Is it "The staff is upset." Or "The staff are upset.?

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 03:29 pm
This is extremely embarrassing. I used to know these things! Just like that.

I want to use a plural, because the singular just feels wrong, but my computer keeps changing it to singular.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 2,903 • Replies: 46

rhymer

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 03:51 pm
@dlowan,
In my opinion The Staff are upset is correct grammar!

They will be upset otherwise!!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 03:55 pm
@rhymer,
Yes. "The staff are upset." This sentence is the correct one if one is referring to multiple members of workers in a company. "The staff is upset" would be correct if the speaker was referring to ... say Gandalf's magic stick weapon which somehow became sentient.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I want to use a plural
I agree with you. The plural sounds right.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 04:04 pm
The usage i believe is national. Although i would likely say the staff are, many Americans, most i think, would say the staff is. I don't believe either is necessarily incorrect.
trying2learn

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
I agree with you set. I keep substituting the word "staff" with other words like group or people. People would be "are", group can be either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you all! I shall happily over rule my US English computer.

Though, I could actually handle saying "the coven is upset" or "the board is upset" so I suspect it's really a group singular, if you know what I mean.....can't think of the correct word.

To think I used to have endlessly to parse and analyse sentences! and I could do it. Bored the living crap out of me mad I had forgotten most of my formal grammar by the time I had to learn a language. Sigh.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 04:32 pm
@dlowan,
Groups are singular in America. British? They usually get it backwards.
Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 04:35 pm
@dlowan,
I think i know what you mean. I used to care a great deal that i got these things right. Not in the sense that i alleged there were rules which could be violated, but rather as a matter of good taste, of good writing. These days i don't seem to care so much. This is a relatively recent change in my attitude. It happened at some time in my late fifties--it snuck up on me.
Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 05:15 pm
@dlowan,
Deb, This comes up a lot in my work. American style would be, "The staff is upset." British style would be, "The staff are upset. " I'm supposed to follow American style. What I often do to make the thing work as a plural is I add "members." The staff members are upset.

PS: Tell your computer to mind its own steenkin' business.
dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 05:43 pm
@Roberta,
Oh cool! Her mistress' voice has spoken.

I write British English. I shall slap the computer's face!
McTag

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 05:48 pm
@roger,

Quote:
Groups are singular in America. British? They usually get it backwards.

It kind of depends. The police are looking into this, the army is under strength, it kind of depends what you mean to convey.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 09:17 pm
@dlowan,
It's a good q, Dlo. Maybe it depends upon our immediate concept of the staff as a unit
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Roberta

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 01:24 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Oh cool! Her mistress' voice has spoken.

I write British English. I shall slap the computer's face!

Since when is the bunny such a lady (no offense). Kick the damned thing in the balls. Show it who's boss.

I disconnected all the correcting stuff on my computer. I don't want a machine telling me what to do.
jespah

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 08:49 am
@Setanta,
And recognize odd plurals, like children or oxen. We'd say the children are upset and it would look weird to say the children is upset.
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 10:49 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
I disconnected all the correcting stuff on my computer. I don't want a machine telling me what to do.

You'd rather have a bunch of silly style manuals telling you what to do, Roberta? Look how badly they misled you for so many years just on 'everyone/their'.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 11:07 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

the children is upset.

That would make a great horror movie tagline for a horror movie where a group of children are possessed by a singular demon.
http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/a/ae/Wild_Barts_Can't_Be_Broken_35.JPG
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 11:42 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
This is extremely embarrassing. I used to know these things! Just like that.

I want to use a plural, because the singular just feels wrong,

And you still do know these things, Wabbit. To you, the singular feels wrong. There is a simple explanation for this - your dialect tends to use the plural for 'staff'.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Springfield Children of the Damned!

I'd watch that.
0 Replies