North Carolina nearly nuked.

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 03:39 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
This is such silliness. B-52's did not carry "four-megaton" nuclear weapons. The detonation of a bomb has to be effected by the bombardier. The detonation process is not like a light switch.

If you're referring to dial-a-yield, this bomb was probably before that was implemented. It was not the very first generation of H-bombs, but it was one of the older ones.

But even if the bomb had dial-a-yield, the maximum yield would still have been 4 megatons.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 03:55 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, people should stick to things they know about.

So shut up and bog off.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 05:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, would you translate the caption under the picture please.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
It wouldn't even rattle their martini shakers in DC.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 07:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
A four-megaton nuclear bomb was one switch away from exploding over the US in 1961, a newly declassified US document confirms.

Two bombs were on board a B-52 plane that went into an uncontrolled spin over North Carolina - both bombs fell and one began the detonation process.

Wouldn't that be ironic.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 07:36 pm
@izzythepush,
I worked with nuclear weapons in the air force, and it's impossile to bhave that kind of "accident."
A bombs do not work with a "single switch."
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 07:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I worked with nuclear weapons in the air force,

Right alongside Robert Oppenheimer.
BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 07:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I worked with nuclear weapons in the air force, and it's impossile to bhave that kind of "accident."

Of course not and nuclear weapons are about as safe from going off by accident as any weapon design by man to date.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 07:53 pm
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.
J. Robert Oppenheimer

Then they handed off the football to the US and sin exploded and proliferated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 10:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
No-one said such.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:06 pm
I dont think that the USA learned much, just two years ago we had several high ranking Airforce Officers relieved because of massive nuke security failures...I want to say in Louisiana but my memory is foggy on this. I do remember several experts shocked at how lackadaisical command was.
roger

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 11:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
That might have been the time when a couple of nukes were sent cross country on transport catagory aircraft. It was kind of a big deal for a while.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

That might have been the time when a couple of nukes were sent cross country on transport catagory aircraft. It was kind of a big deal for a while.
sounds right for the start, then there was an emergency study ordered by SecDefense that that showed massive problems with nuke security procedures in the Airforce. So far as I remember the Navy come away clean.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:16 am
Well, the bomb didn't destroy North Carolina in 1961, however recent elections putting a republican in the Governors role, and converting both the state senate and state house into republican control, Raleigh has completely gone rogue and is busy erasing all of the steps taken to make North Carolina a modern, progressive State with a fantastic education system and Universities the other states envied. So it moved forward for 50 years and then self-nuked itself back to 1850.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 12:21 am
@glitterbag,
One correction, the current republicans do not in any way resemble Lincoln, Eisenhower or Bush 1, they are lunatics pretending to be solid republicans. Save your Confederate money boys, the South thinks they can do it all alone.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 01:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
There were four switches, three had failed.
BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:07 am
@roger,
Quote:

An during the cold war we would be flying hundreds of nukes in bombers 24/7 day in and day out and no big deal.

Love the news media in so many ways.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:12 am
@BillRM,
You don't know that. This incident happened over fifty years ago, and the truth of what happened has only just come out.

One can only hope that lessons were learned, but if say a similar incident had happened in 1971 we wouldn't know about it for another ten years or so.
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:17 am
Whackeye is in here pretending to remember things which happened before he was in kindergarten and Bill has latched onto this subject with a death grip, never letting ignorance or incomprehension deter him. This thread is well and truly f*cked.
BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:20 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't know that

Do not know that hundreds of bombs was flown routine over everyone head 24/7 during the cold war?

Or that the news media had make a bit deal of it happening recently by error?