Where's the outrage now Democrats?

Fedral

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:55 am
Where's the outrage now Democrats?[/u]
Armstrong Williams
April 7, 2004

Sen. Robert Byrd, the longstanding Democrat from West Virginia, cast his 17,000th vote in the chamber last week. Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) saw fit to mark the occasion with a rousing tribute in which he proclaimed, "There is no one I admire more. There is no one to whom I listen more closely and carefully when he speaks on any subject matter than Sen. Byrd."

For obvious reasons, Dodd neglected to mention that Byrd is a former Grand Kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan. Nor did Dodd dwell on the fact that Byrd voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 or that Byrd broadcast his racial insensitivity by using the N-word during a 2001 appearance on Fox News.

Instead, Dodd simply praised the former Klansman from West Virginia as a gifted legislator and a stout defender of the Constitution.

This is somewhat puzzling considering that when Sen. Trent Lott remarked that the country would have been better off if former segregationist Strom Thurmond had won his 1948 bid for presidency, the Democrats demanded his ouster. And rightly so. Lott's racially-insensitive remarks were indicative of his upbringing in "a time and a place" that regarded blacks as inferior. Lott's remarks suggested that he just didn't get it, that he had no ability to truly empathize with what it means to be a minority in this country. The Democrats understood this. Flanked by the Congressional Black Caucus, they pumped their fists at Lott and demanded that he vacate his post.

Yet, they say nothing when one of their own praises a former Klansman. They haven't even asked Dodd to issue an apology. This is an outrage. Some things should not be explained away, like Byrd's affiliation with an organization that has a long history of hanging blacks from trees.

And yet, there is Dodd, on the Senate floor, demanding that Sen. Byrd "would have been a great senator at any moment. He would have been right at the founding of this country. He would have been in the leadership crafting this Constitution. He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this Nation. ."

Really? A former Klansman would have been great during the Civil War? Great for whom? I'm not aware of many Klansmen who fought to free the slaves, or to uphold the union or to protect basic rights.

Had a Republican praised a former member of the Ku Klux Klan, the Democrats would have been up in arms. But when one of their own makes racially-insensitive remarks, they avert their eyes. Some things should not be ignored. Some things should not be subject to the whims of partisan politics. When our elected leaders spew racist remarks, they need to be held accountable - regardless of their political affiliation.

It would be nice if the party that demanded Sen. Lott's ouster for praising a former segregationist could be equally outraged when one of their own praises a former Klansman. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Democrats to end their double standard on race.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,083 • Replies: 101
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
This cracks me up. Byrd is about a million years old, and his Klan membership back in the day is no secret. What the hell does it have to do with the war in Iraq?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
I am Shocked! Shocked and outraged!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:19 am
Nothing. It has to do with the firestorm over Trent Lott's comment about Strom Thurmond. And the absent firestorm over Chris Dodd's comment about Robert Byrd.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:20 am
I guess one difference might be that Byrd was in the Klan many decades ago, while Lott's comment happened quite recently...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:24 am
Careful, Turantal will post a thread from freeper if you disagree with him. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
D'artagnan wrote:
I guess one difference might be that Byrd was in the Klan many decades ago, while Lott's comment happened quite recently...

Byrd was in the Klan many years ago ... the comment MADE about him by Dodd was recent.

Result for person making comment ... none.

Strom Thurmond was a segregationist many years ago ... the comment made about him by Lott was recent.

Result for person making comment ... loss of position and forced to apologize.

Oh yes ... NO similarities in what happened. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
It occurs to me Fedral that

a. The good citizens of Connecticut made an unfortunate choice for a senator.( Get in line)

b. You're going to asphyxiate yourself unless you come up with a couple more examples of Democratic (edited) insensitivity to racism in the United States.(Dixiecrats excluded)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:34 am
Re: Where's the outrage now Democrats?
Fedral wrote:
Where's the outrage now Democrats?[/u]

He's in the White House.

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
The double standard is alive and well.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:19 am
hobitbob wrote:
Careful, Turantal will post a thread from freeper if you disagree with him. Rolling Eyes

What's this all about?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:28 am
Your posting of entire threads from freeper instead of discussing an issue. It is stupid, intrusive, and not even remotely useful. Articles are a different matter, especially the bloviations that you and fedral frequently spam the board with. They at least have value as comedy.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:30 am
Bad day hobitbob?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:37 am
When you post an article in its entirity Fedral, we assume you stand behind every word; unless you exclude a sentence or two.
I'm waiting...tap...tap...tap... for another example of a Democratic double standard in matters relating to racism in the United States. Let's narrow it down to the last 20 years.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:39 am
No, but I think that this person's posting of entire threads from other chat boards is a waste of space here. I play on other boards, as do others, but while I might refer to discussions elsewhere, I would not presume to post threads. I wonder if doing so doesn't violate the TOS of those boards as well as ours? It certainly seems like waste of space.
Elsewhere, Tarantala posted under the title "Dr. Rice's Testimony," not the testimony, but commentary from a chat board. Who cares? I would rather read the opinions expressed here than opinions of posters whom I don't interact with, and to be honest, would prefer not to interact with.
As I said, the fiercely (to the point of ridiculousness) partisan op-eds that Tarantulas and Fedral on the right, and Titus and Pist post on the left at least serve as examples for discussion. I have posted things from questionable sources like commondreams in the past as a method of stimilating discussion, but, again, when an acquaintance of mine is banned from A2K for inviting another poster to another chatboard recently, I wonder at the logic of allowing a different poster to do something even more intrusive?
Have a nice day, Kraven.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:49 am
Calm down hobitbob. Laughing

I'm no fan of articles an' such but just don't see it as something to get that worked up over.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm
Fedral seems to be able to hold his own on any particular issue, but here are a few more examples of double standards re racist remarks:

A Lott of double standards-----------
Posted: December 19, 2002
1:00 a.m. Eastern
Editor's note: The following column contains language that may be offensive to some readers.
© 2002 Laurence A. Elder

Who says white men can't jump? After Trent Lott's latest - and so far, fifth - apology, this time on Black Entertainment Television, where he announced his support for affirmative action, Lott may soon come out for reparations.

The feeding frenzy over his stupid Strom Thurmond birthday remarks show a) the appalling double standard of the Democrats, b) the glaring double standard of the news media, and c) the self-defeating, near-pathological Republican Party fear of being branded as racist.

Yet the press gives liberal racism/racial insensitivity/race-baiting remarks a pass:

Congresswoman Diane Watson, D-Calif., demands Lott's resignation. Watson, then a California state senator, opposed California's Proposition 209, the ballot initiative to rid the state of race- and gender-based preferences. About Ward Connerly, the black businessman who spearheaded the effort, Watson said, "He's married to a white woman. He wants to be white. He wants a colorless society. He has no ethnic pride. He doesn't want to be black." At least Lott apologized, whereas Watson later defiantly said, "That's right. I said it."

Congresswoman Maxine Waters, D-Calif., denounces Lott, but she once called former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan "a plantation owner," and during a police-incident-turned-racial by Waters, said that she never sees the cops abuse "little white boys."

Donna Brazile, Al Gore's campaign manager, called the Republican Party "the party of the white boys." "A white boy attitude," explained Brazile, "is, 'I must exclude, denigrate and leave behind.' They don't see it or think about it. It's a culture." She later said of black Republicans Rep. J.C. Watts of Oklahoma and now-Secretary of State Colin Powell that "they'd rather take pictures with black children than feed them." Both Powell and Watts called her comments "racist."

Al Gore, in a campaign stop at a black church, called the 2000 presidential election a matter of "good vs. evil." He also said that when George W. Bush used the term "strict constructionist," this hearkens back to a time when blacks were "three-fifths of a human being."

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said of the 1994 Republican Congress, "It's not 'spic' or 'nigger' anymore. They say, 'Let's cut taxes.'"

Nation of Islam's Louis Farrakhan officially supports a separate geographical area for blacks, as set forth in the organization's website. Farrakhan made anti-Semitic remarks, and, among other things, called Korean shop owners "blood-suckers." He supported the presidential candidacy of Jesse Jackson who, despite calls to do so, refused to renounce the group.

Jesse Jackson called Jews "Hymie" and New York "Hymie-Town." Al Sharpton called Jews "diamond merchants" and denounced "white interlopers." They both apologized, and the matter quickly died. Never mind that Sharpton jump-started his career by falsely accusing a white district attorney of rape in the fraudulent Tawana Brawley case. Sharpton never apologized.

Director Spike Lee pronounced Trent Lott a "card-carrying member" of the Ku Klux Klan. Never mind that the director said he disliked interracial couples, "I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street."

Democratic California Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante, as described in my new book, "Showdown," received comparative kid glove treatment when, incredibly, in a speech before a group of black trade unionists, he referred to blacks as "niggers." After Bustamante's profuse apologies, the story died.

Colleagues call Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., the "conscience of the Senate." Yet, after a Lexis-Nexis search of 32 years of media reports, NewsMax.com reported that the former Klan member never used the "A-word" or the "S-word" ("apology" or "sorry") in renouncing his membership. Last year, Byrd apologized for using the term "white nigger," and the storm quickly subsided.

Trent Lott suffers for his past support of Bob Jones University, a school that once banned interracial dating. Yet, incredibly, the National Association of Black Social Workers officially opposes "trans-racial adoptions" of blacks by whites, calling them "cultural genocide."

In Chicago, white Alderman Thomas Murphy, a Democrat representing a predominantly black district, attempted to join the City Council's black caucus. "The only reason I was given [for the denial]," said Murphy, "was that I'm not an African-American elected official. I believe that the purpose of the caucus was to represent the interests of the black residents of this city. Apparently, they think otherwise." No story.
This in no way excuses the bone-headed, offensive remarks made by Lott. But let's apply the same standard to non-Republicans. Lott's implosion proves the opposite of what those with race-colored glasses claim - that racism remains a potent force in American life. As Denny's, Texaco and John Rocker learned, white racism long ago withered as a growth industry.

So here we are. An alleged segregationist goes on a channel called Black Entertainment Television to apologize for suggesting support for racial separation. Only in America.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
The Free Republic thread on Dr. Rice is up to 3402 replies as of right now. I certainly didn't post it in its entirety, nor would I even think about spamming this board with something like that. IIRC I've only posted comments from a FR thread on here twice, and both were from live events. Once was when people were listening to Al Franken's radio show and commenting on it, and the other was Dr. Rice's testimony this morning. If you'll go back and look at this morning's thread, you'll see that in almost every case, the writer was describing something that actually happened and not adding political comments. There were some extreme right wing views posted in the FR thread that would be of no value here, so I didn't post them.

Other articles I post here are linked back to their original sources, not to Free Republic. And as for being "fiercely partisan," yes I am, and proud of it, too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:28 pm
Hmm...there is so much talk about polarization between the democrats and the rebublicans. I think this thread is a fine example of common ground between the two parties. If they could only sit down and admit: "You know what? We may disagree on a lot of things but let's face it, we both hate everybody! We're all trying to rule the USA, which I am sure we can agree was based Puritanical ethics....if we combine our powers, we could achieve our greatest goals: A single party system, and building the fourth and last Riech, American-style!" they would indeed fulfill the American dream according to those in power. Free donuts, coffee and ammo will be availble at the polls.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:51 pm
Thousands Express Outrage at Dodd Comments; Media Still Silent
By Jimmy Moore
Talon News
April 15, 2004

SPARTANBURG, SC (Talon News) -- Although thousands of people have signed a petition calling for a public and official rebuke of Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-CT) since last Thursday, mainstream media and members of the Democratic and Republican Parties have maintained their silence regarding comments made by Dodd on the floor of the U.S. Senate on April 1.

Since GOPUSA, a conservative news and commentary organization, started a "Call for a Public and Official Rebuke of Sen. Christopher Dodd" petition (web site) last Thursday that will be delivered to members of the United States Senate, the response has been overwhelming from literally thousands of people who are disgusted by the apparent double standard being promoted by the media and members of the Senate.

As reported by Talon News last week, Dodd made a speech on the floor of the U.S. Senate two weeks ago commemorating the 17,000th vote made by Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV).

In his extended comments about the longtime Democratic senator, Dodd exclaimed that former Ku Klux Klan member Byrd "would have been right at anytime."

Dodd concluded, "I cannot think of a single moment in this nation's 220-plus year history where [Byrd] would not have been a valuable asset to this country."

Byrd was a staunch, vocal opponent to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and holds the distinction of being the only senator in U.S. history to vote against both the nomination of the late Thurgood Marshall as well as Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court, the only two blacks ever appointed to serve on the nation's highest court.

The GOPUSA petition requests that Dodd be treated in the exact same manner that Lott did.

"We, the undersigned, call on Sen. Dodd to honor his own words and do the right thing. We call on members of the U.S. Senate, both Republicans and Democrats, to step forward and show that a double standard does not exist. We call on all members of the U.S. Senate to publicly and officially rebuke Sen. Christopher Dodd for praising a colleague with a known racist past and for the insensitivity in which he has dealt with this issue. We also call on members of the media to address this situation with the same vigor in which they covered Sen. Trent Lott's comments."

Despite the statements by Dodd, much of the mainstream media have basically ignored the story. However, many conservatives are decrying the double standard of the media rejection of this story compared with the all-out blitz against former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott in 2002.

At the 100th birthday party for the late Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-SC), Lott said at that time that if he had been elected president in 1948 running as a member of the segregationist Dixiecrat Party, then "we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years."

Lott was pressured through a series of media appearances to apologize for his comments and, ultimately, was forced out of his leadership position.

But not Dodd.

Several conservative commentators have chimed in on what should happen to Dodd.

Bobby Eberle, the President and CEO of GOPUSA, says that Dodd's comments should not be "swept under the rug."

"This is the most obvious example of a double standard that I have ever seen," Eberle told Talon News. "Democrats claim over and over again to be 'sensitive' on issues of race. Yet, when one of their own makes ridiculous comments, they are silent. The silence is deafening."

Eberle also expressed frustration over the lack of outrage by Republicans.

"Time and time again, Republicans simply roll over," Eberle said. "Trent Lott lost his position as Senate Majority Leader for remarks which were not nearly as bad as Dodd's. However, no one is speaking up. It's simply embarrassing."
(...)

"[Dodd] was talking about a bonafide racist - not a repentant racist," Farah contended.

Disgusted by the lack of attention given to Dodd's remarks in the media compared with how they treated Lott, Farah said "Dodd has no such worries" because "he has gotten a free ride from the major media."

Farah concluded, "Dodd has caught a break so far. Not one Democratic official in Washington has dared to criticize him for his ghastly remarks about one of the biggest embarrassments serving in the U.S. Senate."

Conservative radio talk show host Kevin McCullough asked one of his black Democratic listeners last week if Dodd openly supported a former KKK member, would it be okay to ignore what he said because he is a Democrat.

The caller responded, "Of course..."

"It has been now over a week since Christopher Dodd stated that the man who filibustered the civil rights act would be a great leader for all of America, and aside from a fair and balanced report from Fox News - no other [television] news outlet has picked up the story," McCullough lamented.

He continued, "Tar and feathering Senator Lott for making similar statements on the one hand, the media outright ignores more inflammatory statements from Senator Dodd on the other."

Cavalier Daily Associate Editor Whitney Blake states the clear difference between the reaction by the media to Dodd and Lott is that one is a Democrat and the other is a Republican.

"Both of the senators that were extolled [by Lott and Dodd] had questionable records on civil rights in the past," Blake wrote. "One of the senators who commended his colleague is forced to resign from his position. The other gets virtually no attention."

Blake observed, "Whenever the issue of race is brought up, Republicans are criticized and Democrats get a pass."

Finally, conservative black radio talk show host and columnist Armstrong Williams said the treatment of Lott's comments were right, but the Democratic Party should expect the same of Dodd.

"They haven't even asked Dodd to issue an apology. This is an outrage," Williams expressed.

He added, "It would be nice if the party that demanded Sen. Lott's ouster for praising a former segregationist could be equally outraged when one of their own praises a former Klansman. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Democrats to end their double standard on race."

As reported by Talon News on Tuesday, a black leadership group called Project 21 has asked Dodd to resign from the United States Senate based on his own criteria set during the Lott media frenzy.
"If a Democratic leader had made [Lott's] statements, we would have to call for his stepping aside, without any question whatsoever," Dodd told United Press International at the time.

He continued, "If Tom Daschle or another Democratic leader were to have made similar statements, the reaction would have been very swift. I don't think several hours would have gone by without there being an almost unanimous call for the leader to step aside."

Project 21 spokesman Kevin Martin said Dodd should heed his own comments and resign.

"Senator Dodd's statement is tasteless and wrong," Martin declared. "It's time for him to follow his own advice and leave."

----------
"ATTICA, ATTICA!!!"
0 Replies