Obamacare... 'Affordable'???

glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:53 pm
@Rockhead,
"people like you that made enough money to have insurance but choose not to are the problem" -- really? Now that's interesting.

Becaus I don't want to buy into the 'gouge me because you think I'm rich' routine.

Hello... we can't afford it. We are use to a level of living and I'd rather not go back to when we had very little or nothing. That' s about what it's going to take to come up with $20,000 for health insurance.

I already when through some of the bills before... but here they are again. Tell me where I'm squeezing in $20,000. Yeah... shame on me for not wanting to pay for something we can't afford.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me give you just a couple of the bills I had last year... the bigger bills:
Student loan repayment = $15,000 (both of ours together)
Rent = $1,200 a month... $14,400 for the year
Taxes = $22,200 for the year
Food and household items average $1,000 a year = $12,000 a year
Car payments and car insurance for both of us = $7,000
Electricity per month $200 average = $2,400
Cell phones $150 a month = $1,800
Cable, internet, home phone $150 a month = $1,800 a year
Just these bills equal = $70,600

That doesn't include other bills like credit card bills (a few hundred a month)... gifts... maintance for house/yard... gas for cars.

Sure... we could cut back and/or lower some of those bills, but to shave off $20,000 to pay for health insurance??? How in the world do we come up with $20,000 savings from the list you see... and again, I could probably come up with another $10,000 in bills from maintance for house, yard, gas through the year. Not to mention... saving any money for college for the kids... retirement.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:55 pm
@glitchgov,
you're right.

better we deny insurance to poor and sick folks.

then your rates would go back down to where they were when you didn't purchase it before...

(it's probably their own fault that they are poor or sick anyway)
0 Replies

glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Before you get all high and mighty... why don't you let me in on how much you're paying for your insurance.

How much did you pay in taxes last year?
How much are you going to have to pay for Obamacare?

Answer those two questions or are you going to dodge them because you got a tax refund and you'll be getting Obamacare or Medicaid for free?
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Why is the same percent BS?

You make $10,000 in a year... you pay $1,300.

You make $100,000 in a year... you pay $13,000.

Actually... that is BS because one guy is contributing 11,700 more. Good work... I knew you were smarter than I gave you credit for.

I mean wow... the entitlement generation just doesn't get it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:58 pm
@glitchgov,
I did not get a tax refund and I'll not be getting Obamacare or Medicaid for free.

kiss my hairy white ass...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:00 pm
@glitchgov,
I cannot get insurance yet. pre existing conditions.

I am waiting to see if you guys actually kill it before I spend my hard earned cash for it...
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:00 pm
@Rockhead,
That last post wasn't to you. I was talking about the big girl.
0 Replies

glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:04 pm
@Rockhead,
I get why you want insurance... and that's good for you. I'm not saying I don't see why you're happy.

I'm just saying see why I'm not happy.

There should be some happy-medium. Actually... I don't understand why you think paying the same rate rich or poor is so bad. Like my example it shows rich people still pay more.

I hope you get insurance with your pre-existing conditions. But you know how you're upset because the only way you could get insurance is if you paid a fortune for insurance because of your condition... well that's how I feel about having to pay a lot. Why so much?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:06 pm
@glitchgov,
private for profit companies are making money at every step.

plain and simple...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:06 pm
@glitchgov,
I have blue cross blue shield medical insurance and I pay $795 a month for it to cover just one person. I am happy to finally be allowed to pay for an overpriced policy thanks to president Obama so I could get the medical care I've needed for years but was denied insurance.

About seven years ago I couldn't get insurance, had a medical emergency, surgery and a 15 day hospital stay. The state was billed about 250k for my care.

One way or another, we all pay into one or more pools of money that helps others and ourselves.
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
How much is your deductible per year?
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
How old are you? 50ish?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:12 pm
@glitchgov,
Out of pocket is $2,500, deductible is $2,000.

glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Is this a silver plan or above? Why would your monthly payments be so high for one person? Your $2,000 deductible isn't bad.

Each of ours is $5,000 which is unreal for each person... $10,250 for a family.
If we went to a Silver plan our $800 monthly payment would about double to $1,500ish and deductibles would lower but still be high at $3,000 each and $6,000 family.

Honestly... we can't afford it. We'd have to cut back just about everything. We don't go on vacations... we can't afford that. It's not like we are going out and doing things all the time. We definitely wouldn't have any money to save... for retirement or college for kids.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:20 pm
@glitchgov,
Do you think many of the rest of us are able to do any of that these days?
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Are you really paying $795 a month for a premium? There's got to be some reason. You have to have one of the higher plans... like the gold plan. That or you're making over $100,000 as a family size of one.

It doesn't make sense why you'd have a premium that high.

I'm not saying it's not possible... but I don't understand why it's so high.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:28 pm
@glitchgov,
I've made a choice to lower my standard of living to afford health insurance and medical care. I still drive a 20 year old car, still have a computer that runs xp, and use a prepay tracfone that costs me the same as your monthly payment for an entire year.

I'd love to have some new toys, but right now I choose my health over the toys.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:31 pm
@glitchgov,
It is that high because it is the high risk insurance pool, the only thing available to me until 1/1/14.
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ok... but you have to level with me. How much are you really going to pay for this new health insurance.

I just plugged in numbers for NM for a single person. There is no way possible... for someone about 50 years old (which I assume you are about) that you would pay almost $800 a month.

If you're not making it up, then give me the amount you make as income per year. No matter what I plug in, the price is not going to be that.
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh.. okay... and then your cost is going to go down to what when Obamacare starts up...