ART TROVE IN MUNICH WORTH 1.5 BILLION EUROS

izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 05:48 am
@farmerman,
What's almost as interesting is the prospect of similar hoards hidden somewhere in Suburbia.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
Maybe even those 15 Klimts.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:56 am
@farmerman,
Yes.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:14 am
I have a theory that Gurlitt is the guy who keeps coming on to a2k and asking if we can identify paintings.

I thought that one last week with the cute kittens looked like a Rembrandt.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
I think you're onto something.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Apparently a collection of "degenerate art" was amassed by Dr Goebbels via forced sales from Jews that were allowed to emigrate from Germany prior to WWII.
A single piece of Max Beckman work was being quietly sold by a Mr Cornelius Gurlitt of Munich. It was later discovered that My Gurlitt was sitting on about 1500 works of art by Picasso, Matisse, and others . These works were seized by German authorities in 2011. How come its been 2 years since this is even disclosed and what is the German govt going to do to achieve "justice" in dealing with this collection that is reportedly worth 1.5 Billion, or about 10 million for each work.

The news showed this modest little apartment in Munich where Gurlitt apparently lived. How the hell did he get all these works in there undetected and 1500 paintings make a fairly big pile .
All these questions.
I hope that a settlement agreement is forthcoming where the descendants of the original owners are fairly compensated and that the paintings themselves should probably now go into a nationl museum associated with the Holocaust.

Any ideas?
As I 've previously pointed out, Hermann Goering took art in war.
He was caut. He committed suicide.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The cyanide turned his body green, so he must have been a fan of modern art after all.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The cyanide turned his body green,
so he must have been a fan of modern art after all.
His case shud have been referred to a competent taxidermist.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 11:27 am
It remains unclear how many of the paintings were works stolen from museums and private collections during the Nazi era. And how many of these paintings have been bought legally by Gurlitt in the 20's.

Some say re art stolen by the Nazis that due to the immense theft of art committed by the Nazis, there could still be thousands works today that are laying around in private collections.

As far as I understand, prosecutors seized not only the works of art, but also Gurlitt's business papers and inventory lists. These papers would allow to re-enact the story of the paintings.
Foofie

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Some say re art stolen by the Nazis that due to the immense theft of art committed by the Nazis, there could still be thousands works today that are laying around in private collections.

"Laying around"? Or hidden in vaults? This story will be continued in the 22nd century, or later.

All the death, destruction, and lives ruined, by the war, and the value of stolen art (during WWII) is what makes for good news copy. Where's Joel Gray to sing, "Money Makes the World Go Round" (from Cabaret)?

P.S.: It was your use of the phrase, "laying around" that got me thinking that stolen art just doesn't "lay around," just like anything that is stolen doesn't just "lay around."

The fact that art was stolen is just a blip on the radar screen. A book was written by a German women, and I read it a year or so ago, about all the "goodies" (food, perfume, stockings, etc., etc.) that were sent home to the Fatherland from occupying German troops. It was almost a continual Christmas for many a German family that had a family member in occupied Europe (France had the best pilfering). I don't think the book was popular in Germany. It was a library book too.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:14 pm
@Foofie,
I do think that a lot of stolen art is indeed laying around privately ... only to be viewed by some peculiar "art collectors".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:19 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The fact that art was stolen is just a blip on the radar screen. A book was written by a German women, and I read it a year or so ago, about all the "goodies" (food, perfume, stockings, etc., etc.) that were sent home to the Fatherland from occupying German troops. It was almost a continual Christmas for many a German family that had a family member in occupied Europe (France had the best pilfering). I don't think the book was popular in Germany. It was a library book too.
Well, there have always been some goodies sent home or taken away by soldiers: quite a bit was send "home" by US-American soldiers to the USA ... and is now auctioned on ebay.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:22 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
A book was written by a German women, and I read it a year or so ago, about all the "goodies" (food, perfume, stockings, etc., etc.) that were sent home to the Fatherland from occupying German troops.

You've missed your calling Fluff, maybe you can be the one to track down all that missing food perfume and stockings. See if you can track down "a women" to help you in your endeavours.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, there have always been some goodies sent home or taken away by soldiers: quite a bit was send "home" by US-American soldiers to the USA ... and is now auctioned on ebay.

And look what they did with it.

http://funwithfascism.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/american-nazi-party.jpg
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Jesus, you're a nasty ****. It's easy to do that kind of thing to anyone.

http://cache.smashwire.com/bookCovers/f836be6b9ababd6c462de3d1f50230f895d10fe2-thumb

You claim, completely without evidence, that i'm "anglophobic." Yet you never miss an opportunity to gratuitously slander Americans. You're a worthless pice of ****.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:36 pm
@Setanta,
I was responding to Foofie's nonsense. Trust you to make it personal.

Go and have a lie down.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Jesus, you're a nasty ****. It's easy to do that kind of thing to anyone.

http://cache.smashwire.com/bookCovers/f836be6b9ababd6c462de3d1f50230f895d10fe2-thumb

You claim, completely without evidence, that i'm "anglophobic." Yet you never miss an opportunity to gratuitously slander Americans. You're a worthless pice of ****.

In my opinion, how can one be anglophobic, yet live in a Commonwealth country? I think Izzy has left the Foofie fan club. How I pity the poor dear, for his personality. Nothing wrong with it. It's just lacks depth of analysis, in my opinion. Meaning he likely, in my opinion, thinks his post of an American Nazi wouldn't offend other posters, yet, to respond to Foofie's "nonsense", he posts it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Munich Find: Allies Briefly Confiscated Art after WWII
Quote:
Some of the spectacular collection of paintings found by police in a Munich apartment appear to have been confiscated after the Second World War by Allied forces and returned five years later, German daily Süddeutsche Zeitung reported Wednesday. The newspaper based the finding on transcripts of interviews with the art dealer Hildebrand Gurlitt, whose son Cornelius resides in the apartment where the paintings were discovered.

A list attached to one of these transcripts provides information about more than 100 pieces in Gurlitt's private collection, which was stored at the time at a United States collection point in the southwestern German town of Wiesbaden. The list included some of the paintings that were presented at a press conference in Augsburg on Tuesday, including a previously unknown self-portrait by Otto Dix, the painting "Two Riders on the Beach" by Max Liebermann and a painting by Marc Chagall.
According to the newspaper report, Hildebrand Gurlitt successfully lobbied the Allies to return the artworks. His private collection, minus two pieces, was allegedly returned to him in 1950.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Foofie wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, there have always been some goodies sent home or taken away by soldiers:
quite a bit was send "home" by US-American soldiers to the USA ...
and is now auctioned on ebay.
I have a 9mm German Luger P-'08, in superb condition,
with some fingerwear, and matching serial numbers on all stamped parts.
It is date stamped "1940". That is the period of time when England
was at war with the 3rd Reich for its invasion of Poland,
but b4 Hitler declared war on us on December 11, 1941.
I know not its provenance. The pistol is accurate; functions smoothly.
Its 9mm recoil is soft n gentle; holding it in my hand is like getting a hand massage.
Georg Luger invented it in 1898, along with its 9mm ammunition.

The first time that I saw a Luger, I was 6 years old.
My brain locked onto its sleek configuration until eventually
I was able to find one in a NY gun store.

David
Ragman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What the hell does that have to with the pilfered art and this topic?