17

Serial Bingeing

1  
Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 11:35 am
izzythepush wrote:

When a woman asks a man how much he thinks she or another woman weighs it can only end badly.

I honestly don't have a clue.

Neither do I nor do I actually understand why this long winded digression is taking place where we're supposed to discuss our daily orgy of television consumption. Surprised

vonny

1  
Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 02:35 pm
Enjoying House of Cards - brilliant - but getting through the first two series all too quickly, so today I bought the final series of 24 Hours - looking forward to catching up with Jack Bauer!

vonny

1  
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 05:30 am
Caught up with House of Cards and 24 Hours - more please, of both. Bought the boxed set of West Wing yesterday - wow, a lot of episodes! Watched episode 1 today - very different from House of Cards, reminds me of an old series called Moonlighting with Bruce Willis - same sort of fast paced dialogue - pretty sure I'm going to like it. Also bought the English version of House of Cards - will watch that when I get to the end of West Wing.

panzade

1  
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 06:13 am
Hopelessly weak and tired from serial bingeing.
Last night, multiple episodes of Rules Of Engagement and 30 Rock.
vonny

1  
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:47 pm
@panzade,
I ration myself to one episode a day - usually at about 8am when I breakfast - and very occasionally a lunchtime episode - but I still get through the boxed sets too fast. Rules of Engagement and 30 Rock - I think I've heard of the first one, but not the second. Must google them ...
panzade

1  
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:34 pm
@vonny,
Very American dialogue; quick and snappy.
Very quick editing and sophomoric humor.
I'd give anything to get the whole set of Open All Night
from the BBC
vonny

1  
Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:59 pm
@panzade,
This is the only Open All Night I know of ... ?

panzade

1  
Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 04:28 pm
@vonny,
OOPS!
vonny

1  
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:53 pm
@panzade,
Gosh - I remember that. I believe they've made a new series of it with David Jason in Ronnie Barker's old role.

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:41 am
@vonny,
I don't know if it was a series. I did see a one off, I don't think it got any further than that.

I've just seen the last of season 2 of Plebs. It's really good.
vonny

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:45 am
You're probably right -the idea of a new series was mooted but not, I think, carried any further.

Plebs - really funny! Laughing

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:06 am
@vonny,
I think David Jason can pick and choose now. Fools and Horses was put on hold, apart from Christmas specials, while he did Frost. I get the feeling redoing Open all hours would be going backwards not forwards.
vonny

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:09 am
I must admit I'm not too keen on Frost - loved David Jason in Only Fools though, and regularly watch some old episodes.

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:27 am
@vonny,
Until OFAH, it was said Jason could only have success if he was with Barker, (Porridge, OAH.) Every other series he started on his own folded after six episodes.

(He could have been a Python)

panzade

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:01 am
good stuff.
You guys have DVRs?

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:28 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

good stuff.
You guys have DVRs?

No. I was using https://aereo.com/ as my DVR service before the Supreme Court shot it down as illegal.

Lordyaswas

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:32 am
@panzade,
We have various weird and wonderful things here, but the most popular nowadays ( for TV usage) is the gizmo where one can pause and rewind live TV, or record programmes and entire series on digital hard disc.

My freesat box can hold hundreds of hours worth of TV, and costs an initial set up of set top box (about £150) and a satellite dish (about the same, including installation).

No subscription, freesat (there is also freeview, through an ariel) has about sixty odd channels of medium crappola, plus about ten or twelve channels that are pretty good, including all the BBC channels and various Radio stations, all digital.

Most TVs nowadays have this digital freeview facility already built in.

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:55 am
@Lordyaswas,
So no netflix, amazon, hulu etc? Crying or Very sad
Lordyaswas

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:58 am
@chai2,
Do they cost money?

I find plenty enough to watch for free!

" If I was a rich man, diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle dum....."

1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
netflix costs $9 a month.

We cancelled our cable, which was horribly expensive. We watch the news online, get the weather etc. the same way.

With netflix, Wally can be watching something on the TV in the living room, and I can be watching something else on the computer.

In addition, Wallette, when she was living here, could be in her bedroom watching a third show/movie on her laptop.

The main things I live about it is that you can save shows/movies to "my list", search for movies in their archives by name, or actor, and so on.
When you finish a movie or series, you can rate it, and netflix will create a section with similar shows you liked. Also, at the end of a movie, it will immediately suggest a few other similar ones.

Oh! We watched 3 episodes of Peaky Blinders a couple of nights ago. Sheesh. I'm staying away from anyone wearing flat caps.