THE investigation

WBYeats

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 11:43 am
@Mika Anna,
Oh! I see. Thank you~

So here comes another question:

1. Do you agree in English we don't use THE for platforms?:

-I arranged to meet my friend John on XYZ platform.

when XYZ is the name for that platform. At the same time, how do we whether XYZ is the name for that platform or not? Does it mean when we have XYZ station, then the platform inside the station is known as simply XYZ platform, not THE XYZ platform?
Mika Anna

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:38 am
@WBYeats,
You know, I don't think I've ever used the word "platform", but I'll do my best to help. Do platforms typically have names? I don't think I've ever seen one with a name... If one was named, though, I wouldn't use "the". If I were to label a platform based on the name of the train station, I would use "the". This is not necessarily correct, but it's what I would say. When naming a platform, though, I'd probably just say "I stood on the platform of Pioneer Station" and avoid the problem altogether. Hope I was able to help!
WBYeats

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:42 am
@Mika Anna,
Thank you~

If based on station names, with THE; then how do we know the name of a platform? (dictionaries say this is a UK thing, where US has TRACK.
Mika Anna

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:56 am
@WBYeats,
I'm not sure I understand... can you clarify, please?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:02 am
@WBYeats,
So here comes another question:

-I arranged to meet my friend John on XYZ platform.

when XYZ is the name for that platform. At the same time, how do we whether XYZ is the name for that platform or not? Does it mean when we have XYZ station, then the platform inside the station is known as simply XYZ platform, not THE XYZ platform?
///////////////////

Again, this highlight the absolute importance of CONTEXT, WB.

No, I don't agree Re: no the for platforms.

We agreed to meet on the Yamanote (Line) platform.

I bumped into her on the Tokaido (Line) platform at Tokyo station.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 12:24 pm
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

Railways as we know them were invented in Britain, and in that country, at a station with more than one platform (most stations are built on two or more tracks), they are usually numbered, and the number follows the word 'platform' thus: platform 1, platform 6, etc.

I arranged to meet my friend on platform 2 (or two) at West Norwood station.

At a station on a single track, then you would just say "I arranged to meet my friend on the platform at Sleepy Hollow station."

In North American practice, at stations which actually have platforms, (which are still called that), if there are more than one they are usually identified by the track to which they are adjacent, often by a number. Grand Central Terminal in New York City has 44 platforms.

WBYeats

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:38 pm
@contrex,
Thank you~

But the problem is, if we just say XYZ platform, not THE XYZ platform, where XYZ is the name for that platform, just as Charing Cross is the name for a station, which situation makes us say Charing Cross station, not THE Charing Cross station, then how can we find out whether XYZ is the name for that platform?

Here if I got into a train station, I would see a large tablet thing saying Market station, so I know it's the official name, so I don't say THE Market station, but here there's not anything like a board saying what is the name for a platform...
contrex

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 01:01 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

But the problem is, if we just say XYZ platform, not THE XYZ platform, where XYZ is the name for that platform, just as Charing Cross is the name for a station, which situation makes us say Charing Cross station, not THE Charing Cross station,

Railways started in Britain in the 1840s and for a long time people DID say "the Charing Cross station". Dropping 'the' is a comparatively modern thing. This is a matter of usage and convention, not a grammatical 'rule'. You can still use 'the' if you want to, but it would be considered old fashioned and formal.

Quote:
then how can we find out whether XYZ is the name for that platform?

I don't actually know where you live, but in all of the countries I have visited, railway station platforms don't have "names". In writing one may choose whether to give a platform a description.

If a station has one platform, either because it is on a single track, or because it has an island platform on a double track, then you could call it 'the platform at XYZ station" without any confusion.

If a station has two platforms, one for each direction, either side of a double track (probably the most common situation in Britain) then the rail companies tend to number them 1 and 2, but many people would describe them by the direction of travel e.g. "the London bound platform at XYZ station" or "the Oxford bound platform at XYZ station".

If a station has more than two platforms, (a busy junction or large city station) then they will be numbered and regular travellers and railway company staff will refer to these e.g "platform 7 at Charing Cross".

However what description a writer chooses to give to a railway station platform will depend on what kind of writing is being done. In e.g. a novel it may not really matter to the reader which platform it is, and the writer may dispense with description: "I met John on the platform at Charing Cross station". If writing instructions, e.g. in a letter or email, about where to meet, one might be more precise e.g. "I'll meet you on platform 10 at King's Cross station".

Bear in mind that in Britain and many other countries you cannot get onto a station platform without first buying a ticket to travel somewhere.
WBYeats

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:04 pm
Thank you~
================================
Is my sentence natural English?:
-For enquiries, please call Water Sports Centre at 1111-1111 or Physical Education Unit at 1111-1111.

Can I omit THEs owing to parallel structure?
McTag

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:52 pm
@WBYeats,

No. You need THE in this example, for both.
WBYeats

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:20 am
@McTag,
Is it because place names/organizations names are different?:

-between father and mother. (no need THE)
-told me story after story of his feats
McTag

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:31 am
@WBYeats,
I'm not sure I can give a short answer to this.

I'll try:
If there's only ONE, (no ambiguity possible) you usually omit THE.
Scotland, Ireland
Buckingham Palace
Grand Central Station

However some proper names already have THE in the title:
The National Trust
The Times of London.

Otherwise examine each case on its merits:
"I gave the book to the father of the boy (this identifies which parent, and which boy).

Not sure if this helps.
anonymously99

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:50 am
@WBYeats,
Capitol s. For station.

Quote:
but why does the writer use it?

Because the writer likes it.
anonymously99

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 05:59 am
@WBYeats,
Let me know how THE investigation goes.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:32 am
@McTag,
Thank you~
===================
Can I say this?:
-Only cheque or cash is accepted.

The only way I can think of in which CHEQUE could be used uncountable is

-by cheque
anonymously99

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:37 am
@WBYeats,
You make my mind deviate.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 01:38 am
@McTag,
Thank you~
===================
Can I say this?:

The only way I can think of in which CHEQUE could be used uncountable is

-by cheque
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 03:53 am
@WBYeats,

Yes.

"By cheque" means, by means of a cheque. By paying with a cheque.

"Can I pay by cheque?"
-"Of course."
"Here is a cheque for the correct amount."
-"Thank you."

(I think Americans use the spelling "check", but to BrE users, the word check has too many other meanings to switch to that)
WBYeats

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 12:23 am
@McTag,
Thank you, but

Can I say this?:
McTag

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 03:37 am
@WBYeats,

Yes, it seems okay to me.

Brief, and to the point, and not ungrammatical.
0 Replies