This Parrot is not dead. Python to reform.

Foofie

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 09:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Similarly, a lot of us couldn't understand why Americans liked it so, so much of the cultural references were British, and wouldn't necessarily be easily picked up over the other side of the pond.

I believe it correlates with intelligence. The loving of French mimes correlates with idiocy, in my opinion. Anyway, not all Americans are unable to appreciate the British understatement. The boyfriend in As Time Goes By, in my opinion, uses understatement continuously in his conversation with his live in girlfriend. I just don't see how he can talk that much about female topics?

Plus, it seems interesting to me to see people speaking in English in Europe, since so much of Europe is a Tower of Babel. Everyone should speak English, in my opinion, even if they talk like Prince Charles.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 09:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
The Fish Dance caused me to seriously choke on a mouthful of sausage and mash, the very first time I saw it on TV.
Every time I see it, my eyes water and I get a sudden urge to get someone to bash me on the back.

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 11:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
now for something completely different.
A MAN WITH THREE BUTTOCKS
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 02:03 pm
I can't help laughing at the surreal comedy of Monty Python - totally ridiculous, but so funny! Hard to choose a favourite, but the Ministry of Funny Walks sketch is one I'll always remember.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:37 pm
I don't understand why they have to reform. Have they all become drunks or drug-addicts?
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:39 pm
@Setanta,
worse than that. They've become OLD
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:49 pm
If anyone learns how to reform that condition, let me know pronto.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 02:19 am
The main obstacle against reforming until now has been Michael Palin. He's as famous now for his travel documentaries, and he seems to enjoy doing that.
Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The main obstacle against reforming until now has been Michael Palin. He's as famous now for his travel documentaries, and he seems to enjoy doing that.

A middle-aged Brit schlepping around like he is still in his twenties? Boring, at best, in my opinion.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:26 am
@Foofie,
Have you ever watched any of his programmes, foofie?

Palin schlepps nothing like a twenty year old. He goes to far flung places and interacts well with the locals. If one is into travel, or at least mildly curious about unusual places and people, these travelogues are a little window to the world. Not earth shattering, but entertaining and interesting all the same.
People who are easily bored are usually boring people, I find.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Palin schlepps nothing like a twenty year old. He goes to far flung places and interacts well with the locals. If one is into travel, or at least mildly curious about unusual places and people, these travelogues are a little window to the world. Not earth shattering, but entertaining and interesting all the same.

Quite so on all counts here, Lordyaswas.

I saw a special on PBS about the Pythons...and one of the members (don't remember which one) mentioned that one of the other members (don't remember which one, but for some reason I thought it was Palin) always says "yes" to suggestions of a "get-together"...but actually means "no."
Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 08:17 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Thank you for the compliment. I am immensely boring. Thank you for the compliment. I am immensely boring. Thank you for the compliment. I am immensely boring.

I prefer the travelogue's by Rudy Max, or the Globe Trekker series. I find the hosts more entertaining. Perhaps, it it just the anti-climactic feeling of mine to see Palin doing travelogue hosting, and not comedy. Or, maybe he doesn't have the high cheekbones of John Cleese? Either way, I am boring, so it is easy for me to be bored by Palin's travelogues.

Lastly, I am a firm believer of travel being just another form of "the sillies," since I am not a citizen of the world (just the U.S.A.) and I find the tremendous planning and effort to observe foreigners just a mindless schlep.

Plus, there are too few Europeans I would really want to ever meet. Their history belies, in my opinion, a superiority complex in many instances, of Tower of Babel proportions. No wonder they needed Christianity for so many centuries to civilize many an ego, in my opinion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
This was always one of my favourites.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:38 am
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:40 am
0 Replies