Top Ten Things Professors Do To Skew You

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:35 am
nimh

Sorry. The Rumsfeld statement was, I thought, a paradigm case of manipulation of language a la Orwell's brilliant essay, the sort of analysis most likely to be found in a university setting.

The second two were not particularly related, agreed. It was just that the folks I like are on this thread. And I'm lonely, and cry all night long.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:39 am
Aw...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:40 am
Thomas wrote:
Ideological pundids dislike professors because facts and logic kill ideologies, not because something is wrong with the professors.

Well said and quite right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:51 am
Yes, I had wanted to comment on that one, too. Very much agreed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:44 pm
Nimh scolded me a little for being unfair in my treatment of American Viewpoint (who, as you'll remember, had devised this little drill that showed there was a non-statistically-valid* determination of the political stance of professors). While I agreed, in principal, that I was grossly unfair to them, I thought I'd add something else from their website so we'd all know just WHERE this "non-partisan" group is coming from. Just to be fair, this is their entire page titled "WHY" with a few things bolded by me for a more "powerful message." Very Happy

*A poll based on "answers" from self-selected sampling cannot be considered valid. Only those who have a bone to pick are likely to reply. The more moderate answers will be left out of the mix by the nature of who is willing to respond to the questions.

Quote:

Why You Need Us

Proven nationwide experience from presidential to local politics;
Washington-based firm with a national reputation for winning campaigns with action-oriented analysis and powerful message building;
The client diversity of a big firm with the client attention of a small firm;
Expertise on the gender gap, and building coalitions between the devout/secular right and moderates;
Linda DiVall's reputation as a strategist, whose accuracy and candidness has earned her the clout and attention of Capitol Hill and the national press corps;
A National Monitor polling program for tracking of emerging political trends and development of GOP message strategy; and
An array of services: custom designed surveys with client-specific banners, trend DARTS, focus groups designed and moderated by American Viewpoint, and Perception Analyzer groups.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
I read an old speech given by Tim Robbins. The fact that he's a liberal doesn't negate the facts he presents here. Even worse, this is grade school:

"A relative tells me that a history teacher tells his 11-year-old son, my nephew, that Susan Sarandon is endangering the troops by her opposition to the war. Another teacher in a different school asks our niece if we were coming to the school play. "They're not welcome here," said the molder of young minds.

Another relative tells me of a school board decision to cancel a civics event that was proposing to have a moment of silence for those who have died in the war because the students were including dead Iraqi civilians in their silent prayer. A teacher in another nephew's school is fired for wearing a t-shirt with a peace sign on it."
0 Replies