My Beliefs revisited

McGentrix

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 02:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
People have been forced to participate in gay marriage ceremonies despite their personal religious beliefs.

Thanks for the laugh, McG. Really.

When people start getting desperate enough to make an argument like that one...especially with that link...it does tickle the funny bone.

Quit trying to force your anti-religious thoughts on me Frank.
Setanta

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 02:59 pm
@McGentrix,
I was just pointing out that your reference to the pledge of allegiance (which is not a legally required recitation anywhere) was ludicrous, get over it.

How do you know that money from the Feds is being used for abortions by planned parenthood? Did Pat Robertson tell you that? Maybe it was Jerry Falwell. One could make a good argument that the prohibition on Federal funds being used to pay for abortions is an intrusion of religion into public life, so that's a non-starter, too.

As for your hilarious BS about homosexual marriages, did you even read your link? From that link:

Quote:
We didn't find cases where people were forced to participate against their will. However, if vendors refuse service, there are consequences. There are 21 states that forbid discrimination based on sexual orientation. Vendors who refuse service there could face legal actions and fines.

The "jail" part of Perkins’ claim is an exaggeration. We couldn’t find any evidence that a vendor had been sent to jail or that any legal authority had threatened jail time. In some states, if a business owner loses an anti-discrimination case and refuses to comply with an order, the owner could face jail, but we found no evidence of that ever happening. One state, Colorado, specifically took action to remove the threat of jail.

We rate this claim Half True.

Shootin' from the hip again, McG? You need to check your ammo before you do that. I'm not surprised to see, though, that you react to valid criticism with snooty personal remarks.
McGentrix

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:11 pm
@Setanta,
Why don't you try it then? It's not that easy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:23 pm
Why would i try to support claims which i consider ludicrous? Why would i try to support your claims when i consider them invalid?

You did give me a chuckle, though, with the "drive past his grave" schtick. I was talking to one of the guys i worked with once, and i said that Belgium was a major arms manufacturer (which is true). This nasty clown we worked with interrupted to butt in and say: "You'd better not tell that one to Sonny, he's been to Belgium." So i said to him: "So are you claiming that means he knows everything about industry in Belgium now? I suppose if you drove through Detroit, you'd claim you know everything about the auto industry, huh?" Really, McG, that was priceless.
McGentrix

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:25 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Why would i try to support claims which i consider ludicrous? Why would i try to support your claims when i consider them invalid?

You did give me a chuckle, though, with the "drive past his grave" schtick. I was talking to one of the guys i worked with once, and i said that Belgium was a major arms manufacturer (which is true). This nasty clown we worked with interrupted to butt in and say: "You'd better not tell that one to Sonny, he's been to Belgium." So i said to him: "So are you claiming that means he knows everything about industry in Belgium now? I suppose if you drove through Detroit, you'd claim you know everything about the auto industry, huh?" Really, McG, that was priceless.

No, really. Francis Bellamy is buried in the same cemetery as my father and 2 brothers. We have a school named after him here and everything. You want a picture? It's kind of a big deal.

As for you trying it? I knew you wouldn't do it. It's far too challenging for someone of your vast intellect to lower yourself to even attempt to examine a different point of view other then to mock it. It's your style.
Frank Apisa

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:28 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
People have been forced to participate in gay marriage ceremonies despite their personal religious beliefs.

Thanks for the laugh, McG. Really.

When people start getting desperate enough to make an argument like that one...especially with that link...it does tickle the funny bone.

Quit trying to force your anti-religious thoughts on me Frank.

Why on Earth would I want to do that.

You are very entertaining the way you are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:33 pm
@McGentrix,
I wasn't denying that Bellamy is buried there, i was just pointing out how hilarious it is to claim that that gives you any special knowledge about the pledge. As for attempting to find justification for things which i consider bullshit, that is not a measure of anyone's intellectual abilities--leaving aside that i have never claimed to have great intellectual abiliites. Nor is what you did an example of examining a different point of view, it was just attempting to justify someone else's BS. I see that you just can't let go of the invidious personal comments. Talk about lowering oneself.
McGentrix

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:42 pm
@Setanta,
Special knowledge? I didn't claim that. You made a swipe at me like I didn't realize that addition of "under god" to the pledge was made in 1954 despite my making a comment in my post about it's inclusion.

So, you can't think of even a single specific instances where the government forced someone's lack of religious beliefs on someone else?

Not even one?

Quote:
I see that you just can't let go of the invidious personal comments. Talk about lowering oneself.

I play to the level directed at me Set.
Setanta

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:53 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Special knowledge? I didn't claim that.

That's odd, given that this was your statement about Bellamy's grave:

You wrote:
That's interesting considering I drive past Bellamy's grave every time I visit the grave yard. You'd think I'd know what the Pledge of Allegiance said when it was written and from the parenthetical comment I made I would have thought you would have noticed that I paid homage to the original Pledge.

Why would i think you'd know that, because you drive past his grave? Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . . you crack me up.

First of all, there was no "swipe at you"--you're the one making invidious personal remarks, not me. This is what you wrote:

You wrote:
(Which is really more the opposite with it's inclusion into the pledge...)

Leaving aside that there would be no reason for anyone to assume from that that you were making a coherent remark on the subject, my remarks were addressed to the general reader. But more important . . .

Quote:
I play to the level directed at me Set.

Level? I made no personal remarks about you. My response was directed at your comments, not at you personally. Any "level" here has been set by your nasty personal remarks. I made none about you.

Quote:
So, you can't think of even a single specific instances where the government forced someone's lack of religious beliefs on someone else?

Not even one?

No, i can't. Perhaps you can enlighten me with one or more examples. Try to keep the snarky personal remarks out of it this time, though, 'K?
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:54 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I gave this some thought, and these are all stretches because it's a hard one but.... (Remember I am just attempting to rise up to the challenge here...)

Thanks for trying. And thanks for playing fair and recognizing that these examples are stretches.
panzade

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 04:20 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
And thanks for playing fair and recognizing that these examples are stretches.

What I like about McG
RABEL222

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:15 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

How can one be forced to participate in anything in the U S of A.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:19 pm
@RABEL222,
Some photographer in I think it was Arizona didn't want to photograph a gay wedding. He was either forced to do so or pay "damages" to the couple.
farmerman

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
he was gonna get sued for NOT accepting an assignment?
That sounds like something Glenn Beck would make up
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can see how that would be true if the photographer signed a contract with "Pat" & Dave and then found out "Pat" was a guy and then tried to get out of the contract.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
How about proof of this rather than just your word.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Some photographer in I think it was Arizona didn't want to photograph a gay wedding. He was either forced to do so or pay "damages" to the couple.

That's because New-Mexico * law considers photographers who offer their services to the public to be "public accommodations". To be sure, that's unusual among American states. But its consequence is straightforward. Public accommodations cannot discriminate based on religion. That means theologically-conservative New-Mexico photographers can't turn down gay clients, just as Catholic motel owners can't deny lodging to Protestant guests. This has nothing to do with imposing irreligion on the accommodations; it's just civil-rights 101.

_____
* I think you mean this New-Mexican case, not some case in Arizona.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:54 pm
@panzade,
Me too.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:35 pm
Embarrassed

Thanks guys.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Fri 15 Nov, 2013 11:21 am
@Setanta,
I'm not taking sides, nor am I commenting on any claims made.
However, just because you consider a claim invalid.does not mean it is.