Serial Bingeing

tsarstepan

Mon 18 Nov, 2013 09:08 am
I've been bingewatching the BBC show, Primeval the past two weeks. Yesterday, I finished season 3 or was it season 4.

Also enjoyed the short season of BBC's Wrong Mans which is on Hulu. I wonder if they'll have another season though I'm not sure how they'll pull it off and what direction they can go with the two protagonists.
vonny

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 04:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Must watch The Wrong Mans on catch-up tv - saw a couple of episodes and it looked quite promising.

Bought the first three series of Breaking Bad today - it got excellent reviews in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks back. Does anyone have an opinion on it - is it really as good as they are saying over here? I want something really great to take me on from 24 Hours!
izzythepush

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:17 am
@vonny,
I saw the first series, quite liked it, but missed the beginning of season 2 so I've not seen any more. I'll either get a box set or wait for it to be shown on terrestrial TV.
vonny

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 04:32 am
@izzythepush,
It's been on television here in the UK? Oops - missed it! The ST were talking about the best new boxed sets - I didn't realise it had been aired over here.

But, to be truthful, I watch very little tv nowadays - and only having Freeview, I guess we are limited in what's on offer!
izzythepush

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:07 am
@vonny,
It was on Fox. (Satellite TV)
farmerman

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:23 am
@izzythepush,
I got Mrs the CDs of all of Foyles War season 7.(He becomes a force against the Soviets after WWII)
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:23 am
@izzythepush,
I got Mrs the CDs of all of Foyles War season 7.(He becomes a force against the Soviets after WWII)
0 Replies

vonny

Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:07 am
Finished 24 Hours - onto third season of Breaking Bad now. As usual with a new boxed set - hooked! But still unsure of my feelings about it. Somewhat depressing!
izzythepush

Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:26 am
@vonny,
I've just watched Utopia. Pretty grim.
http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.13404159.2147/sticker,375x360.u1.png
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:37 am
I've been crashing through the 5 seasons of Fringe (amongst my other usual weekly viewings) this past month. I have the last 10 to 12 episodes left.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:30 pm
I have watched a few of "Midsomer Murders" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118401/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The stories are really weird, or else I can't "get" the British humor. But there is something very appealing about the stories, and I will continue to watch them.
0 Replies

vonny

Fri 7 Feb, 2014 04:19 am
I've put Utopia and Fringe on my list of series to look out for. I do have a couple of boxed sets that I bought on impulse and haven't viewed yet - Lost and The Shield. My husband thought The Shield was great, but I have reservations - mundane cops and robbers, or more? No idea if Lost is any good - lots to watch if it is!

Midsomer Murders always seems to be showing on one channel or another - always pleasant and easy viewing.

0 Replies

chai2

Fri 7 Feb, 2014 08:21 am
Just posted this on another thread.

Got an email alert the 2nd season of House of Cards will be available 2/14/14 on netflix
vonny

Sat 8 Feb, 2014 08:52 am
@chai2,
Looking forward to seeing it. We don't get netflix, but I hope to buy the boxed set at some point. Is the new version with Kevin Spacey very different from the one that came out in 1990?
chai2

Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:14 am
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

Is the new version with Kevin Spacey very different from the one that came out in 1990?

oooohhhhhh yeah.

The skeleton of the story is simiar, fighting your way to the top. However many of the roles that were very small in the Brit version are very large in this one. For instance his wife and his assistant play big parts and develope their own storylines.
Spacey's take on Frank Underwood as vs Francis Urquhart is well....Spacey's.

I was enthralled by it.
vonny

Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:17 am
@chai2,
Thanks for that. You've helped make up my mind - plus, I love Kevin Spacey in almost anything.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:37 am
"Wire in the Blood"
"Waking the Dead"
"The Murdoch Mysteries"
"George Gently"
"NYPD Blue"
"Leave it to Beaver" - seriously, the best sitcom in TV history
chai2

Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:10 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Yes! I love the Beav. The original one, not the version when they are adults.

I love the Andy Griffith show too.

People may make fun of Andy and his country ways, but there were a lot of good life lessons in that show.
Brandon9000

Sat 8 Feb, 2014 02:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Yes! I love the Beav. The original one, not the version when they are adults.

I love the Andy Griffith show too.

People may make fun of Andy and his country ways, but there were a lot of good life lessons in that show.

I think "Leave it to Beaver" is the best written sitcom of all time, and I think that this knowledge is almost completely unknown to people who didn't watch it in prime time. For classy writing, it's tops.
0 Replies

vonny

Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
"Wire in the Blood"
"Waking the Dead"
"The Murdoch Mysteries"
"George Gently"
"NYPD Blue"

They're all on television here, pretty much all of the time, with the exception of Leave it to Beaver - never heard of that one.