach humility?
0 Replies