ART TROVE IN MUNICH WORTH 1.5 BILLION EUROS

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 04:40 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks set and izzy. I assume that sets was a translation of idiomatic inference that was probably closer to what was being communicated
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 05:19 pm
@farmerman,
Kollwitz

tell me when
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 05:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll back off.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 05:26 pm
@ossobuco,
what r u talking about??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 05:28 pm
Hasty post.

I'll think back.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:54 am
According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine 23 paintings (by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Franz Marc, Emil Nolde, Wassili Kandinsky and Paul Klee),have been part of an exhibtition in the Busch Reisinger Museum in 1956 ... without bothering anyone.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 04:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
It remains unclear how many of the works were originally looted by the Nazis or confiscated from national galleries as "degenerate art".

Rather than having vanished during the Nazi era, many of the artworks appear have to passed through the hands of allied forces, albeit temporarily. Some of the pictures in the Gurlitt collection were exhibited in New York and San Francisco in 1956, claims Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung . The self-portrait by Otto Dix, meanwhile, which art historian Meike Hoffmann hailed as "unknown" earlier in the week, in fact appears on a property card in the National Archive in Washington.

In another development, police on Saturday confiscated a further 22 artworks from a flat near Stuttgart, owned by Nikolaus Frässle , a brother-in-law of Cornelius Gurlitt.
Source and full report
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Germany will boost efforts to examine the ownership history of 1,406 artworks found in a Munich apartment and will publish details of art looted by the Nazis from Jews, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman said.
[...]
Seibert said the authorities need to balance the “justified interest of the international public” with the interests of the legal inquiry.
“We have to find a legal means of publicizing such artworks with dubious provenance independently from the ongoing criminal investigation,” he said.
Prosecutors projected a handful of the artworks in Gurlitt’s collection onto a screen at a press conference last week. The heirs of David Friedmann, a Jewish businessman who died in 1943, recognized “Riders on the Beach” by Max Liebermann as an artwork they have been seeking for years, and registered their claim with the prosecutor.

The heirs of Paul Rosenberg identified a Matisse painting they say belonged to the family and have requested its return. A third artwork, a drawing by Carl Spitzweg, may be a work sought by the heirs of Henri Hinrichsen, a Leipzig music publisher.
The authorities at last week’s meeting agreed to “push ahead at a considerably faster pace” in investigating the provenance of artworks in the collection, Seibert said.
Jewish groups and heirs’ representatives have expressed frustration that provenance researcher Meike Hoffmann of Berlin’s Free University is the only art historian investigating the haul since it was seized 18 months ago.
Source and full report @ Bloomberg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 11:36 am
Most foreign media only focus to the fact that many "modern art"was collected and owned by Jews. It is neglected, in my opinion, that already from 1933 onwards the German museums were 'looted', apintings taken away (or hidden by museum in 'magazines').

All the 650 paintings of the "Degenerated Art Exhibition" came from 32 German museums. German museums from that time onwards weren't allowed to show paintings from the periods of expressionism, impressionism, Dadaism, Neue Sachlichkeit, surrealism, cubism and fauvism. George Grosz, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Max Ernst, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, Max Pechstein, Paul Klee, Otto Griebel or Ernst Barlach (only to name the Germans) were to be seen for first time since 1933 in the 1937/8 exhibition ... by three million visitors.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpse799dd5e.jpg
Cover of the exhibition guide-book

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps2c5223a1.jpg
Exhibition building in Berlin (before housing the plaster cast collection of the archaeological museum)

The 1937 exhibition was in so far a "highlight" because showed the major pieces of degenerated art which were shown from 1933 onwards (starting in Karlsruhe) in 32 German cities with objects from local/regional museums.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 02:40 pm
The first paintings are now online, more will follow bit by bit ... it is said:
(Since evryone is looking at those paintings, the site is very slow loading!)
http://www.lostart.de/

(Even after 30 minutes, I couldn't load the English site - it took me 15Minutes to get on relevant German one)

At of all confiscated paintings, about 970 have to be investigatet. Out of those, 370 are "degenerated art", with 590 it isn't clear, when and if they were "bought" legally or not.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 02:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Seems that as of now, those paintings can't be accessed via a translated website.
Here's the link for the German sub-page http://www.lostart.de/Webs/DE/Datenbank/KunstfundMuenchen.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you Walter. That German site was slow loading but well worth it.
It is much like the NY ARMORY show of 1917. That show had a mix of modernist and post Impressionist work. I think the "degenerate " work exhibit hqd much to say countering the ARMORY show.

Im curious, What was the public response to the Degenerate art Exhibit? If it was well attended that could mean that Hitller could NOT control taste and culture
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:27 pm
@farmerman,
The 1937 exhibition in Munich run parallel to the larger Große Deutsche Kunstausstellung ("Great German Art Exhibition").

2,009,899 visitors came to Munich degenerated art exhibition - even if those figures were sugarcoated, it still was the largest public attendance of a modern art exhibition for quite some time.

Officially, people streamed there to get educated about this degeneration - like today, you could get a 'combi-ticket': for the good and German art and for the 'not-worth-seeing-stuff'.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 06:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
sounds like it coulda been one of those multi day trips to a National Gallery.
Any news of the Egan Schilles or Gustav Klimt's
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 07:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Any news of the Egan Schilles or Gustav Klimt's
No - I'll keep you informed Wink
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:45 am
I have a theory.

You know that Pope guy? Well.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2504403/Cornelius-Gurlitt-oddball-hid-1bn-Nazi-art-flat.html

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 01:03 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I think that this "opinion piece" in the Daily Hate has a peculiar view on German law.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 03:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
590 more paintings will be shown online next week.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 03:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
According to Spiegel (print edition, shortened version [in German] here ), Gurlitt doesn't want to give back any of his paintings ("voluntarily").
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 03:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Basically he says that he wants the reputation of his father to be restored, that neither his father nor especially he did something wrong, that he wants the paintings back, might sell one ( a Liebermann) to pay his hospital costs, keep the others in his flat.