Obamacare... 'Affordable'???

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 03:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
I agree with that Hawk. Blaming everything on Obama is not a fact.
Garystampa

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:09 pm
@glitchgov,
I grew up in DC, my dad worked for the feds. I have zero faith in their ability to do anything right unless it's taking money from you. What you're complaining about will probably work at some point, but then something else won't. Like my dad always said: "They'll never get it right because: they don't have to!"
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:50 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

I agree with that Hawk. Blaming everything on Obama is not a fact.

the complaint is not that obama is responsible for everything that is wrong, it is that too many at A2K seem unwilling to consider if Obama is responsible for anything that is wrong. America is largly there however, he is fully part of the problems and not solutions according to growing numbers.

in retrospect we prob would have been better off with Hillary, she can certainly be a **** but at the end of
the day she usually puts the best interests of her causes above herself. Obama too often is about the power and emotions of Obama, and after all this time we still dont have the sense that he believes in any causes, which means that he almost certainly does not.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:39 pm
@glitchgov,
good riddance and **** you, you college educated idiot.

god forbid one of your kids gets sick before you decide to get rid of some of your material bullshit and protect them.

teabagger scum...
Kolyo

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:50 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Worth burying in a heap at the dump? Setting afire in the can in your back yard? How do you dispose of your garbage, Kolyo? You see a human being as deserving that treatment? To be treated as refuse?

No, JPB, I have no desire to set the garbage "afire". I'm not a violent person.

The way I see it, though, I'm in a room (a country), surrounded by garbage (compassionless, dishonest, unexceptional people like glitch). It is starting to smell, and I'm starting to wonder how long before the fumes kill me. If I had a way out of the room I would take it. OMG I wish my parents had stayed in Canada after the war.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:10 am
From what little I understand, which is very little, people will have to pay tax on their tax return if they don't sign up.

Who or how will this mandate be enforced?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:13 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

From what little I understand, which is very little, people will have to pay tax on their tax return if they don't sign up.

Who or how will this mandate be enforced?

given how poorly healthcare.gov works this can not be assumed to function. if it does the tax next year is $95.....who gives a ****? it is less than a red light camera ticket.
roger

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:30 am
@hawkeye10,
I think that's $95.00 or one percent of income for the first year. It escalates quite steeply till the third year.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:41 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

good riddance and **** you, you college educated idiot.

god forbid one of your kids gets sick before you decide to get rid of some of your material bullshit and protect them.

teabagger scum...

I'm still trying to figure out how a college educated idiot is making so little as compared to their college loan.

Then, we're going into another subject as to whether college is worth it for everyone....but you know, since I don't know anything about that, or so I've been told, I'll just keep out of that.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 11:45 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how a college educated idiot is making so little as compared to their college loan.

It's a Catch 22 situation.

There's no way to avoid going to college and ending up in inescapable debt nowadays.

In order to realize that going to college no longer makes financial sense, you have to have some knowledge about finance.
But where do you have to go to study finance?
College! Wink
JPB

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:15 pm
@Kolyo,
Or, you need to have started saving for the cost of college for your kids at the age of 1 month and invest it wisely over 18-20 years. And then hope they finish on the four year plan.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:24 pm
@JPB,
200k for 8 years? In 8 years one should have a PhD. There are scholarships. 90k a year with a PhD? The whole thing sounds suspicious to me. A lot of people WORK their way through school. I did.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 01:48 pm
@Kolyo,
I generally agree with you on a lot of things, and this time too. I considered going to Canada when my business partner and I couldn't make our design business and gallery support both of us, sold my house, and needed to move. I didn't have the creds, or so I thought, re starting a new thriving business as a then getting to be senior person to go to, say, Vancouver, and start again. They like credentials, or that's what I'd read. Well, I had fair creds, but iffy health that year.

Some days I think I live in BizarreLandUSA. For example, I now live in what is called the southwest, a matter I'd not understood at all before I got here, but thought I did. Not, pardon me, as slimo as the south, generalizing, but oh so strange for a woman who lived in Venice (LA) for a quarter century and other places in CA totally nearly 50 years.

I considered Mexico, which I've been to at least six times and don't consider myself exactly your typical tourist in, but my spanish is shinola. I can read it somewhat but am a fool speaking and I've no interest in living in some american enclave.

Jo
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 02:13 pm
@IRFRANK,
That works out to 25k per year. That's not a heck of a lot, since we also have living expenses. Eight years sounds extreme, but 25,000 per year sounds kind of frugal for living expenses and tuition. Don't forget books. I had an accounting text that was over $90.00. It was paper bound.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 02:34 pm
@IRFRANK,
Well, this is a first - I finally disagree with you, IRFrank.

All of life is not about wealth gain, though it seems so, and is very useful, I take it.
I agree that if one has children, this matters, but how to get there isn't all that simple.
I disagree that study is about money, in the end.

It's probably true that my interest in knowledge (not that I am so knowledgeable, but I'm curious) is a benefit of my early years in the middle class - before my parents were in trouble - and a benefit of getting into a nearby university that didn't charge tuition, pre Reagan.

It took me five years to get through my BA, working and riding buses many hours, and also changing majors. After that, I took extension classes in art, many units, expensive. Then I took four years of classes in landscape architecture (not a degree, it wasn't a degree program, but required a degree to get into, also costly for the courses), two years of apprenticeship, and passed a national exam.

There are some famous landscape architects out there with more prepossessing qualities than me, but it was a field that was very satisfying for me.. I was happy.

chai2

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 07:08 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

But where do you have to go to study finance?
College! Wink

Not necessarily.

Or even optimally.

It's not rocket science.

In fact, I person I consider my long distance mentor, even though I'm sure I'll never meet him, has this to say.....

Warren Buffett offered some dismissive words on higher education in a conversation with MBA students last month (notes provided by Market Folly).
Here's what he said when asked about the student loan bubble::

The best education you can get is investing in yourself. But this doesn’t always mean college or university. I have two degrees but I don’t have them on my wall, in fact I don’t even know where they are.

I used to be afraid of public speaking, and I realized that I have to do that someday. I do have one diploma I display from Dale Carnegie’s Public Speaking Course and it only cost me $100.

Thus, I don’t think college is for everyone, one benefit is that it gives you a button. In fact none of my three kids graduated from college.

John Mellor did research on group of students for a project. One group was sent to the beach while the other studied at university. Their results are not that different. It’s always about consistent improvement of your abilities.

You should always ask yourself, “does this have any value to me?” I did go to university because of the expectations of my parents.

Buffett himself earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and a Master of Science in economics from Columbia Business School.

His children have had successful careers despite not graduating from college, with his son Howard making a career in business and politics, his son Peter becoming a composer, and his daughter Susy being active in philanthropy.

BTW, his kids never sucked off of him, and he's not leaving them anything in his will.

He's pledged to give away 99% of his wealth during his lifetime, or when he dies.

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 07:39 pm
@roger,
I agree, 25K per year is not a lot. I realize I was fortunate. Don't know if I could do it today.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I understand and agree. I didn't get a BS in 4 years. But spending $200k that you don't have is another thing. I spent 2 years in tech school, then 6 years in college while working to get the BS. Fortunately my employer paid the tuition.
It's much harder today.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 07:45 pm
@chai2,
I'd like to be active in philanthropy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:23 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

That works out to 25k per year. That's not a heck of a lot, since we also have living expenses. Eight years sounds extreme, but 25,000 per year sounds kind of frugal for living expenses and tuition. Don't forget books. I had an accounting text that was over $90.00. It was paper bound.
$22,000 per year - that is the upper end of the average costs for a student here ... including all and everything. And that's thought to be quite a lot!